Windows XP remote desktop

Has anyone tried to run UC on one machine and remote desktop into the UC box from a second computer?

I'm pretty sure such a thing, if possible, isn't "officially" supported but nonetheless lack of "official" support has never stopped some of us from trying crazy stunts anyway.

I'm thinking about trying this, except I would rather avoid the hassle of figuring out what port(s) need to be opened in my Linksys router (and XP firewall?) if I can avoid it since that would involve travel were something to go wrong. I don't have a second PC -- well I do (it's a laptop) but it's "untouchable" since it belongs to my wife's employer and it steadfastly refuses to have anything to do with my PC, not to mention she could get in trouble if I mess around with it.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work.

I have a server box with no monitor, so I use WinVNC to remote desktop to it. I used it at a LAN once to run an Unreal Tournament 2004 server, and the only way I could run that server was from the command-line dedicated server. ANYTHING I tried to run through WinVNC (which is basically the same as windows remote desktop), well, it ran on the box, but all I saw was a black screen.

If you want to dry it anyway, good luck. But I'm pretty sure anything that uses Direct-X or such will just be a black screen.

Yes, but here's the thing I about VNC. If your "WinVNC" is like "RealVNC" or "UltraVNC", these VNC programs operate more or less by taking screenshots of your PC.

Windows Remote Desktop is different. In a way, it reminds me more of X Windows, in that you can have a server doing the processing and a terminal doing the display. I believe that, while there is some bitmap (screenshot) traffic, the majority of the traffic is encoded drawing commands (what a developer would call GDI calls). The performance difference between WRD and VNC is as different as night and day.

Since WRD seems to be working on a GDI-redirection layer or lower, I would assume that this would give it an advantage over VNC.

Hence, back to my question: has anyone tried Remote Desktop with UC?

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

Yes, but here's the thing I about VNC. If your "WinVNC" is like "RealVNC" or "UltraVNC", these VNC programs operate more or less by taking screenshots of your PC.

Windows Remote Desktop is different. In a way, it reminds me more of X Windows, in that you can have a server doing the processing and a terminal doing the display. I believe that, while there is some bitmap (screenshot) traffic, the majority of the traffic is encoded drawing commands (what a developer would call GDI calls). The performance difference between WRD and VNC is as different as night and day.

Since WRD seems to be working on a GDI-redirection layer or lower, I would assume that this would give it an advantage over VNC.

Complete. Utter. Rubbish.

quote:

Hence, back to my question: has anyone tried Remote Desktop with UC?

Yes. It won't work because it does not support DirectX drawing to the display. Only VNC (I use Radmin) programs work.

In fact this can be done with the right kit , UC is very DX complient and if you know enough about direct X the rest is clear. if you don't it probably best to leave it alone.

oh and this I would guess is not supported in any way what so ever.