Some Questions regarding Roam mode

paradiddle

Hello everybody. I'm quite new to UC and been enjoying it quite a bit.

I have some questions regarding the Roam mode. If let's say I play a marine stationed on a planet, does the base where you are stationned eventually gets attacked? or must I have to go through a DJP to an enemy base to fight? Do other bases on the planet get attacked where you would have to go out and help the other bases.

Is it the same for the rest of the UC universe? In short, do random things happen to put you in a situation or do you have to provoke them?

Sorry for the lot of questions but I'm curious how this dynamic universe works.

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by paradiddle:

If let's say I play a marine stationed on a planet, does the base where you are stationned eventually gets attacked? or must I have to go through a DJP to an enemy base to fight?

This was disabled a while back because it would require tremendous processing power to handle. In space, this happens simply because the space engine requires far less processing than the planetary engine.

So, in order to engage the enemy as a marine in ROAM mode, you have to DJP to a hostile base. You might want to first use Tacops to locate the base, make a note of where it is - then activate the DJP and select it from the menu.

btw, in the upcoming ucAWA, that DJP menu is quite different and makes base selection a lot easier than in UC.

quote:

Do other bases on the planet get attacked where you would have to go out and help the other bases.

No; only if scripted as such in the IA scenarios.

Thanks for the reply to both.

"This was disabled a while back because it would require tremendous processing power to handle. In space, this happens simply because the space engine requires far less processing than the planetary engine.

"

Mmm too bad, I sure hope one day PCs will have enough CPU power to bring back this kind of play in UC. Just having theses gunships and tanks at your disposal could really make some nasty epic battles.

I went through a DJP has a mobile infantry and managed to clear a whole base. With the jetpack, I just go on top of a building where they can't get to me and plan the attack.

Thoses little tanks sure pack some good firepower.

quote:

Originally posted by paradiddle:

... Just having theses gunships and tanks at your disposal could really make some nasty epic battles.

'Though AI/single-player planetside operations have limited scope, the multiplayer arena allows participants to use many of these "really nasty" assets. Unfortunately, most MP people are primarily space-oriented ... consequently, battles involving gunships and tanks are still pretty much an untapped resource.

Many of the fleets have unfilled positions ... available to anyone with the initiative to build an on-line planetside marine force.