Ship speeds

binaryblade

I love the game but I really think that the ship speeds need to be upgraded that is unless there will be a serious detriment to performance the Hyperspace speed is fine but I think the largers ships should be traveling at the speed of the shuttle and the shuttle(fighters, etc.) speed increased proportionally.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you even bothered to read the manual, or check the appendix?

A shuttle is much smaller than a carreir or cruiser, thus it is able to traverse space faster

I know there are other factors, but I won't pretend to understand them, but I do know this

The smaller a ship is, the faster it can go, the slicker and sharper it is, the better it is at piercing the barrier between normal space and hyper space

It's just a like a car or bike

A bike (motor bike) is capible of reaching speeds that a reguler could only DREAM

A sports car, for example, is fast.. but it take's awhile to reach it's top speed

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Have you even bothered to read the manual, or check the appendix?

A shuttle is much smaller than a carreir or cruiser, thus it is able to traverse space faster

I know there are other factors, but I won't pretend to understand them, but I do know this

The smaller a ship is, the faster it can go, the slicker and sharper it is, the better it is at piercing the barrier between normal space and hyper space

It's just a like a car or bike

A bike (motor bike) is capible of reaching speeds that a reguler could only DREAM

A sports car, for example, is fast.. but it take's awhile to reach it's top speed

Amigo...I don't know how SC implemented real physics into the game, but your logic seems way off as far as space physics is concerned...

I'm not a rocket scientist or a physicist, but what I do know is that space is a vacuum...there is no drag created on objects moving through space...accordingly, the more thrust an object has, the faster it will go...similarly, and hypothetically speaking, the larger the engine, or drive, the more thrust will be created...thus, larger spacecraft can obviously mount larger drives creating more thrust and therefore more speed...the way I understand it, aerodynamics means nothing in a space vacuum...

Jarhead0331, please add your profile registration linkto your sig.

As for the above, in these games real physic is not implemented.

quote:

aerodynamics means nothing in a space vacuum

True, but MASS is still very important.

Bigger drives are needed by bigger ships as they have that much more mass to start moving through space.

Whilst real physics is not in the game it makes sense that the bigger ships are slower than a shuttle.

Think of the main ship as a Frigate or Aircraft carrier, Not the fastest thing around but it serves as home base for the main fighting force.

quote:

Originally posted by Kazinar:

Whilst real physics is not in the game ....

Not entirely true. What you said about "mass" applies in the game. To test it, just lock on to a large craft with your tractor beam and start towing it ... then check the change in your max speed.

Guest Arthur_Dent1976

Marvin's observation is correct: Mass does play a role in UC. (Or so it seems to me). However, Jarhead's comment is correct as well, as far as real physics are concerned. There is no drag in space. Any object, no matter how heavy, will move with the same speed and the same acceleration if the same engine is used. Imagine (for instance) the space shuttle's main booster rocket. You know, that large orange hulking thing. Imagine it pushing a small capsule through space (or a carton of milk, or a cat.. whatever, just something small). Now imagine the same booster rocket pushing the ISS. If it starts pushing while in space, the objects will accelerate and move at the same speed, regardless of their mass.

Towing something through space would be the same. A shuttle in UC should therefore accellerate just as fast with a Megaron carrier or a space marine behind it. Or towing nothing at all. In UC, this doesn't happen. I guess that's for gameplay reasons and, well, that's fine by me really, since it -is- a game I'm playing, no matter how advanced.

As for Binaryblade's remark about the ship speeds being to slow in normal flight-mode. Well, personally, I do find them to be a tad to slow as well. However... there's this huge manual I'm still trying to eat my way through. I find that up until now the time spent waiting can be put to quite some good use

(Btw. your ship moves faster with your engine's turned up to full power. That may help as well!)

quote:

Originally posted by Arthur_Dent:

Marvin's observation is correct: Mass does play a role in UC. (Or so it seems to me). However, Jarhead's comment is correct as well, as far as real physics are concerned. There is no drag in space. Any object, no matter how heavy, will move with the same speed and the same acceleration if the same engine is used. Imagine (for instance) the space shuttle's main booster rocket. You know, that large orange hulking thing. Imagine it pushing a small capsule through space (or a carton of milk, or a cat.. whatever, just something small). Now imagine the same booster rocket pushing the ISS. If it starts pushing while in space, the objects will accelerate and move at the same speed, regardless of their mass.

