Mining on Midae

jah

Hi,

I tried a few times to drop my Mining Drones on Midae to get those minerals quickly (the appendix says, the planet's minerals are at 35 percent) Well, there's one problem. When the four shuttles try to land most of them are flying under the surface and begin to change their altitude from 0 to -1 regulary. I tried to tractor them out by flying one of my shuttles on my own, it worked, but at the same time I leave my carrier (I landed it on Midae) the carrier is pulled under the surface. When I turn back, TAC shows, that it must be directly in front of me, but it isn't. Also flying the shuttle is not easy, sometimes it loses speed and falls down to earth.

Now my question: is that a consequence of the planet's gravity (it should be the same like on Earth, when it's true what the appendix says), which is a little bit too high or is it a real bug? And, naturally, what can I do to solve this problem?

I would be thankful for answers

jah

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Then don't mine on Midae. What do you want me to do? Conduct a geological survey of the planet for you and post "Don't frigging mine here!!" billboards?

LMAO! I'm sorry I shouldn't be posting, but you caught me off guard with a mouth full of coffee yet again. Now I have to clean up my monitor and keyboard. After four times you'd think I would have learned not to drink and read your posts at the same time.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Then don't mine on Midae. What do you want me to do? Conduct a geological survey of the planet for you and post "Don't frigging mine here!!" billboards?

lol, that's why I love it here.

Yes?! Do you? Well, i don't. I'm asking for an professional answer on a legitimate question and all i get are some unmotivated sentences which don't solve my problem, they only circumvent it. All i want is a highly potential game that works as fine as possible.

@Supreme Cmdr: I don't want you to "Conduct a geological survey of the planet". I want a solution, that's all. I'm asking you and everybody who knows the game, its good sides and its bad, because you are the developers. And what I'm expecting from developers is objective support. Who else can I ask? Do you know somebody? I don't!

[ 01-06-2005, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: jah ]

But jah. The answer REALLY is to not mine on Midae. Perhaps its just not conducive to mining. What do you expect, all planets to equally easy to mine?

Don't take it personally, just move on. If you can't take a little brow beating from the SC, you won't last here. We all have felt his wrath, even guys that have been here for years.

I can tell you, that I really don't take it personally. I'm expecting, as I said before, professional support. I do not defend myself, I am criticising the way, the community is supported here. I have never seen these circumstances, which obtain here, in other forums.

Well, I don't want to appear as some kind of a softy here, but I also don't think, that a Carrier that is pulled by thousands feet under the surface is the consequence of a planet which can't be mined. It's a bug, and all I wanted, was some kind of support, even the answer: "I don't know what happened there, but I will check it!" would be enough. But instead of that, I'm told, that I shouldn't mine on Midae. I think it's not the funktion of a developer to settle back and see what happens, when the gamer doesn't know what to do.

[ 01-07-2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: jah ]

quote:

Originally posted by jah:

Well, I don't want to appear as some kind of a softy here, but I also don't think, that a Carrier that is pulled by thousands feet under the surface is the consequence of a planet which can't be mined. It's a bug, and all I wanted, was some kind of support

First; thats rubbish.

Second, if you stopped to think what happens when an object moving at high velocity impacts another [non-moving] object, you will know (a) why you will end up under the terrain (B) why I implemented CALS.

Third, if you actually READ the appendix data for the planet stats, you SHOULD know about the planet's attributes.

Giving [tech] support is one thing. Babysitting someone who hasn't bothered to use common sense, read the manual, the appendix data etc, is CLEARLY another matter. For the price you paid for the game, did it come with a pacifier and a lullaby CD-ROM?

quote:

Originally posted by jah:

I can tell you, that I really don't take it personally. I'm expecting, as I said before, professional support. I do not defend myself I am crticising the way, the community is supported here. I have never seen these circumstances, which obtains here, in other forums

If you feel that way, well, why don't you just leave?

And I know what happens when an object impacts into another. But if you have read my first post, you would know that I LANDED it on the surface. Your third point is also "rubbish", if you would allow this comment. It seems as if this would be your standart answer. I have read many posts in here and I know that you often use these sentences. To make one thing clear: I have read the manual and the appendix dozens time and there's no answer on my problem. Damn, that's why I'm asking you.

heh, first of all jah calm down. they are just words. it's not like he's kicking the crap out of you or something.

second have you watched with an external camera at what happens when you deploy a drone?

they just appear a short distance behind you, and then fall (ok, "snap" )to the surface. so if you did this while the back of your shuttle was right on or past the "crease" of where a hill begins/ends then the drone appears a small distance behind the shuttle as normal. except that it appears under the terrain because that is where the back of the shuttle is.

long story short... don't deploy any ground vehicles or drones where they will appear inside of another object. go ahead and take a look with an external view before you deploy.

of coarse the AI does not do this so it is best to deploy drones yourself when dealing with hilly terain. the safest place to deploy is in a city because they useually have perfectly flat ground. the AI will love you for it...

ok, I should calm down. It's just making me angry, when I see such a behaviour. To come back to my problem: I remember, when the shuttles go under the surface, I mean 0 to -1, then the message appears, that shuttles cannot deploy drones on water. This means, they don't even deploy them and hang arround, unable to take off. But that's not the main problem. As I said, I tried to tractor them out. Well, this worked fine, but as I tried to fly back to my carrier, which I've landed on the surface, it seems, as if it was pulled by thousands of meters to the direction of the planet's core. I wasn't able to dock with it, although my carrier was displayed directly in front of me in the TAC. However, I have reinstalled the game, but I couldn't reproduce this. It seems, as if the problem has solved itself. Anyway, thanks for your help, ouch!

quote:

Originally posted by ouch:

they just appear a short distance behind you, and then fall (ok, "snap" )to the surface.

No, in UC they don't "snap" out and drop to the ground (like in previous BC games). They drive out of the shuttle, once it has actually landed.