Capturing stations.. a different idea.

Hi all:

Anyone else think capturing stations is just way to easy? Step 1: Ready HJ. Step2: Save game, Step 3: Engage Cloak, Step 4: Move up to 0.00 distance of station, Step 5: blast away with 100% main gun power no PTA's until station armor reaches ~1200 points. Step 5: Lower gun power to 10%, repeat blasting until station goes into SOS. Step 6: Disengage cloak, hop aboard your brand new station!

Well I have some ideas on how to change all that and hopefully no major work for SC! I assume situations occur where marines are still deployed in space for combat (although come to think about it, I have not seen that in UC yet.. only in my BCMG version). Anyhow, what about this:

How about instead of just capturing the station as we do, we have to deploy marines into space to actually board and recover the station for us BEFORE the station can recover enough points to re-engage point defenses?? Example:

We blast the station defenses down to say 2% armor which brings all station defenses offline. At this point the station deploys marines as its remaining defense against being boarded. We do the same with orders to our marines to capture the station. While this is happening we have to wait until the marines tell us they are ready to board by radio message. When they do, we have to hit the station again to bring armor/damage to 1% so the station goes into SOS. At this point any of our marines that lived and made it to the point of being able to board the actual station, can now do so thus taking over the station for us! Once our marines board the station becomes ours... HOWEVER..

Let's say our marines LOOSE the battle to the station.. well we in our battlecruiser better be damn ready to HJ outta there cause while the marines are fighting to get to the station and you are waiting for word to hit the station to force it to go into SOS, the station damage repair crews are doing just that.. trying to get the station defenses back online while you are sitting there decloaked at point blank range! Should your marines fail in thier mission.. you might hear your crew say something like "NOW might be a good time to leave, Sir!"

SC? Anyone else?

Guest Shingen

I think you only have 2 SF marines per BC, and the other marines can't space-walk...so you'd have to secure the station with 2 marines.

You really think it's easy to take a station? Then try it with a cruiser (no cloak). I actually got bored and tried this a couple days ago. 2 hours and 46 restored games later, I finally managed to get my first shot at the station, then I died ... again. Has anyone ever succeeded in taking an enemy station without cloak?

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by neograymatter:

How do you go about capturing a station without useing cloak? Every time I try IÔÇÖm dead before I can even exit hyperspace.

Observation, intel, timing and a whole lotta patience.

hint: never HJ to a station without being cloaked! It's about one of the fastest ways to die in the game.

EDIT

Actually you can HJ to a hostile station, I've done it once or twice. It's not easy to do and I wouldn't advise doing it in AP/AI mode either.

[ 06-11-2004, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Shingen ]

I have played BC from day one and also have NEVER been able to capture a station without cloak engaged. When you HJ in without cloak the stations vaporize you before you even exit from HJ.

If you have done this, explain it because in the years I have played I have yet to do it.

SC: Didn't realize my idea might be taken as new feature.. which is NOT the intent.. I thought maybe it was just a different command structure/script that could be implemented for the objects to behave differently. No matter.. You have enough to do as it is..

Just thought it might make for a good use for the space marines as well as make it really challenging to take a station intact.

quote:

posted 06-10-2004 08:01 PM You really think it's easy to take a station? Then try it with a cruiser (no cloak). I actually got bored and tried this a couple days ago. 2 hours and 46 restored games later, I finally managed to get my first shot at the station, then I died ... again. Has anyone ever succeeded in taking an enemy station without cloak?

YEP !! used a megaron, captured the NEW AMERICA...!! I was a terran POL, and took out captured the Insurgent Space Station)... if you want to know how I did it, I guess I would have to put it in the Tips and Tricks catagory....

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Malakie-USN:

I have played BC from day one and also have NEVER been able to capture a station without cloak engaged. When you HJ in without cloak the stations vaporize you before you even exit from HJ.

Generally if you just target a hostile station and jump, 8 times outta 10 you're going to die. However, it is possible to control your direction of travel in manual mode. If you know where the station's blind spots are, you can point your flight path vector in that direction.

If the station is currently engaging other targets, it's a good bet you can exit HJ without too much damage.

quote:

If you have done this, explain it because in the years I have played I have yet to do it.

Taking a station in a cruiser is hard to do, no doubt. But it is possible. It takes alot of planning, alot of time and alot of strategy.

Fleet C&C can also be a big plus, but remember, even in a cruiser, you still have Space Force Marines, 2 shuttles and mines.

[ 06-17-2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Shingen ]