Ship speeds

binaryblade

You all are almost right, but here is how it goes.

An engine, no matter how small, does affect a ship. It just takes longer to bring up to the maximum speed the engine is capable of if the ship is large. Now if the engine is a combustion type, then it will have a maximum speed at the rate in which the fuel is burned. Now the faster a ship goes, the more fuel is required to keep the ship accellerating. Even if you had all of the chemical energy in the universe, you wont be able to get the ship to reach light speed.

Next, after the ship has reached the speed the captain desires, the engines can be cut. That is why shuttle fuel last so long, it doesn't need to keep burning to keep moving. Also, the "sling shot" effect can be used for long distance travel, which is using gravity to propel you by circling an object (like the earth) and then firing the engines to break away from orbit. The Apollos used this technique.

Third, the moon can be affected by hooking up a drive, regardless of where you place it. However, the drive will not be able to push the moon to the highest potential due to gravity in the universe effecting the moon. Also, gravity will pull the ejected gases back to the planet, which consumes some of the kenetic energy being developed by the engine, thereby slowing down the moon (very slightly).

Now, if you have a fusion drive, the engine will eventually send to you light speed. This also eliminated the problem with gases slowing down the moon, and also the gravity problem is partially eliminated. However, light speed, currently, has been determined to be the fastest thing in the universe. The maximum speed possible is light speed, unless of course space and time is warped, like hyperspace and warp drive. The reason being is that the energy resulting from fusion (or fission), is as fast as light, and a ship can only go as fast as the energy propelling it.

Anyway, with fission or fusion, the rate of accelleration is still related to the size of the engine and the mass of the ship, so still a shuttle and a CC will accellerate at different speeds. But, unlike combustion, the size of the engine does not matter, it will still push the ships to the same max speed regardless of mass, even if the shuttle had an engine a million times the size of a CC!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhh... light speed isn't possible... Einstein's relativity theory states that as you reach the speed of light, your mass increases to infinity (weird, huh? o.O). Not only that but peripheral objects would percieve you as being frozen in time, while you would see objects around you as passing through time at an infinite rate. Armageddon would happen instantly. You'd miss it... heh. The only reason photons can hit light speed is cuz they don't weigh anything (literally). Not even a fusion drive can get ya there.

About the maximum speed you can attain...

Just the little 15-year-old's 10 cents worth. :-D

Guest DocHoliday

Yup, that's the current belief. Although as a rebellious human being a refuse to believe light speed is the limit of everything I chose to believe it's more like the speed of sound. We just need to develop the right type of propulsion to "trick" universe you know, subspace, hyperspace kind of things. Bypass, the "normal" universe and its laws somehow.

Cheers,

quote:

Originally posted by Kooseefoo:

Uhhh... light speed isn't possible... Einstein's relativity theory states that as you reach the speed of light, your mass increases to infinity (weird, huh? o.O). Not only that but peripheral objects would percieve you as being frozen in time, while you would see objects around you as passing through time at an infinite rate. Armageddon would happen instantly. You'd miss it... heh. The only reason photons can hit light speed is cuz they don't weigh anything (literally). Not even a fusion drive can get ya there.

The Twin "Paradox" anyone

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

Gotta drag out that special relativity textbook..

The only thing I remember is that the speed of light 'c' is the same in all reference frames.

Yup, that's what more or less causes it to be the physical limit (or rather, beyond the physical limit). If I'm cruising at 99.9999% C, and turn on my headlights, the photons leaving my light are moving at C relative to me, and C relative to my slower neighbors as well. Time and space need to warp to make up for this.

Hyperspace is a concept using the postulated "other dimensions" of space, beyond height, width and depth. These "extra" dimensions are needed to explain the erratic behavior of subatomic particles that get from point A to point B without traversing the space in between (or rather, the space that we can detect or conceptualize). In Hyperspace, we are traveling outside of normal space, are able to thumb our noses at C, and can pass through seemingly solid object (pass through their extra dimensional shadow, so to speak).

You'd think that whatever technology is used to make a hyper drive could be used to make a "you go away now" weapon, shifting a hunk of matter off into spatial dimensions that it's not equiped to navigate. (I am fervently NOT petitioning for the inclusion of such a weapon in this or any game)

Well, I'm sure I have something I'm suppossed to be doing...

Heh... the day they figure out how to manipulate other dimensions and "fold" space... or anything like that... i'm leaving this universe. That's just crazy. That much power in a single persons hand is just flat out not cool. But yea... i definitely do believe that there are many more dimensinos than we can see or manipulate. Just the whole idea is really out there. Anyone here read "Flatland"?

No,didn't read the entire book, but it is referenced in many works as how it is possible to 'think or picture' extra dimensions.

May want to watch that PBS special on string theory if NOVA ever replays it.

Probably available on DVD if not.Check PBS.org.

Power Probly has less to do with it than how and were the power is applied-I wonder if anyone has tried mixing, 0 Field point theroy and string theroy.. It occured to me that if U could figure out what "teases" an Electron into becoming an electron from the point field then U might have ALL the bloody energy U need. If I am correct then the "String that IS an electron" becomes such because of a resonance or some such property of our Spacetime makeup. Or ontherwords, because of the Rules impossed upon us by Our 4 demsions. There are a lot of smart People in this forum It seems..Maybe I'm missing somthing....GOD I wish I could get my hands on Tesla's classified stuff.

OH Crap..I just realized What this topic was about..Man was I way Off:)P..I was mainly just posting a few thoughts on the folding of dimesions and such..Would anyone be able to give me Tesla's classified work? IF U could I can probly figure out how to make binaryblade's ships go faster:)P...All though faster is not what we want when dealing with real space travel.