Towing something through space would be the same. A shuttle in UC should therefore accellerate just as fast with a Megaron carrier or a space marine behind it. Or towing nothing at all. In UC, this doesn't happen. I guess that's for gameplay reasons and, well, that's fine by me really, since it -is- a game I'm playing, no matter how advanced.

As for Binaryblade's remark about the ship speeds being to slow in normal flight-mode. Well, personally, I do find them to be a tad to slow as well. However... there's this huge manual I'm still trying to eat my way through. I find that up until now the time spent waiting can be put to quite some good use

(Btw. your ship moves faster with your engine's turned up to full power. That may help as well!)

First of all, the big orange thing is the fuel tank, not the main booster rocket. The two little white things on the sides of the fuel tank are the booster rockets.

Second, from reading your post, the way I understand it then is if we put the main booster rockets on the moon with their noses in the ground, then they could move the moon???

quote:

Second, from reading your post, the way I understand it then is if we put the main booster rockets on the moon with their noses in the ground, then they could move the moon???

Depends WHERE you put them

Any space probe that is visting other worlds in our solar system needs to build up speed, the easist way to do this is by orbiting the Earth in the same direction that it rotates, by doing this it gets a speed boost from the rotational speed of the Earth (there is probably some newtonian term for it but I can't recall my Physics that well).

By doing this speed boost process the space craft is now travelling faster.

As every action has an equal and opposite reaction so the Earth is, in turn, spinning ever so slightly slower and orbiting just that little bit further out from the sun than it was.

Going back to the moon, Those booster rockets WILL have an effect, no matter where they are, however that effect will be minute.

quote:

Originally posted by GaryW:

quote:

Depends WHERE you put them

Any space probe that is visting other worlds in our solar system needs to build up speed, the easist way to do this is by orbiting the Earth in the same direction that it rotates, by doing this it gets a speed boost from the rotational speed of the Earth (there is probably some newtonian term for it but I can't recall my Physics that well).

By doing this speed boost process the space craft is now travelling faster.

As every action has an equal and opposite reaction so the Earth is, in turn, spinning ever so slightly slower and orbiting just that little bit further out from the sun than it was.

Going back to the moon, Those booster rockets WILL have an effect, no matter where they are, however that effect will be minute.

You're right. What I meant is that they could move the moon at the same speed and acceleration as they would if they were pushing a milk carton or a cat.

Guest kenny87

Wouldn't an object with more mass accelerate slower than an object of low mass if the same engine was used, being that the power to mass ratio is different?

Guest DocHoliday

Hi all,

If I can add my 50 cents worth even though I'm not from the Physics department either, but I do hang around some forums where people are

The maximum acceleration of a CC-type craft of or a small fighter (in space) is defined the thrust/mass ratio. So as Marvin said F=ma applies here.

a=F/m

So it's reasonable to assume a small craft will have a strong engine compared to its mass and will accelerate faster. A bigger one less so. So, yes, a fighter would accelerate a lot faster than a cap ship..

Now if UC had a full physics model (which would be an overkill anyway), you could keep accelerating to any speed you like. Of course this would also mean you'd have to have a huge amount of fuel.. which in turn would increase mass requiring yet more thrust to produce the same kind of acceleration.. putting you into a neverending loop.. SC here cleverly skipped that, by splitting your propulsion into "normal" and "hyper". Hyper by it's very nature allows for unexplicable bursts of speed and low fuel consumption solving the problem, real-life rocket scientists have yet to crack.

I like the sluggish speed of the capships. It seems realistic, but I would like to see some kind of time acceleration implemented.

Cheers,

Doc

quote:

Originally posted by DocHoliday:

[QB] Hi all,

If I can add my 50 cents worth even though I'm not from the Physics department either, but I do hang around some forums where people are

The maximum acceleration of a CC-type craft of or a small fighter (in space) is defined the thrust/mass ratio. So as Marvin said F=ma applies here.

a=F/m

to add more detail to this

ΔV=Ve*ln(Mo/Mf)

where:

ΔV=change in velocity

Ve=exhaust velocity

Mo=initial mass of the vehicle

Mf=final mass at burnout