Voice recognition in UC (Shoot)

BoPRoX

Hi there, this is my first post on this forum, but I've bought the game some months ago. All I did on this forum was reading .

But I thought I should post this, because it adds something to the game. It's called voice recognition, making it possible to say commands instead of using keys.

The program called Shoot is free and downloadable at this site.

For UC I've already made a profile (some months ago ) which can be downloaded here (use 'save link as...')

This profile is quite personal and I haven't modified it to make it more professional. But you can change it to your liking or improve it, as it is not complete.

You will need a microphone or a headset (the latter is recommended) in case you haven't figured that out .

NOTE: It's recommended to use this program while gaming on your own or it could seriously damage your social life

I managed to figure out the XMLs in about two minutes, and added my own inclusions to it. It's actually QUITE a good voice system.

I added 'FIRE'. To launch a missile with spacebar.

I also added 'manual' as a command that does the ALT key for jumping to mouse control and back again in a hurry. Cockpit was changed to 'bridge' for faster saying. Hyperdrive, changed to hyperjump. I've also added FULL STOP command, which is the same as hitting the Zero key. I modified raise shields to 'shields up' and 'shields down' Those commands are just more natural to bark.

I even added RANDOM JUMP, which cycles through the target list fifteen times, then does shift 9 command. I think I'm going to add the Clear Target right after the end of that command so enemies can't figure out WHERE you're going, and make a jump TO that location. (Even if they CAN intercept.)

This is fantastic. If you wanted, you could link a myriad of key commands to one word.

Hey BopRox... the simplest commands are the best. If you manage to catch me on AIM, I can send my version of the XML for you. (AIM: Atigerclaw03 )

Or you can email me.

But MAN, I feel like a commander now. I gave it a test run, and I ZORTCHED my enemies with three times the speed. I even went head to head, and weaved around the enemy fire, snapping the decoupled weapons back and forth like a helldemon. Now all I need are verbal commands for ship commands in the command menu.

I can see it now...

*Jumps into a flashback, only its not the past.*

"Command, Fighters, All, launch, intercept."

Or

"Command, Fighters, All, command, return to base"

*Jumps back to the present.*

*Droolz with extra Z added!*

quote:

Originally posted by BoPRoX:

"...For UC I've already made a profile (some months ago ) which can be downloaded
"

Im not sure what to do, but I get an error when trying to load the document in Shoot (error in line whatever, position whatever). I downloaded all of the requirements for the application and now im just stuck with a neat voice rec program, a really super neat game, but no way to cross breed the two. The million dollar question is...what do i do???

Try redownloading, and whats is the exact message? If that wont work, try this:

test.xml:

code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>

<!-- Template by HWDC VIPER -->

<shoot-config>

<command-list>

<command name="Test" phrase="test">

<key type="t" />

</command>

</command-list>

<push-to-talk mode="toggle" initial-state="off">

<key type="Capslock" />

</push-to-talk>

</shoot-config>

quote:

Originally posted by Rico:

quote:

Originally posted by BoPRoX:

"...For UC I've already made a profile (some months ago ) which can be downloaded
"

Im not sure what to do, but I get an error when trying to load the document in Shoot (error in line whatever, position whatever). I downloaded all of the requirements for the application and now im just stuck with a neat voice rec program, a really super neat game, but no way to cross breed the two. The million dollar question is...what do i do???

there seems to be errors in the following lines.

code:

<command name="MOVE - Move forward" phrase="forward">

<press type="W" />

</command>

<command name="MOVE - Stop moving forward" phrase="halt">

<release type="W" />

</command>

until someone gets around to fixing them you can comment them out like as follows

code:

<!--command name="MOVE - Move forward" phrase="forward"-->

<!--press type="W" /-->

<!--/command-->

<!--command name="MOVE - Stop moving forward" phrase="halt"-->

<!--release type="W" /-->

<!--/command-->

Ok, now that thats set and done, how would I go about making my own commands using the Shoot program? Do I need an XML editing program or can I use HTML in a basic word/notepad program?

just notepad.

Commands are between the

code:

<command-list>

and

code:

</command-list>

tags and look like this:

code:

<command name="Test" phrase="test">

<key type="t" />

</command>

Where:

code:

<command name="Test"

is the name of the command (just an identifier really)

code:

phrase="test">

is the command itself (ie. what you need to say to activate the command)

code:

<key type="t" />

the key or key combination that is pressed

code:

</command>

is the end of the command.

