Flight engineer in cruisers.

Just a question that has been in mi mind for some time now.....SC, what are the purpose of having Flight Engineer in craft that don't have fighters...?

In almost any cruiser there are a couple of flight engineer that I usually put as pilot of the shuttles.....but since you BOSS don't do anything without a reason in your games, I'd like to know what was the reason for this....

Well, I might just seem dumb but AFAIK and reading the manual I don't find another specific job for them apart piloting shuttles that however can be done by anyone....a couple of extra system engineers would have been better so I fail to see the point... ...

I think they are used for maintenance on your assets, which is Shuttles and Fighters.

And you can use them for RP, as in you can use your FE's to recharge a shuttles reactor, and make them ready for launch (polishing, fresh paintjob, cleaning the windows of any space bugs, vacuming, ect ).

Just worth a test....killing the 2 FE and then seeing what happens.....possibly the shuttles will not recharge...

Fe's take care of the shuttles and pre flight checks etc... sys engineers just do repairs. then they get handed to fe's for flight checks. which is why fe's are on cruisers. to do the flight checks on the shuttles before a mission. or to make them launch ready.

Shuttles are ALWAYS launch ready, all you have to do is man them with marines or FE's. FE's have NO repeat NO purpose on Cruisers!!! Quit being stupid saying they Prep shuttles, THEY DON'T! SC probably forgot to, or didn't think to take them off cruisers.

quote:

Paul Resnig

Combat Officer

The Combat Officer, CO, has the following tasks, which he performs automatically during the normal operation of the ship.

TASKS:

Assignment of Flight Engineers to evaluate and prep
docked crafts
for launch

Now, if you read the above lines carefully, you'll see that it's not only fighters they prep.

And please be careful with calling ppl stupid here!

quote:

Originally posted by travia21:

Shuttles are ALWAYS launch ready, all you have to do is man them with marines or FE's. FE's have NO repeat NO purpose on Cruisers!!! Quit being stupid saying they
Prep
shuttles, THEY DON'T! SC probably forgot to, or didn't think to take them off cruisers.

No, you stop acting stupid and chanting like you know what you're talking about. You clearly don't.

If they weren't needed in cruisers, they wouldn't be in them. Much like I removed non-essential crew from crafts that don't need them.