Target Cancellation at random

CedricB

I've noticed sometimes UC just suddenly decides to cancel the current target or suddenly choose another one. Is this the tactical officer or something? It's kind of annoying when it does it right before I'm about to initiate a hyperjump or launch a missile in the middle of combat. I know I'm not hitting any buttons by accident because a few times I didn't have my hands on ANY controls when it happened. Here's the situation for a few times I can remember...

1. Targeted a Stormcarrier and it's fighters were swarming around me. Range was in the 60s. I activate my EMD using J and suddenly I'm targeting one of the fighters. Had to reselect the Stormcarrier to launch my missles.

2. Hyperjumping from TO EARTH in Jupiter to the wormhole. Midtransit I loose the wormhole target for some reason. Was in manual flight, not auto-pilot.

Bug or WAD? (Works as designed)

The game does NOT do that. If you are using a joystick, then your hat key must be doing the auto targeting.

The only time a target would be auto-cleared is if it goes out of scope (destroyed, cloaks, jumps out of region etc)

CedicB.... your example 1), I always assumed, was WORKS as designed,,,,I figured it was sensor interference.

as for that which happens (and it does happen alot) when heading for something, and loosing target acquisition(space stations, jump gates, wormholes, etc.)for no apparant reason...I dont know. It is like a lot of annoyances, you would expect, in ANY real life scenerio.... a Pain, but not worth the effort to diagnose..or experiment with.(in MY opinion)

Sometimes, I think, it has something to do with the PTA system being activated, but it could be just as easily an incompetant Tactical officer, I suppose.

IS"NT the open ended RP capabilities of UC, just FANTASTIC?....I love it!!

Now that I think about it, I periodically use mouse controls and turn off the joystick. I'll see it if happens when I'm just using the mouse too. I really don't think it's the joystick, as my X45 doesn't do any strange things in other games.

This happens to me too, I don't even HAVE a joystick connected when playing. Sometimes the target just clears. For instance, out near a wormhole, and watching a ship in the system... look away, look back, no target selected, didn't even have hands on my DESK. The target was still very much alive and moving, I just had to reset it. This also happens to me when I'm monitering my shuttlecraft... I'll be watching it as it's running about doing a cargosweep, and I'll suddenly lose the target.

As for the target switching with the EMD, I noted that too, but I assumed it was that when you activate the EMD, the targeting system puts a priority out on the object that launched on you so you could 'handle' it.

"The game does NOT do that."

-Supreme Commander has Spoken

"Well, it's NOT SUPPOSED TO, but it is doing so..."

-Me

Which key would clear the CMD of a target? I could narrow something down... and I don't feel like manual or hotkey fishing. (CMD: Combat Multiview Display, not the OFFICIAL name for the stuff, but I like using the term.)

quote:

Originally posted by street:

[QB] CedicB.... your example 1), I always assumed, was WORKS as designed,,,,I figured it was sensor interference.

as for that which happens (and it does happen alot) when heading for something, and loosing target acquisition(space stations, jump gates, wormholes, etc.)for no apparant reason...I dont know. It is like a lot of annoyances, you would expect, in ANY real life scenerio.... a Pain, but not worth the effort to diagnose..or experiment with.(in MY opinion)

Sometimes, I think, it has something to do with the PTA system being activated, but it could be just as easily an incompetant Tactical officer, I suppose.

When you activate the jammer the target will switch to the nearest hostile, I assumed it was a WAD.

quote:

IS"NT the open ended RP capabilities of UC, just FANTASTIC?....I love it!!

yes, it is fantastic I couldn't agree with you more

[ 08-12-2004, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: jamotto ]

• 4 weeks later...

In my experiance it always happens when you are targeting something that is not on your current scanner thing at the bottom of the screen.

For example you are on the navigational radar and you use the closest target button. after a while it seems to cancel it and vice versa.

you might try having the miscalaneous one activated (press v).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have also noticed the problem.

Seems like to me, you have object in target, like a station, and then a NPC jumps in to the system,or otherwise shows up on radar, you loose the target track.

Not a real big deal, just an annoyance.

• 4 weeks later...

Happens to me also. Seems to happen when jump points or wormholes are targets. Doesn't matter during jump whether on AP or manual as the ship will make a straight uninterrupted line to the original target.

I can turn my ship manually in hyperspace and fly backwards and still arrive at the destination.

It can be annoying but no biggie.

USB Keyboard/USB Mouse, no JS attached.

quote:

Originally posted by jblades:

Doesn't matter during jump whether on AP or manual as the ship will make a straight uninterrupted line to the original target.

Not if you have your priorities set properly.

If your navigation computer (NID) is the active computer, navigation points will have priority. Yeah, you can target a hostile using a quick key but, eventually, the NID will drop the tactical target and revert to Nav mode.

If your tactical computer (TRS) is the active computer, ships (friendly or otherwise) will have priority.

If you want to maintain lock on a bandit, activate the TRS ("T" key). If you want to maintain lock on a navigation point, activate the NID ("N" key) ... and clear all other navigation points from computer memory. Otherwise, expect your computer array to eventually switch targets on you.

Oh I wasn't complaining about hyperdrive going straight to my intended destination. I put that in there as I thought one of the original replies said he was in manual mode while in hyperspace and went off target for destination. No worries on my end.