Back into the breach...

richterm

I've upgraded my home system using various and sundry parts I've been able to acquire. And two days ago, my new video card arrived. I downloaded the UC Demo at work and burned it to CD. Brought it home last night and it ran pretty darn well.

So I swung by Best Buy at lunch today and now own the full version.

I've owned a flavor of BC3000 since the original. I was making some strides in BCM but got distracted by some real life issues and the knowledge that UC was out and I couldn't run it properly on my rig.

Tonight, the Sun Dancer shall launch again from Earth! All enemies, foreign and domestic, will quake before me! Well...maybe not.

But I'm sure looking forward to the latest ride.

And the big shocker is...I installed and patched the game on my laptop and it wasn't horrible even with the sub-par video controller that Compaq shoved into the Evo N610.

So the home rig should be very happy indeed...

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by richterm:

So the home rig should be very happy indeed...

whoa!! look who the cat dragged in!!

Heh.

4 kids wear ya out...the gaming time is starting to open up again.

I've had a chance to do 2 instant action scenarios already, just to see what things look like. Even with a "cost effective" video card, it's hawt...you may very well have outdone yourself with this one.

I will commision the Star Dancer once Lt. Joshua (the soon to be 2 year old) is in bed.

Once I'm somewhat more comfortable with the new stuff, I'll see what all the fuss about multiplayer is about....

Ok, I'm happy.

Star Dancer is hovering over a city on Earth, waiting for the shuttles to return from dropping the mining drones.

I'm blown away by the new graphics and how WELL the planetside stuff works now. Methinks I'll be spending some time looking for a naval fleet to visit while I'm on world.

I just need to get past the first radine shortage and life will be good...plus upgrade my reactor to something a little less like a 1970's gas guzzler.

Star Dancer got turned into a bright ball of plasma and glowing metal bits after being smacked around at the jump in gate at Mars.

Take home lessons:

1. Upgrade more stuff before leaving Earth.

2. I have a cloaking device. Remember to use it.

3. Always be ready to do an emergency hyperjump.

A few instant actions scenarios later to cool down and the Star Fury (a Megaron) was commisioned. She is now at the Moon, buying up Radine since GalComm was fresh out. (doh!) FC3 is beat up and the 2 crew have already been cloned, but several Insurgent vessels will no longer be bothering the true citizens of Earth. Soon, the mining drones will be full and I can do Round 1 of upgrades in earnest.

No crashes AT ALL on the desktop machine. Performance is fantastic.

Ack. Crash To Desktop .

Landed shuttle 1 on an aircraft carrier. Got out, walked towards carrier bridge and gave the "/" command to enter.

BANG

Ack!

I should be more liberal with my saves, but I was having way too much fun...

Reloaded game from an earlier save after my CTD.

Don't try to land on Pluto. Even if your adorable 5 year old daughter is begging you. I don't have any idea how long it's going to take me to repair all the damage (it didn't help that I was attacked while trying to get to the jumpgate to return to Earth)

Shield and engine upgrades are almost done.

Lost shuttle 3 to intruders when I had to activate launch control for a few seconds to recover a fighter. Grrrrr. Guess I'll have to shuffle around with the mining drones, as all 4 were redeployed. And in that same scuffle in the area of the moon, somehow 3 of my fighter crews were all killed in action, so I had to tractor in the 3 craft. More stuff to repair. Wonderful.

So at some point, buy a replacement shuttle.

I've been docking at stations to begin repairs and then leaving. It allows me to not need to buy the parts but then for my crew to get the experience from fixing the systems. Sounds good to me.

I've been tempted a few times to scuttle this career and start over, but having the "walking wounded" Megaron has been fun so far. Eventually, all systems will be upgraded and back to 100% and I might think of TRYING to leave the Sol system...

My Star Wars Galaxies buds are probably wondering where the hell I've been...

Well, the Star Fury is fully repaired and my boys are finishing up the reactor upgrade. (picked up the Eyestar last night)

Sadly, one of my marines corkscrewed Shuttle 4 into the Alaskan tundra last night while on approach to pick up a mining drone. Grrrrr! I did a little dance with 4 drones and two shuttlecraft and was able to get the precious cargo on board and get the drones back to work with minimal headache. Still, that's about 1.7 million or so that I'm NOT going to be able to use on anything else except buying new shuttlecraft. (let's not mention the OC lost as well, ok?)

