Wierd gamer review @ PC IGN

reanor

http://rr.pc.ign.com/rr/007/007440.html

This is wierdest review I've ever read. So does this guy like the game or not? I think how he said in the end it doesn't really matter graphics, music or anything else even if it's 7.5 score. Gameplay is 10, with both hands I agree. My overview would end up somewhere around 8.5 or even 9.5. Graphics can be tweaked with your Video card "force". Music can be added manually, I think.. Not sure about this one though . And for the end if you don't like the way things look on the planet, well don't focus on deep planet ops, man there are realy millions of possibilities in this game. As this man said it's not the game actually, game ends sooner or later... Go try to finish Unreal Combat .

As further it goes as more I like UC. Some people just can't "bear" all the complexity and the scope of it.

Looking forward for UC:E2E and even after it's out I will miss original UC, but how fortunately I'll still have it. Unreal Combat is created to live in it, not to play . Live on...

P.S. This guy's overall score is 9.4.

Subject changed. Damn n00bs. Can't get anything right.

[ 06-30-2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Maybe that was my problem in the beginning,
that I was expecting a conflict and a solution
and another member to add to my 'beatengamesthatsitonmyshelfandareforgotteninaday' club. Instead, I spent $20 on a universe.

Bingo!!!! (bolds are mine)

I think he liked it.

I got an overall positive impression from that review, I'm sure we all know by now what UCs strengths are, and he pretty much hit the mark on it's 'limitless' gameplay. Yes action junkies its not about how 'interactive' that small box of an environment is, its how many things you can do outside that box!!

It's good to see some honest opinions coming from people who ACTUALLY BOTHER to get deeper into the game and see what this baby can do.

I actually got into the concept of what this series was attempting to do back in '97 even before I picked up my BC3K 1.0 box. Even then I knew it was gonna be big and now... whatdaya know.

Just my 2c...

Personally, I've never experienced a game quite like this, yet, first night I loaded it, I was in front of the game for 12 hours trying to "figure it out". LOL!

I have NO idea how I missed the earlier versions. Avid gamer since Zork came out, lived for WC (man my 486/66 was such a screamer back then). I feel, honestly, that I have missed out on something SO significant that I cannot quite put it into words.

Regardless, I guess this is a case of "never to late". Way to go SC! Keep it up, you've introduced this "action gamer" to something way beyond imagination!

....aaaand the BC Necromongers continue the onslaught.

"Convert or perish"

Anyone who would classify me as a Phanboy would be risking extensive dental work. I haven't seen boy in decades.

Phan of the BC series? Not yes, but HELL YES!

The Battlecruiser series was a discovery that I had long looked for. Ever since I read my first Heinlein novel. Ever since I started using the new fangled computer gadgets. Ever since I sat awestruck in front of our new color television and watched man's first trip to another solar body. Ever since I started dropping quarters into those arcade boxes with a twinkle in my eye.

My head has been in space ever since I first discovered what was beyond the cloudy blue atmosphere of our home world. It became a place I could only dream of visiting with the sophisticated machines required to do so.

Derek brought that dream to life when he sat down and began compiling the code for BC3K.

He created a new universe to explore in lieu of what is needed to explore the one we live in.

To compare the BC series to any other game would be a travesty. BC is a genre unto itself.

Like the reviewer said, it's not a mindless twitch and click game. Nor is it linear, boxed, or confined to someone elses imaginatory story line. In one word it is INFINITE

OK, I should stop now so Derek can still get his head through his domicilliary portals

I was always thinking that what we can't get from real life we try to acquire in games. I was always looking mostly up than down, was wondering about space and stuff. Was actually on the path to become a pilot, then things didn't work out and I had to stop dreaming and start leaving real life. That's how I ended up being IT tech. I was always looking for game that could replace what I've lost in the past and so far I have to play few games to feel comforted . But so far UC is the most comforting game.

I want something better for sure, something that would let you jump into realms of virtual reality. I wonder when gaming industry will step in that area of next generation games. Judging on how fast and advancing technology progresses probably in a few years we will have first real VR games.

THAT has to be the MOST HONEST review I have EVER read!! and you KNOW he actually PLAYED it...long term!!

I had looked, for this kind of game, for over 20 years. Ever since, I moved up from my TSR-80 to my NEW 8088/Dual 5.25" floppies!!

I stumbled into a computer center, to purchase about 20 of those old 8 pin dip memory chips(needed to upgrade to the MAX 512K memory) LOL

Any how, I picked up MY FIRST game: "STARFLIGHT". The package said 5 programmers worked 5 years developing it. RAMDOM GENERATED PLANETS.(it was comprised of one 360k program disk and and one 360k data storage disk)

it was'nt very graphic, of course. CGA/Hercules monocrome capable. It had a huge universe, with planets you could land on...but That was the bug that bit me!!! (all those old floppies died years ago)

When I stumbled upon BCMG Last year, I about FAINTED!!. UC was the icing on the cake.

[ 06-30-2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: street ]

Well my experiences with the genre don't go back quite as far, but David Brabens 'Frontier: Elite 2' on the Amiga 500 was what got me hooked to this present day (beleive it or not there are still many fans playing this game!).

Just goes to show what an impact a decent space-sim like UC can have on people, and if this were the last game of it's kind to ever be made, then I'll be playing it for many years to come.

Fortunately it's not the last game from 3000AD but from what I've heard on forums Derek said that he is going to get back to original BCG and make games on original line. There won't be another Universal Combatkind game, it is not very good news, but maybe Derek will come up with something even better. Next projext UC:E2E promises to be pretty but much smaller than UC and there is no other UCs in plans. I might be wrong though. No other announcements out there for games except E2E and XBOX game. But I guess E2E will hold us for a while. After that EQ2 will be out and I will probably forget about other games for a couple monthes . Yeah plus HL2, Doom III, enough of games for the rest of the year and till the middle of next one .

• 1 month later...

Man Doom III was awful. Painkiller took the crown of ID for that! Having finally got my teeth into UC, other FPS games and even strategy ones that I like such as GCII seem almost lame and uninspiring. I got to the end of Painkiller, but I just can't be bothered finishing the last level, it holds no interst for me. when I sit at my desk and look at the icons on the screen many say click on me, play me, but all of them get swallowed up by the unobtrusive UC icon...and then too many hours disappear and the wife is once more threatening my game collection with a pair of man sized sissors