Fuel planning

In aviation fuel planning is one of THE most important things when preparing a flight.

In an AAR I saw a fellow Cmdr. speak of "enough fuel to make it to(...)", suggesting some sort of preperation has been carried out (probably meaning he just loaded up as much minerals as possible ), made me thing about this issue.

Because the distances in space are even more then on earth just like the amount of remote locations (not even mentioning the hostile ones ) I was wondering how you can plan your fuel for a great navigation trip.

In the appendices there's no such thing as fuel consumption tables for specific engines, nor does it show in your navitron.

Any suggestions, maybe from veterans who have calculated some custom consumption tables based on their experience?

quote:

Originally posted by Mordax Blyrr:

I was wondering how you can plan your fuel for a great navigation trip.

Simple. Buy as much Radine as you can. And once the CE tells you that you are running low on Radine, he ain't kidding. Find the nearest station.

SC is right - buy enough Radine that you don't have to worry about it. HOWEVER, I also want to emphasize the importance of upgrading your engine and reactor as soon as possible. It makes a real difference in your fuel consumption. Sorry that I haven't actually figured out the numeric difference.

Personally, I think that engine and reactor are the most important upgrades. But thats probably because I once got stuck in Gammulan territory with 100 units of fuel left. (Don't explore fluxfields until you've upgraded!)

OK well, I ordered two Marine squads to guard the mineral compartments.

If they spot someone even pointing their finger at my Radine stock they are obligated to use deadly force AND bring the ashes to my desk personally!

quote:

Originally posted by Mordax Blyrr:

OK well, I ordered two Marine squads to guard the mineral compartments.

If they spot someone even pointing their finger at my Radine stock they are obligated to use deadly force AND bring the ashes to my desk personally!

LOL!!! Yeah, thats the spirit.

but yeah, spamllama (!) is right, upgrade your engine and reactors as soon as you get the chance.

Ya, first thing i upgrade is reactor, then usualy do either engine or shield second (depends on cash flow and how combative im feeling =p). Starting setup burns like 65 radine a jump and 1 every 2 min or something. Can clear out that starting 1000 or so radine quite fast. Numega/trellis is i belive 10 a jump and 1 every like half hour. Makes a VERY large impact.

With the recent changes to cargo pods, it is quite easy to rack up enough cash quick to do full non artifact upgrades, atleast in single player with auto generation.