What a Way to get Owned

avaktar

I started playing the Campaign tonight, but I'm still understanding tactics and controls, and just taking it slow. It's about having a good time while learning. Well some lessons are more to the point than others.

I kicked some butt to start with, which built up my confidence. I'm managing power like a pro- keeping the solar panels tuned, turning off what I don't need -- I even got boarded and locked the invaders down in the shuttle bay and then watched my marines take care of business.

Anyway, I'm hanging out in a dangerous sector, not wanted, and watch casually as my turrets take out 4 interceptors and some noob SC pilot who thought he'd tow his buddy. Disabled ships make great bait.

All of a sudden a station starts firing and I'm taking damage to all decks! I set my engineers to work, but it's no use. So I'm like, this is awesome. I've got nothing left -- might as well set the FATAL for the space station and warp over there for glory or martyrdom! I don't quite reach it, but there's a neutral ship in the area.

More missiles.

"Ion disruptor, offline."

"hull integrity failing."

"navigational computer destroyed."

"Crew quarters damaged."

"Captains bathroom toilet, destroyed."

[and on and on.]

The Hard Lesson

---------------

So I start thinking maybe sending out an S.O.S. beacon would be good. Hrm... Alt-S... no that's not it. How about Control-S...

"Shields Powering Up!" (/stares blankly at the little energy bar...)

quote:

Originally posted by avaktar:

All of a sudden a station starts firing and I'm taking damage to all decks! I set my engineers to work, but it's no use. So I'm like, this is awesome. I've got nothing left -- might as well set the FATAL for the space station and warp over there for glory or martyrdom! I don't quite reach it, but there's a neutral ship in the area.

More missiles.

"Ion disruptor, offline."

"hull integrity failing."

"navigational computer destroyed."

"Crew quarters damaged."

"Captains bathroom toilet, destroyed."

[and on and on.]

The Hard Lesson

---------------

So I start thinking maybe sending out an S.O.S. beacon would be good. Hrm... Alt-S... no that's not it. How about Control-S...

"Shields Powering Up!" (/stares blankly at the little energy bar...)

you got attacked by a station altough there is a warp distance(at least 1000) between you and that station?? I guess the incident shocked you a bit

It was probably a cloaked ship,-if it was a station there is no way you could have survived- though it's still a good "way to get owned"

Cloaked ship?! But... but, I never saw it coming!

Okay, that explains a few things. I couldn't figure out where all those white dots were coming from, and figured it must be some crazy long-range station ability, but a cloaked ship makes a lot more sense. I'm eager to get home tonight and have another go at it

So I'm doing ops all day in my Firestorm, and nearly got completely owned at Venus. Right now, as I type this, my shuttle is towing me back to Earth for repairs. Perscan computer shows that things are pretty bad, but I don't have access to any other information. It was lucky I had a shuttle deployed, and a wing of fighters. Thankfully, I picked up all four mining drones (100% full) from Pluto earlier, and should have money to get at least some things back online.

This will be painful, but the experience is still awesome. I'm just really worried that my crew will think sending the fighter squad to help that MIL/POL was stupid

Edit/Update

Well, it appears my ship is basically toast. I think all that was left was the bulkhead, a six pack of beer and some toilet paper, and not enough money to even fix Deck 1 let alone anything else That was totally fun hehe

I smell lots of time in drydock coming at you.

I ripped a stormcarrier, two Aestroms, and a Warmonger to SHREDS yesterday. And then, of all things, I hyperjump clear of a battle zone, and just as I accellerate away, a Mk1 Decloaks on my rear launching fighters and missiles... But I was already gone. He payed for trying to ambush me, my fighters pounded on him before he had sense enough to cloak again. Now he's lurking around somewhere in the system cloaked. I know he's coming for me... it's just a matter of time before I locate and slag his @SS.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!! I toasted his candy arse! BOTH of them! One was a cloaked megaron that had been following me around... the other was a Mk II... I lured them in, and they both ate the death... Now there's a Garid on and intercept course as I type... He's gonna come out of jump into a firestorm....AND I toast him before he even finishes coming... And I'm on the acquired again... I wonder if there's another cloaked in the system.... *Flcker...* YEP. Another fool... I'll just wait. Lure him in, THEN POW!

.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Frig slabbit! Crash to Desktop. And I had him in the Main guns too. Oh well... I didn't lose more than just ten minutes of combat.

[ 12-03-2004, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Remo Williams ]

The repairs ARE free at a friendly?! I was observing today that my cash wasn't going down as the station's engineers worked on my carrier. I've spent at least 2 million on repairs myself! I guess my own engineers are better off for that anyway.