More info can be found at:

http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/documentation.php

Oh, and Rico, please read this:

http://www.3000ad.com/ubbcgi/welcome.html

first....

OK, I've changed my version of UC.xml, just by deleting that section that was so troubling for the program. It should work fine now for everyone .

I'm not very active on this forum, so apologies for the late reply.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys are excited (even a sticky, wow ).

On the main site of Shoot, there's a help file for editing an XML (using notepad or any other text editing program you like). Also, there's a profile library for profiles for other games. And if you have trouble running the program, there's a troubleshooting section and a forum.

One problem I encountered when running shoot, was that it didn't work after a few minutes within a game. If you also have this problem, you can try setting the priority of the process in the task manager to real time (in Win2k and WinXP with Ctrl+Alt+Del, task manager, tab 'processes').

And thanks for the replies .

quote:

Originally posted by Mordax Blyrr:

Anyone experienced the same problem BoPRoX had with Shoot not working anymore while a few mins in-game?

Yes, for me it happens after I turn the voice recognition on and off a few times. Setting the thread priority to real-time seems to alleviate the problem, at least so far. Otherwise, it seems to be working fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by A. Tigerclaw:

I even added RANDOM JUMP, which cycles through the target list fifteen times, then does shift 9 command.

I like this one, Tigerclaw. After a while a thought hit me:

"Wouldn't, using a prime number (13, 17 or 19 for example), work even better?"

• 7 months later...

Missed this thread somehow but anyway would like to point out to this software again. It's great!

I ran into it since i was playing Dangerous Waters where the voice recognition works perfectly. Then through subsim.com where i found that people used it for SH-3.

For those who are not familiar with it you can download it from http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/

Install the Speech Recognition engine first an make you you train it well then all should work without too many problems. Initially in Dangerous Waters it didn't work that well but it works like a charm now.

I was suprised that shoot worked that good .It is particularly useful with key sequences.

Like so,

code:

<command name="Orders Menu Defend Me" phrase="orders defend me">

<key type="ESC" />

<key type="F1" />

</command>

<command name="Orders Menu Defend Target " phrase="orders defend target">

<key type="ESC" />

<key type="F2" />

</command>

<command name="Orders Menu Engage target" phrase="orders engage target">

<key type="ESC" />

<key type="F3" />

</command>

<command name="Orders Menu SAD" phrase="orders search target">

<key type="ESC" />

<key type="F4" />

</command>

It really gives a new dimension to UC. The profile below basicly the same as the other profiles above but i like the logical structure they use in DW. Example

target next

target previous

target priority

pta on

pta off

etc. Have (another) look at it, it's a lot of fun.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mfxsfa/UC.xml

quote:

I ran into it since i was playing Dangerous Waters where the voice recognition works perfectly. Then through subsim.com where i found that people used it for SH-3.

Ah...another Dangerous Waters and SH3 player!

Anyways, Mano, I will have to take a look at Shoot for UC. Thanks for the tip!

To who it my concern, regarding the speech program shoot, I would be extremly greatful if anyone out there who actually got this program working with UC could give me step by step directions on how they did it. I talking, what files did you rename and where did you place them and all that good stuff, please explain it as if you were explaining it to your grandmother, the simplier the better, thanks alot!

If you will (actually, you HAVE to in this forum)...put your info in on your system...it can be found HERE (just click on this link in yellow)

I would like to be nice and point you the way, BUT...getting your systems information availiable is the way SC (Mr. Smart) WANTS it to be (it IS his, so do it basically), and has REQUIRED it to be so.

(penalty of removal of posts and possibly all that follows as well through the thread if HE wishes ...as well as forum Moderators too "I won't forget you guys/gals?" ).....so follow through the instructions, and hope to see you soon!

I'm fairly new myself too, but I feel if I can do it, then so can you!

No not really but you can me a mail if you like. Ik can check if i can help you.

The only problem that i encountered was that over a longer period of time [ 1- 2 hours ] when i get lazy and start to mumble and you don't articulate well the speech engine/shoot is lost. You have to restart it. It's starts lowering the shields when you don't wont to.