Problem with mining drone

Some days ago i wanted to send a shuttle to a moon for a mining mission because my cc run out of radinum. I had no idea what to do and so i searched in forum and manual. OK!

I went to tactical view, zoomed to planet, set 1 "Proceed to next"-Waypoint and then 2 km away a "Deploy probe"-Waypoint and so on. Then i sent my shuttle away. Everything went fine until the shuttle wanted to deploy the probe. The shuttle was in a height of about 2000 feet (or metres ) and info showed that it was about to LAND. But obviously with a incredible low speed! 100 feet per minute. Somehow it was always circling around all the time over the same point.

So i don't know what i've done wrong. Maybe i should set the "Deploy probe"-Waypoint a little bit lower, but i couldn't find out how to do this.

Any help??

Its mining drone, not mining probe

[ 05-22-2004, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

2km is not far enough. 10km is the minimum separation between waypoints that you need, due to the shuttle's very high speed.

The altitude of the waypoint is irrelevant. The shuttle will project its landing point base on the location of the waypoint, not its height. So even if you have the waypoint at 5000 ft in the air, the shuttle will go there, then descend to ground zero AGL at the location of the waypoint. It doesn't care about its altitude.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

2km is not far enough. 10km is the minimum separation between waypoints that you need, due to the shuttle's very high speed.

By the way .. then please fix this in the Tutorial where i read this (on page 40):

"Create a second waypoint as before, but make sure that it is at least 2km

from the previous waypoint. Give this second waypoint the Deploy Drone

order."

I have another odd problem. After deploying my mining drones and leaving them to work on a planet/moon, later on when I come back to pick them up, sometimes one of them is missing. It simply isnt there. Its not upside down, it wasnt destroyed, its simply not there. I checked the TacOps computer and I couldnt see the missing drone. The radar didnt acuse anything either. And on my Tactical Computer it said both drones were working perfectly and they were even filling up over time.

Any sugestion to what might have happened?

It probably breached the surface mesh. If it's underground, your systems can't see it and an AI shuttle can't recover it. It will still show up in the Tactical menu as a viable asset ... consequently, you can't replace it.

The only solution I hadn't tried was to climb into a shuttle and try to recover it myself, using the SC's TLM Drones-Extract menu. Since having the problem, the saved game has been deleted and I've been more careful with deploying my mining drones.

quote:

Originally posted by MadFox:

I have another odd problem. After deploying my mining drones and leaving them to work on a planet/moon, later on when I come back to pick them up, sometimes one of them is missing. It simply isnt there. Its not upside down, it wasnt destroyed, its simply not there. I checked the TacOps computer and I couldnt see the missing drone. The radar didnt acuse anything either. And on my Tactical Computer it said both drones were working perfectly and they were even filling up over time.

Any sugestion to what might have happened?

Here we are again. The last time someone reported this, I asked for a saved game. And never got it.

If you have a saved game (check the tech support forum for the topic on how to pack up and send saved games), I'd like to take a look at it. Please make sure that you are running the latest version of the game.

I seem to be experiencing the same sich. Two drones on moon, both full, and can't locate either of them. I sent all 4 to the same location, 2 missing now. I have a saved game if you'd like it sent SC.

EDIT:

Didn't read your post well enough. Can't see good tonight, lost one contact due to too much gaming.

Zipping it now, will send it soon

Can't say I've seen that one, I've got a mining drone on the moon and it's easy to find. Problem is it's running around like a lunatic so I might have to shoot it's wheels out or something, I was going to get it earlier this evening but the shuttle had some problems after the launch bay got damaged..... bloody pirates.

quote:

Originally posted by Medivh747:

EDIT:

Didn't read your post well enough. Can't see good tonight, lost one contact due to too much gaming.

Zipping it now, will send it soon

Did you send in the saved game to [email protected]? (the email address has changed, due to too much spam). I have not received it.

OK, So I took a Mk3 shuttle to the moon and went hunting for my mining drone.

I couldn't get it to display via TACOPS even though it was listed as a support unit, picking a point at random on the moons surface let me pick the drone up in the distance.

I set a waypoint near it, drop down to the moon and picked it up with no problems.

quote:

Originally posted by Medivh747:

Yes I sent it to that exact address, and it hasn't bounced back. Hmm. Sorry SC, I'll send it again tonight when I get home.

I am quite certain that you sent it to [email protected] because I only changed to the new email address late last night and I only updated the forum thread containing the new email address, this morning.

I usually try to keep my mining drones away from mountains and hilly areas. It seems that my pilots are more incompetent/crash prone in these areas. If they do end up in these areas, try to get your shuttle to tow your mining drone to somewhere flat and then try to retrieve it on flatter terrain.

• 2 months later...