No....I think you have something.

And I guess the topic did diverge a bit.

What is 'Tesla's classified work'?

Definitely a genius.Father of modern multi phase power and motors.

When Tesla, Died a lot of his work was taken by our Gov and classified..My guess judgeing by what work he was most intrested in, is that he was on the right track to figureing out our MIssing link in Physics..(I dont think he was looking for the missing link. But the work he was doing is what was needed to expose it) There is no need to travel A Zillion miles if U can "bring were U want to go to U" by folding space..Unfortunatley the energies we need to do this, along with the mechanics of were how and to what degree this energy needs to be applied are not here....In the public domain.....The key to EVERYTHING from what I can makeout is the making of enough energy. After that we can figure out were how and to what degree to apply our power. I do believe the 2 things though are linked..the making of this "teased" energy and then learning to fold space are probly linked..

This topic diverged a long time ago... lol. I don't know that much about quantum stuff and folding the universe, but i do know that it isn't exactly child's play. lol. Its all very interesting to me though. I'm gonna have to read up on some of this stuff Skiiwa is mentioning. Totally fascinating (or at least to a nerd like me). Ah... another thing i'm sure of: God fits into this picture. The second law of thermodynamics plus Heisenberg's uncertainty principle just sorta scream it out... we can't really know everything that happens on a quantum level - its like we weren't meant to know. Quite odd, eh?

Not Odd at all...We are but mear babies in the BIG sceam of things..God is a given. (U hit the nail on the head when U said "not ment to know") However, sooner or later that gift will be given. BTW- we kinda moved to the Science thread, as the Wrath of the Forum GOD's could come down upon our logon rights:)P I have posted a few thoughts in a physics forum..we will see. The thought I posted was just a tip of the iceburg. However finding someone to talk about this stuff that dont dismiss U like a priest dismissing a child because he asks WHY.( and the priest says" Because GOD said so") That is such a lame answer! Of course, how is the priest to answer when HE dont know....Hmmm Im trying to figure out the corellation between god, iceburgs and the speed of ships in this game..MAN Our minds wander:)P

Seriously... i really agree that saying that "Cuz God says so" is silly too... it seems pointless. God's logic might be way beyond us but its still there... he isn't irrational or whimsical. Yea... ship speeds-newtonian physics-relativity-quantum theory-folding space and other theories-God-iceburgs... that's just about hthe most random chain of thought i've ever seen. Must be because its almost 1. *yawns*

quote:

its like we weren't meant to know. Quite odd, eh?

Sorry, that's the easy way out.

People in the 1800's said rail travel was impossible using the exact same logic.

There Is a Way OUT? I dont know about U but If i dont get the answer one way..I will get it another. If its through divine intervention then so be it. There was a famous sculpter the said" he's not carving a statue out of the stone, hes merrly chipping away the rock that was surrounding the sculpture inside..that would imply someone Put it there and didnt want him to find it till he started chipping:)P Of course he was WAY before Tesla heheheh...Ive had that feeling that when the time comes for me to know what it is i want to know then I will find it out.(Pertaining to Everything I want to know...Not just physics) This would also imply somthing is seeding my thoughts...so to speak.

quote:

There was a famous sculpter the said" he's not carving a statue out of the stone, hes merrly chipping away the rock that was surrounding the sculpture inside..that would imply someone Put it there and didnt want him to find it till he started chipping:)

That's nuts.That sculpter simply had the ability to picture that statue in his mind,to concentrate fully ,something the average person can't do.

Lemmy guess.....you are one of these people who think aliens from outer space built the pyramids.

LOL, No the egyptians built them..With the aliens help, of course..they did a smash up job, dont ya think! One of these days I will go get to see them. Its nuts to U but to him it made perfect scense. BTW, guessing about me is a really bad thing to do.. The thing of God Is In my opinion Irelevent to the speed of BC3000's ships:)P and at the moment since Im thinking more along the lines of PULLING power from the air(Im Majic, I know!) all of my circuits are busy...

quote:

There was a famous sculpter the said" he's not carving a statue out of the stone, hes merrly chipping away the rock that was surrounding the sculpture inside..that would imply someone Put it there and didnt want him to find it till he started chipping:)

Leonarda Da Vinci said this when carving the statue of David from a single block of marble.

quote:

Im thinking more along the lines of PULLING power from the air

Theoretically, You can do this. It's called zero point engergy and may be the force that's keeping the universe from collapsing in upon itself.

Basically, a particle and an anti-particle pop into existence and destory each other. When they do this there is a burst of energy.

If you could harness this power you'd get something from nothing literally from the air around you.

Paper on Zero Point Energy

• 6 months later...

quote:

I know this thread is old and dead but i can't resist.

Okie here it is. No one can assume that reaching light speed is impossible although Einstein was a friggin smart man. He can only ASSUME that light speed is impossible to reach. When infact no one can say it is or isnt yet as our science isnt that far advanced now in 100 years or so if our science is advanced that far then we'll see but as far as im concerned anything is possible.

Einstein never said ti was impossible to break light speed, just highly unlikely.

There are two methods of breaking light speed.

1. A particle can travel faster than light, if it is already doing so upon it's creation.

2. A vessel an break light speed, if it can somehow supply an infinite amount of energy to a continually accelerate its infinite mass.

Not likely in either case, but possible.

• 1 month later...

Now i know this is a very late post but i figured i would say my piece. Now im not going to even try to refute Einstien...However, it was said that it was impossible to hit 90 MPH in a car and that the speed would tear your body apart, that is up until it was broken... also the same thing was said about the sound barrier that it would kill you or tear the vehicle apart, again this was said until it was broken. so in my honest opinion only time will tell if we can hit lightspeed or not.