Printer Friendly Manual Appendix ?

Tinjaw

I am grateful that the manual appendix is available, however it appears to only be available in HTML format with the update. My problem is that I can't Alt-Tab out of a game to read the manual appendix as the game will hang. So, has anybody reformated the info to be printer friendly? In it's current form stuff ends up spanning multiple pages in an unreadable manner when printed from a web browser (Not to mention needing to print out web pages manually one at a time.)

Hey Tinjaw, welcome to the forums!

The HTML version of the UC appendix comes on the CD in the Hyper-Text Markup Language (HTML) format so that you can quickly and easily move from one section to another. One of the best ways to learn how to play Universal Combat is to first read the HTML documentation and then run the game and read from the manual and appendix at the same time. For example: this approach is particularly effective in learning keyboard commands.

However, Tinjaw, you are indeed correct. The game does have a tendency to hang if forced from the foreground (such as when switching between the UC program and a web browser). To avoid this, it is best to have two computers in the same workspace: one running the game (maybe a desktop) and the other displaying the HTML manual/appendix (like a laptop). But, since this is often not feasible for people with only one machine, there is a version of the UC appendix in Post-script Display Format (PDF; as indicated here).

You cannot currently download it from the UC downloads page. Let me check on this....

OK. I can't get it from my game registration page because it's probably not a restricted download (as are the UC patches). Tinjaw, here's what I'm going to do: I have the PDF appendix for UC on my hard-drive. I have sent you a Private Message on a different subject matter. Please reply and also include your e-mail address. I will then send you the zipped PDF as an attachment.

As a token of my appreciation I will take the HTML version and "printify" :-) it. This may take a week or so as I don't get much free time for such projects. I will then post it on my website in PDF format. If you approve of it after you download and check it out, I would gladly have you host it on 3000ad.com and save me the bandwith if it proves popular.

Is the manual appendix in 2.00.11 the most current data available? I believe that is what I have.

Good thinking, Tinjaw! That will fix the problem the SC mentioned above.

I like this guy, Derek. So far, he has demonstrated a good level of competence.

[ 07-22-2004, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: Quazar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tinjaw:

As a token of my appreciation I will take the HTML version and "printify" :-) it. This may take a week or so as I don't get much free time for such projects. I will then post it on my website in PDF format. If you approve of it after you download and check it out, I would gladly have you host it on 3000ad.com and save me the bandwith if it proves popular.

Is the manual appendix in 2.00.11 the most current data available? I believe that is what I have.

Great!

And yeah, I don't envision any further changes to the appendix in 2.00.11

OK. I got a copy of the "old" PDF file and when I opened it I was surprised that it was just the HTML imported into Adobe Acrobat as a website. There was no special formatting to make it printer-friendly.

Since was that was all you folks were expecting from my I did the same. The file is available in the download section of my personal website.

(note - free registration required to keep down my bandwidth usage and shutdown direct linkers)

Now for the bonus

I had already fully intended to reformat the PDF to be printer-friendly. I am working on that version now and will post it as well when I am finished. That version will take some time as I can only devote some time to it every now and then. I may post partials as I get them completed.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Tinjaw:

I am grateful that the manual appendix is available, however it appears to only be available in HTML format with the update. My problem is that I can't Alt-Tab out of a game to read the manual appendix as the game will hang.

I've had most of my luck with ALT-TABing when the game is running in a window (/w1 in the command-line).

When playing fullscreen, UC doesn't multi-task worth a phuck, but running in a window, the game will run all day long with several other programs.

quote:

Originally posted by king_cam:

huh doesnt work for me says that the program is not a sys32 valide something??? oh well

Did you save it as an .exe file? Can somebody else confirm or deny this? I guess I can make the zip available as well. But can somebody first confirm this exe is a problem.

download worked for me also the exe extracted into directory

you didnt answer my question from before

quote:

hey tinjaw if ya want some help i'll help ya out

i'd be willing to setup a dhtml css conversion to html - html printer friendly

Hey TinJaw, PM me your email address so I can send you a draft of a printer-friendly manual that I've been working on but have not as yet finished. It's about halfway done I think and it's in word document form with a table of contents, section and page breaks, etc. (i.e., it's a well-formatted doc.)

I might be able to save you some time.

ZM out.

quote:

Originally posted by Zane Marlowe:

Hey TinJaw, PM me your email address so I can send you a draft of a printer-friendly manual that I've been working on but have not as yet finished. It's about halfway done I think and it's in word document form with a table of contents, section and page breaks, etc. (i.e., it's a well-formatted doc.)

I might be able to save you some time.

ZM out.

Thanx. It's no secret. [email protected]