The best accessory since the joystick

Last Christmas I received a pair of wireless headphones, not having much use for them, I stuffed in the closet.

Last week, I near went nuts one day trying to keep watch on my Megaron while I was cooking supper. IÔÇÖm really paranoid, and had to check my ship every 30 seconds (Who knows what Resnig could do to my ship when IÔÇÖm off-duty?) It probably wouldnÔÇÖt have been so bad if there wasnÔÇÖt a staircase between the kitchen and my computer.

After burning supper, I decided to dig out the set of wireless headphone and try them with Universal Combat. They worked great! Now I can put my mind at ease, and actually get some work done, while leaving my ship to itself (although I near kill myself scrambling up the stairs when the klaxon sounds).

Although I am a little worried, IÔÇÖve been using them so much lately that I am starting to hear the repetitive drone of the crew all the time, even when IÔÇÖm not playing.

For anyone who is paranoid (like me) about leaving their ship alone while waiting for repairs to finish, mining drones to fill, etc. a pair of wireless headphones is a worthwhile accessory.

quote:

Originally posted by neograymatter:

Last Christmas I received a pair of wireless headphones, not having much use for them, I stuffed in the closet.

Last week, I near went nuts one day trying to keep watch on my Megaron while I was cooking supper. IÔÇÖm really paranoid, and had to check my ship every 30 seconds (Who knows what Resnig could do to my ship when IÔÇÖm off-duty?) It probably wouldnÔÇÖt have been so bad if there wasnÔÇÖt a staircase between the kitchen and my computer.

After burning supper, I decided to dig out the set of wireless headphone and try them with Universal Combat. They worked great! Now I can put my mind at ease, and actually get some work done, while leaving my ship to itself (although I near kill myself scrambling up the stairs when the klaxon sounds.

Tell us who makes this device...

Ha! See SC! I'm not the only one!!!!!!

Hey, Neogray....

Get some that are voice activated. Then you'll only be disturbed when a klaxon sounds and don't have to listen to every little blurble of ship noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Me sees a new use for SMS messaging...

Imagine developing an interface that will not only alert you to things happening on your ship, but allow you to respond with orders, all through your cell phone or pager.

You could run to the grocery store and still maintain contact with your ship!

I can just see you people getting wearing wireless glasses that project the computer screen to your retina. Like those things they have on the Jem'Hadar ships.

Next, get a set of VR gloves to boot. Slowly close your grip around Resnig's neck....

quote:

Last week, I near went nuts one day trying to keep watch on my Megaron while I was cooking supper. IÔÇÖm really paranoid, and had to check my ship every 30 seconds

I like the idea of wireless headphones.

I've only recently started - and have turned the speaker volume right up when my ship has been busy trying to get somewhere and I've had other things to do.

I nearly broke my toe when the siren called me back from the kitchen last weekend. But I comforted myself with the thought of the pain that the crew must have suffered as they hurried back to their posts.

Perhaps one day my life will be as exciting as the charged particles rushing around my computer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

No argument here, Wireless headphones sound pretty nice. If ya start hearing a drone of the chatter when your not playing... Disable it... If your hearing the drone or your engines... Well... Turn the volume down a little, alarms should still be loud enough to alert you.

Just a game?... Perhpas... but it's the fuel of imagination.... besides... what ELSE are ya gonna do at work on a slow night!

There's also something called VAC(Voice Activated Commander). And there's also VoiceAct and Game Commander. They allow in a game the giving of verbal commands that replace keystrokes.

So when you hear the klaxon, yell

"Eject, Eject, Eject"

My only problem with Voice Recognition software is that knowing MY luck, I would be playing and someone would come by or call, and something I say to THEM would be interpreted as a command. That could be "BAD" depending on the conversation.

But it's an interesting thought, definately worth looking to. With locked doors and no phone of course.