Pilots only, or Pilots and Co-Pilots

Guest kenny87

Guest kenny87

Been flying the Super Carriers lately, they have 8 fighters and 8 pilots...1 pilot per fighter.

BUT! Each fighter also has a back seat for a copilot so I'm wondering what are the advantages of having a copilot take the back seat?

Do they react faster to pushing the shinny button for the EMD?

Assess threats faster?

The way I understand it is that the Pilot concentrates on flying and the Co on weapons, though if only one Pilot is at the craft it still can fire, maybe then it's at a decreased rate and or accuracy?

Maybe someone else can provide in-depth details?

I also remember hearing about improved situational awareness and ECM abilities when you have a back-seat on a fighter. Or is it better SA and the simple fact the fighter even -can- use ECM with a back-seat. Cant remember which.

another advantage to co-pilots is: if there are both,pilot and copilot, in a fighter. when boarding parties head for the fc, they are shut out of the whole fighter, and the pilots are less likely to be injured. if you only have the pilot in his seat, the intruder gets in the fc and the pilot takes damage. I am NOT absolute, that this is the case. It is the apparant case, based on my observations, during such situations.

It also seems, that the co-pilot, IS the bomber, based on their ability increase, after finishing assignments.

Newbie is not present anymore if I am correct.

Anyway, thanks Reno, I did find the thread:

quote:

Anyway, a copilot handles threat assessment and improves the overall SA of the pair.

A copilot can - depending on AI and skills - pilot a fighter after the pilot dies.

It is common practice to rotate pilots to different positions during sorties, this way, they can all eventually perform well as either pilots or copilots.

And no, there is no gender bending going on, so, male and female pilots are subject to the same AI rules. One gender isn't more superior than the other.

--------------------

President, 3000AD Inc.

Designer/Lead Developer

The Battlecruiser Series

Warmonger Specs

This is the part we were aiming at.

[ 05-27-2004, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Mordax Blyrr ]