Jumping backwards

Shadow5731

Attempted to place this into the tech support area (where it would be more appropriate), but the board would not allow it though.

Anyways, the most recent update to Universal Combat...noticed something odd once so far (will try to duplicate it and save that too).

While jumping from near the jump-node to Earth and back to Pluto's Supply station, the CC didn't turn first to face the direction it was jumping. Neate effects though on that one....ball of starts and such behind you. Nothing major, but something that caught my eye while doing the Galcom/Pluto trading run.

Saved the game WHILE it was jumping and took a screenshot too if that info would help.

[ 04-19-2005, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Shadow5731:

Attempted to place this into the tech support area (where it would be more appropriate), but the board would not allow it though.

Anyways, the most recent update to Universal Combat...noticed something odd once so far (will try to duplicate it and save that too).

While jumping from near the jump-node to Earth and back to Pluto's Supply station, the CC didn't turn first to face the direction it was jumping. Neate effects though on that one....ball of starts and such behind you. Nothing major, but something that caught my eye while doing the Galcom/Pluto trading run.

Saved the game WHILE it was jumping and took a screenshot too if that info would help.

That just means you were perfectly aligned with your jump but backwards instead of forwards. You can get the same effect by jumping forwards to something then flipping your ship over end for end using pitch. Big ball of sparklies appears.

quote:

Please read this

Thought I did that Grayson...tx for pointing that out to me@sys info.

Anyways...I'll keep a backup of the save just incase it's something that can be fixed all the same there...It sure caught ME off-guard!

quote:

Had you posted it there, it would have been deleted on sight; since its not a tech support issue.

quote:

If the jump gate is not in front of you when you initiate the jump, the craft will jump backwards because it has retro-engines. As such, it does not need to turn to that heading first. Besides, you have no business jumping backwards. Normal procedure - and common sense - dictates that if you're trying to navigate to something, it should be in front of you, not behind you.

Anyway, it works as designed and is not a bug.

[Normal procedure - and common sense - dictates that if you're trying to navigate to something, it should be in front of you, not behind you.]

Really? This simulations a LOT more fun getting from point A to point B through Z.

Just...happened to change my mind 2k out and WHAMMO...I'm jumping backwards

Noob Commanders are always shocked by the crew's practical jokes...

NO:"Tommy, are you going to reverse the polarity on the hyperdrive on this guy?

CE:" You betcha! When do you go off duty? I'll set it up to happen when only the Commander is on station."

I could have sworn way back when I was reading some related documentation it siad somthing about hyperspace doing strange stuff like going through planets and things . The documentation was quite spacific on the cause of such things. cant quite remember what the document was called as I am drunk! it was somthing like mgnaul , any I understand that in hyperspace things are not as they appear to be, There are good resons for this and having a degree in spacecraft dynamics I sould be able to tell you why, but like i said I have just got back from town it's late and I am drunk.