Description of races and castes

Is there a description of the races and castes around anywhere?

Does one race work better for a particular caste or career?

I didn't see anything but a listing of the race names in the manual. No descriptions, alliance/war information.. no stats that would indicate a better choice for one caste/career over another.. and listing of the careers.. but again.. with no indication which race/caste combo would be best suited..

ie... Would a Syrion Paramedic make the best Medical Corps Marine?

Without the info to go by.. kinda hard to tell.

The folks who've been playing in the Battlecruiser universe for years may even be laughing at that combo... But.. all I could really do was read the names out of the manual. ::shrug::

It does however say to choose wisely and cautiously.

So.. I ask again...

Help?

-JH

Topic changed. "So..I ask again" is not a valid topic as it will lead to false positives in the search function.

[ 05-24-2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

The only information in this regard, is located in the appendix data. Go to the program group created by the installer and in the Docs group you will see a link to the appendix. You can go from there - and there is a lot of information there.

I never heard of a Syrion Paramedic

Let me ask something related (to this thread I believe) since I've read the data. Each race has a degree of technological superiority / development, and has in its description the kind of general aggression or political affiliation it has. Are these things quantified in the game or is this just background fluff? We all seem to have access to the same assets (with the exception of the Stormcarrier the Gams have), so is there any advantage to choosing one race over another? Does one race get access to upgrades faster, or have more efficient research officers? (That would seem strange since the ship crew is the same no matter what the AE's race is.)

I'm curious about this too.

ZM out.

Good guess....

Maybe it will affect the starting AI setting of the crew and how fast or well they raise...

quote:

Originally posted by Zane Marlowe:

Are these things quantified in the game or is this just background fluff?

They are quantified in the game and bear no relevance to what ships a race can use. That would be like saying the French shouldn't be driving around in German cars. Just because, well, they're French.

The race/caste alliance system is very sophisticated and apart from the NPC auto-generation AI rules, bear relevance to how the world is run. The alliance matrix itself changes over time as this further shapes the world dynamics.

As for crew and assets, the argument is moot. There too many races and castes and I didn't want to differentiate as to what race has what asset. The issue with crew is down to art resources. The original BC game had you playing only as Terran Military Commander. Which was fine with only humans. Once BCM came around back in 2001, the ability to play as any race and several castes introduced the need for not only images but almost 1000 voice files - per race. I decided not to do it because the tradeoff in the ability to play any race, caste, choose any asset etc, is worth it.

So it affect the way the universe look at you and how you interact whit it but not the way you are...uhm... ... that make sense seeing that a gammulan that have a low research skill and a terran that have a high research skill perform equally in this task...not affecting the crew development or starting stats...

Ok, message understood...

quote:

The alliance matrix itself changes over time as this further shapes the world dynamics.

So thatÔÇÖs why some ships marked green turned around and decided to attack me in the middle of battle! I couldn't figure out what was going on at first, and that moment of hesitation near cost me my ship (I couldn't bring myself to attack a green dot). Luckily my PTA's were indiscriminate and killed the traitorous raiders.

quote:

Originally posted by neograymatter:

So that’s why some ships marked green turned around and decided to attack me in the middle of battle!

Probably. But remember also that all NPCs have a friendly fire memory. If you shoot them once or twice, they assume that it is friendly fire. Keeping doing it and they will temporarily disable their alliance matrix and defend themselves. Give a strike order to your forces and its all out war which will propagage along the alliance tree until you are either dead or they forget. They have long term memory which can last up to four (used to be eight) hours. Real time.

Never thought those aliens would outsmart my goldfish! But now I have just become a little bit scared of them.

Mighty long term memory by the way, sure beats the hell out of my goldfish!

For real, never realised that the relations modelling in the BC/UC world was that complex! Great work, SC. As some other members have said earlier; "You get amazed again time after time while hanging out in the BC Universe".

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my theory:

Evidently the command crew comes standard with the ships. All of the races use the same ships, (Stormcarrier excluded) so naturally they would all use the same cloned command crews to fly them. Why would they risk their own people when they can just use some cheap, stupid, human clones, (ie Resnig) to fly their ships.

It is a "clone war" of sorts. All of the "real" people are sitting around sipping on mai-thais in underground bunkers just watching the show. Just think, every time you blow up an enemy ship, you are ridding the universe of another Resnig.

I guess they never did fix the problem with gene-fading. You know, cloning a clone. Things just seem to regress more and more, the more you do it *eyes Resnig*

So think about this...the more times you kill Resnig...the stupider he gets...