I took out ships and collected a ton of cargo pods at one point today, and then my finger slipped on the Windows key. After putting up with that windows key for 6 years, I finally took a paperclip, popped it off and put tape over the grommet so dirt wouldn't fall in.

My point is, even in outter space, Bill Gates can get me.

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

can i say read the manual please?

No. SC does just fine with his own forum posts.

For those of us that do read everything, that gets really old. I use my laptop with the Appendix in one browser tab and these forums in another to search. Everyone should be allowed to express happiness at (re)discovering free stuff! But unless you're Rain Man, it's near impossible to have everything memorized in the first week of playing UC, and if I had everything memorized and understood it all, I most definitely wouldn't play it. It's about discovery, man!

YAY! Free repairs at friendly space stations! It is most definitely documented somewhere -- but isn't that wonderful anyway?

Thank you

Latest damage report?

COMMANDER'S MAIN CHAIR CUPHOLDER... IS DAMAGED.

SURROUND SOUND ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM... IS DAMAGED.

PRIMARY COFFEE MAKER... IS DAMAGED

REMOTE CONTROL FOR MAIN FOOTBALL WATCHING

TELEVISION.... HAS BEEN DESTROYED.

"EEEEEEERRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"

• 1 month later...

quote:

I took out ships and collected a ton of cargo pods at one point today, and then my finger slipped on the Windows key. After putting up with that windows key for 6 years, I finally took a paperclip, popped it off and put tape over the grommet so dirt wouldn't fall in.

Ummm, there are better ways to disable the windows keys.

The world's greatest tool

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I've gotten UC back up and running...something I've been meaning to ask...

Is one allowed to name or register the name of his/her Asset/Command Craft?

And is there a specific procedure for this

(I've tried searching for threads on this but nothing has turned up)

quote:

...and then my finger slipped on the Windows key. After putting up with that windows key for 6 years, I finally took a paperclip, popped it off and put tape over the grommet so dirt wouldn't fall in.

LOLOLOL!!! That happened a few times to me too. Did the same thing except without the tape.

quote:

Originally posted by Admiral Tigerclaw:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Frig slabbit! Crash to Desktop. And I had him in the Main guns too. Oh well... I didn't lose more than just ten minutes of combat.

Dead serious, I had the same problem too. But, I renstalled today and was playing for 4 hours straight right before I got here!!! It used to crash every half hour to hour!!!!! Just renstall and repatch and it will proboably be fine.

[ 12-03-2004, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Remo Williams ]

• 2 months later...

This is the closest topic I could find to post my question in. I am just getting familiar with UC, (I am playing in MP mode until I get the issue with launching UC sp resolved.) My question: I have towed my disabled CC to a starstation, hoping to get it fixed. BUT, How do I fix my ship? I can space walk to it but everything is down so I can't load anything from my shuttle to the ship. Is my only option to call for an SOS tow?

When I attempt to dock with ALT+D while still towing the CC, I don't get a question about delivering the towed object. I can go into TRADCOM to buy stuff, but will have to go mining (ALOT) to get enough money to buy all new computers, reactors, shields, curtains, deck chairs, etc.

I got into this mess since I was fooling around in a Garid learning various commands and familiarizing myself with procedures. Predictably hostiles showed up while I was busy with other things and started whomping on my ship. So I hit the Shift+9 key to Hyperjump to get away... In the end I was at a relatively safe distance. Luckily I had launched a shuttle to pick up a container. I recalled it to my CC. Just for fun, space walked over to it and entered it. And towed my CC to through a jump point to another system, since some more annoying hostiles had started closing in and doing bad things. In the next system there is a space station! Yay, salvation! I tow my CC over to it. In my target display, my CC is listed as NONE. It is disabled with 8% integrity, no computers (or hardly anthing else) are working except PERSCAN. 6 prisoners have escaped are running amok. Almost everyone is in MEDIBAY. Except me, I'm in my shuttle with a couple of marines

Dude, I think you want to be on your command craft when you dock to repair it. Looks like it's time for another spacewalk, back to your CC. From there you can order your shuttle to Tow you, then Deliver you to the station.

I just towed my own butt home tonight. I was out tooling around in a Zenstar, and let the CC run out of gas.

Yea... i've had to do that on several occasions. Command->Shuttles->*select shuttle*->Deliver To->*starstation* and engage the autopilot. Your shuttle will also dock with you so its not floating in space while u repair. Have fun. I spend about 5 hours today at a station repairing myself. Decided to go to home depot while i waited.