I feel like I'm trying to dig a deep hole in the sand right at the water's edge and the ocean keeps filling the hole back up on me. My grand schemes of a long patrol into sectors I've never seen just looks like it's very very far away...which makes me realize that I've never strayed much more than a single jump or two beyond our solar system in any of the BC games I've played. That's kinda sad. (although, to be fair, this is the first time I've had decent hardware and the time to put into actually playing)

Star Wars...aye, I've played that since launch last year. Things are kind of on hold, I'm waiting for the space expansion (due at end of October) while dinkering around with some buddies of mine. My wookiee is currently working on Creature Handler and Bioengineer along with Brawler, so he's fun to play. (at one point, he was a Master Politician and the founding mayor of a metropolis)

UC plus Tivo is a good combo for me right now...I can pause what I'm watching to deal with in game stuff and then go back to it when I'm either in dry dock or waiting for things to happen.

Safety tip: After you capture a ship and tow it back to base, DO NOT release the tractor beam manually.

After repairing Star Fury and replacing one of her shuttlecraft, several hostiles jumped in. I scrambled fighters 1 & 2 to take them out and the Gammulan fighter managed to cripple both of them and kill the pilots.

I jumped in and started pounding on a Sentry...I think it was a Valkrie. (the Gam had jumped out)A flurry of missles and my PTAs crippled the bugger and I tractored the prize. I jumped back to Galcomm and ordered my shuttles to tow the fighter-shaped wrecks back to me. I figured I would bring the fighters on board, retractor the Sentry and then deliver it. Well, no sooner do I drop the tractor than the alert klaxon goes off, the Valk blasts me a little and scratches my paint and then goes hyper. We chase him to the Pluto jump gate and then let him go (as I've got assets floating into space)

So....next time, I'll be sure to deliver the captured ship first.

Ack...it seems that my saved game is borked somehow. It locks hard regardless of what I'm doing after a certain amount of time reloading. (sigh) So it looks like this instance of the Star Fury will be retired and I'll be starting over.

Probably just as well, as I should have been killed a few times already...

Sure thing Derek. I've read about Quicksaves being an issue, but you were also going to take them out...I've never run this career at anything other than the .13 patch. Also, I've saved either through the "Quit and Save" menu option or CTRL-ALT-G (which brings up the Save screen)

I haven't tried running in a window...certainly worth a shot.

We've got back to school night for my oldest tonight, but I should be able to zip it up and get it to you by tommorow night at the latest. Thanks for caring.

This is what I just sent to you via email, along with your saved game.

quote:

Hey Marc,

I was able to load and play your saved game just fine. In fact, I saved it

again after looking around for a few mins. Just extract the attached file

into your game folder and see if you can restore either mine or yours. You

can also try the resume. I saved to profile0. The saved game you sent was

saved to profile2

cheers

quote:

Originally posted by richterm:

Derek, check your email. The adventure continues.

Got your email. Please don't waste my time. I didn't sign up to tool around with stuff going on with your computer. You said you couldn't get a saved game to load. I found NO problems with it - and even saved and sent it back. Now you want me to go back in and fool around with your shuttles? Are you kidding me?

[ 09-24-2004, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Not trying to waste your time...truthfully, I was a little nervous pursuing this in the first place, as I understand that you're busy and don't like to chase down false leads. As I said in the email, I've narrowed the issue down to shuttle 4 attempting planetfall on Earth. (although it performed planetfall on the moon fine and all the other shuttles planetfall onto Earth without issues) I don't know if it's somehow related to the shuttle being a replacement asset or not. (with the mining drone from the original shuttle 4 still deployed on Earth...is there some sort of broken association?) I missed the correlation the first time and for that I feel silly. If it's an obscure bug, there's some data for you. If you think it's not worth pursuing further, I'm ok with that.

In any case, once I get all of the mining drones off of Earth, I'll see if shuttle 4 can successfully planetfall there at that point.

Thanks for your time.

uhm no, thats is NOT what you said and that is NOT why I pursued it. Here is what you said eight posts ago:

quote:

Ack...it seems that my saved game is borked somehow. It locks hard regardless of what I'm doing after a certain amount of time reloading.

And the ONLY reason I pursued it was to see WHY the saved game would not load as per your It locks hard regardless of what I'm doing after a certain amount of time reloading statement.

You said nothing about a shuttle until I got your follow-up email after I sent you back your working saved game and mine.

And yes, it was a false report that had nothing to do with the game per se.

You have a legacy GF3 (which barely meets the minimum video requirements for the game) and an on-board sound card for which the FAQ has a section about disabling certain sound processing in the event of problems with legacy cards. Any number of issues could be causing your problem and they are completely - as I have found - unrelated to the saved game as I was led to believe.

There is no correlation with a certain shuttle's ability to enter a planet. They're just numbers.

And no, I have no interest in pursuing your issues any further. Apart from that, this is not the tech support forum.