OTS problem?

Xanthus

I picked up a pile of OTS-Tanix's to wipe the Insurgents off of the Earth. I then launched one at a base, and it too out half of it. Unfortunately, when I tried again it goes into spectator view looking at the sky and stays there. Missile never hits. Time still going in game and not slow-down issue. Even got fireworks one time where a transpost got it hardoff in space. Have save game and all info if someone wants to take a look.

[ 09-13-2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Sounds like the 'remember' effect I've seen...

Whenever I go to a planet... Any major base or city I've been to seems to get 'remembered' and it loads up fully every time I enter the planet, reguardless of WHERE on the planet. When I pan my camera view past those points, I get a brief lag for it to load those FAR away buildings.

It's easiest to spot when I run TACOPS in planet observation mode.

It hasn't been a major problem for me, as I haven't been to more than two bases on a planet in any given game I've played... But I can see why your FPS might go right down the tube.

However I did note it seemed to 'remember' the bases even for the one time I OTSed a base.

For someone who OTSed an entire planet's worth of bases... the number of objects remembered must be a nightmare.

Wow,

After around 3 hours of nuking earth from space the game started to slow down horribly. Yes, in space. Does the game launch a ship at you if you nuke something in retaliation? If it does it explains it. I totalled most of the Ter/INS bases, and when I saved the save was corrupt. I think SC fixed a few of the slowdown problems for nukes, where the objects fall into the terrain. Would be useful, as I nuked the Starbase into the ocean

Hope those insurgents drown

quote:

Originally posted by Admiral Tigerclaw:

Whenever I go to a planet... Any major base or city I've been to seems to get 'remembered' and it loads up fully every time I enter the planet, reguardless of WHERE on the planet. When I pan my camera view past those points, I get a brief lag for it to load those FAR away buildings.

Thats got nothing to do with anything. In fact, destroyed buildings are easier to handle than regular ones.

The effect of chugging is due to a shitty graphics card, low memory and badly fragmented HDD. It is especially a problem because the texture garbage collection (which frees up the card's texture memory in order to make room for new textures) will consistently try to flush memory. So, before you go blowing up entire planets while running the game on a GameBoy, think twice about it.

If someone has a system that meets with the game's recommended requirements, the planetary pausing would be minimal. In fact, in 2.00.14 (see the recent VCF entries) this is virtually eliminated on systems with at least 500MB of memory and a 256MB memory video card.

When used in conjunction with the model preloading, the planetary scenes can sustain at least 30 fps (which is perfectly normal) with the initial hiccup occuring only when the scenes first get loaded and the 3D models loaded and rendered.