Docking ships with tractor beam

I have tried to get a disabled fighter on my command ship with tractor beam. First time i used the tractor beam everything worked fine. I was asked if i want to dock the ship. I pressed Y but then i had fighter bays without power. So i thought no problem ... i powered up my fighter bays and tried to do it again, no chance .. i never got this question again.

What can i do else to dock a fighter to my ship???

Was it:

1) a fighter of your own carrier?

or

2) a fighter you disabled during combat?

If (1), then you should be able to tractor and recover it at anytime without problems. I hadn't any problems with repeatable recovery attempts so far.

If (2), i don't think you could recover it since your fighter bays are allready occupied by your own crafts.

Yet i still haven't figured if we can replace a destroyed fighter by capturing an enemy craft of the same type like the one we lost...

quote:

Originally posted by APOLLO:

Yet i still haven't figured if we can replace a destroyed fighter by capturing an enemy craft of the same type like the one we lost...

IMHO you can't, you have to buy a replacement in the spare parts section of the TRADCOM menu at a starstation to replace the destroyed craft.

quote:

Originally posted by APOLLO:

Was it:

1) a fighter of your own carrier?

or

2) a fighter you disabled during combat?

If (1), then you should be able to tractor and recover it at anytime without problems. I hadn't any problems with repeatable recovery attempts so far.

If (2), i don't think you could recover it since your fighter bays are allready occupied by your own crafts.

No you can't, you must buy a replacement.

quote:

Originally posted by Zhdophanti:

I have tried to get a disabled fighter on my command ship with tractor beam. First time i used the tractor beam everything worked fine. I was asked if i want to dock the ship. I pressed Y but then i had fighter bays without power. So i thought no problem ... i powered up my fighter bays and tried to do it again, no chance .. i never got this question again.

What can i do else to dock a fighter to my ship???

You don't have any manual control over the power allocation for fighter bays. So I have no clue what you're talking about.

If you have power to launch control turned off and the tractor fails, going back to Logistix and turning the power back on, and the trying then going back and attempting tractoring it again beam, works fine. I just tried it.

"powered up my fighter bays and tried to do it again, no chance .. i never got this question again. "

The simple answer will be to off the tracker beam and immidately on again. The question to recovery your support ship will be given again.

quote:

Fixed way back in BCMG

quote:

FIXED: If you attempt to tow a unit when there is no power to launch control and cannot, when you turn power on to launch control and try again, the tow operation will fail. What was happening is that after the message "LAUNCH CONTROL NEEDS POWER" message is displayed a further message: "RECOVERY FAILED" is queued. This message had a zero display time, which is used when asking a question. But no question was issued with this message. The consequences of this situation are:

1) the message is never seen

2) the message remains locked in the message channel (waiting for a response)

3) the icon representing the person asking the message will remain on the display

4) further messages from the person are queued but never seen

The deadlock is cleared when the message queue is flushed.

Also as others have stated it must be your own craft you are trying to recover.

Thanks for all this answers ... unfortunately i can't remember anymore what i've done in detail (own or enemy disabled spacecraft) But i will try again.

But after reading all your answers it should be possible to recover a disabled craft if it once belonged to me?

And moreover if i tow a fighter of me with my shuttle and this shuttle docks to my battlecruiser is the fighter then docked too or do i have to tow it with my battlecuiser?

quote:

Originally posted by Zhdophanti:

But after reading all your answers it should be possible to recover a disabled craft if it once belonged to me?

Yes.

quote:

And moreover if i tow a fighter of me with my shuttle and this shuttle docks to my battlecruiser is the fighter then docked too or do i have to tow it with my battlecuiser?

Why don't you just try...

• 3 weeks later...

Couple quick questions that seem to belong in this thread...

An intruder steals one of my fighters and exits into space.

I turn on my tractor beam to recover my fighter.

As the tractor beam locks onto the fighter, the fighter suddenly explodes. This has happened to me a few times.

a) Did the intruder self destruct the fighter?

a.1) If so is there any way I can recover fighters stolen by intruders?

B) Did I cause the explosion by doing something n00bish?

Thanks in advance for any help

Guest MIKE113

quote:

Did the intruder self destruct the fighter?

Yes. I don't think you'll get it back once it's gone. As soon as you here Intruders are onboard IMMEDIATELY turn off Launch Control.

quote:

Originally posted by Ockham:

a) Did the intruder self destruct the fighter?

a.1) If so is there any way I can recover fighters stolen by intruders?

B)
Did I cause the explosion by doing something n00bish?

Yes. No, you can't get it back if its destroyed, you have to buy a new one (FC Asset). Check the tutorial Quick Hints section). If its stolen, you could try tractoring it - and hope its not booby trapped.

You did not cause the explosion. High AI intruders can booby trap stolen crafts in the same way cargo pods are sometimes booby trapped.