Size of ships

cyress8

Just jumping on the bandwagon here:

Isn't it refreshing to play a space game that isn't afraid of SCALE. I use my approach times when docking at a station to get external views. Some of my favorite shots in SciFi movies are approaches that give you a feeling of the sheer immensity of what you're seeing. Now, I play these scenes.

"Space is big. Really big."

-Douglas Adams

Abby (my five year old) pulled up a chair and was watching me play. I asked her if she wanted to see me go outside my ship and she did...so I popped out of the Star Fury (my Megaron) and floated around for her. She thought that was pretty neat. Since I was approaching Galcomm, I hopped back on board and then went EVA once in docking range. We both were mighty impressed with the size of the station versus the size of me. You know that "little hump" on the very top and centor of Galcomm HQ? Well, it ain't so little when you're walking around on it.

She then wanted me to point out Pluto...which I told her we couldn't see from where we were. Then silly Daddy decides to fly there for her. We were jumped by some baddies and I ran for the planet...bad bad move, which I didn't realize at first. We figured we'd land to look around and I suddenly find myself in an atmospheric storm from hell, with my shields LOWERED. (see my "Back into the breach..." thread for the aftermath) Anyway, I somehow survived and she wandered off to have a snack and leave Dad to the mercies (or not) of the galaxy.

Yeah, the scale of things is really cool.

Think I'll land on Earth tonight and show her some animals running around and maybe take a swim to check out the fish with her. (That's right, it's for the benefit of the kids only, not me. Heh...)

• 1 month later...