Joystick throttle non-function

Reno

Well, maybe not completely non-functional. But it seems that my Saitek X45's throttle is incapable of accelerating my asset of choice. When full forward, my craft will very slowly decelerate from it's current speed, and when full back it rapidly decelerates to a stop. Once stopped, I cant accelerate using the joystick throttle only.

I've looked through the VCF and troubleshooting guide, and IAW said guide I tried recalibrating the stick in both windows, and in game (ctrl+alt+j) with no effect. I've also tried messing around with Saitek's macroing software, reseting the button assignments to default every time I've recal'd the stick.

I'm hoping this is just a problem with my stick, and not a bug in the game. And if it is a problem with my stick, can someone give me some other suggestions to fix it?

The joystick throttle is functional when enabled in CONFIG. The throttle and speed control (W) both combine to effect the final speed such that the throttle continously adjusts (limits) the max speed of the craft. So if you move the throttle all the way forward, when using the (W) key, you will achieve full speed. If you have the throttle at the half way mark, you will then achieve half the max speed of the craft.

Ok, so translation to GI: Stick forwards full while pressing accelerate (W) means I can burn to full speed. Stick half while pressing accelerate and I can burn to half speed. I have to use both to get my lovely Generis moving, right?

If this is the case, I guess it would be worth mapping one of the throttle unit hats to W and S.

Ok, as is typical of me (as you will soon learn) I went and picked at the game using what you told me. It seems that the W and S keys override the throttle controller, atleast once you get above 50m/s and out of VTOL range.

When in VTOL range, if you have the throttle at anything less than around 2/3, the ship refuses to accelerate past double-digit speeds (40-45 range). But once you're moving faster than 50m/s, the throttle controller is completely overriden by the W key. It didnt matter if I had the throttle pulled fully back, the ship stayed at full speed if I held the W key.

Now, as before, when I keep the throttle full forwards, when I let go of the W key the ship will -very- slowly decelerate from the speed I left it at. And when I pull back on the stick, it's like hitting the brakes.

Is this as it's intended, or am I missing something in my caffine deprived state?

Well i expected the same control as BCM , and DO YOU KNOW how hard it is to Throttle and press a keyboard at the same time. lol

ok enough with the jokes please make it so I can throttle like %99 of the games ever released, and I only get to use the radar screen with any land rover the movement controls for joystick are disabled, it wasnt that way in BCM but why take people outta the emersion factor by complicating a simple thing like joystick movement NO IDEA. Logitek Wingman is the stick i use ,

If the thottle is the cause of logitek then ill go out and buy a diff model but please tell me you dont have to PRESS a w key but once not every time you want to move LOL please tell me. I WANT TO move with a joystick come on

I know what I posted was clear.

The throttle sets the max thrust range. That is EXACTLY what it used to do in BCM/BCM Gold. i.e. if [bCM/G] you have the throttle on the stick at full, the max speed you can achieve while moving forward, is determined by the 1-9 thrust factor.

In UC, it is the same thing, but the W is a constant thrust. You do not need the joystick throttle for that. Just set the throttle to max and leave it alone. Then use the W/S keys for forward/back thrust.

I have made a decision to restore the joystick and the 1-9 thrust functionality in UC. Probably in the upcoming 1.00.02 patch. It will work the same way it does in BCM/G but ONLY if the joystick is the controller selected in CONFIG.

You can all put those sticks down now.

Man talk about a developer who reads what his poor users are going thru.

I gotta give it to you Derek your a class act and im honored to have ppl like you in this world programing games.

I wont tell you what it means to me as a gamer to be able to even have a game like BCM/UC in this lifetime is a achievement.

Umm im not slobbering am I, Ive taken into account what every major minor and in between developer has ever done since the days of my Atari ST/ Amiga , started on a C-64.

I though no one could ever touch the like of SID MIER, Bill Steally, DAVID BRABEN, but

You have out dont Sid , David and everyone ive ever seen program and with a skeleton crew at best who is splintered accros the world.

I wonder what you could do for this contry if you were president hehe no joke im sure you be better than GWB, Kerry, Sharpton, Edwards, Dean....ect...

If you put this much love and confidence into programing who knows what you can achieve with a bigger budget..

PS email me if you ever need investors or anything at all cept my wife hehe & cats but anything else is yours.....

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I have made a decision to restore the joystick and the 1-9 thrust functionality in UC.

Thank you, sir. Though my Cyborg 3D Gold is weighted, I still need to keep my left hand on the throttle to hold the joystick in place ... else, in the heat of aerial combat, I'd probaly flip my stick into the monitor screen.

Ok we will attempt to try this one more time I CANT MOVE ON PLANETS WITHA GROUND VECHICLE WITH A JOYSTICK, are you gonna fix this or keep erasing my posts.

All im looking for is a answer to this BIG problem im having what if you dont like a post you delete it?

I understand that but i have a legit complaint at least tell me im the only one who cant move with joystick in Ground vehicles?

Edit:I don't know what you put in your posts to get them deleted but you obviously didn't learn from the experience.

Get that signature fixed you've been around long enough to know what is required.

Oh I forgot you can't I've restricted you posting rights, just hope I remember to enable it again next weekend.

[ 02-08-2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Pugwash ]

Excellent. I was about to weigh in and say I liked the old system much better.

I would still like to be able to switch the controls of the x-axis and rudder. i.e. have the x-axis control yaw, and the rudder control roll. This was an issue for me in BCM, as I used the yaw controls MUCH more frequently than the roll. This meant I had to use the more imprecise rudder rocker switch insead of the more accurate X-axis.

And yes, I know there is a control that says it switches the assignment, but that's only if you don't have a rudder axis. I do, and would like to be able to switch them.

Alright, let me start off by saying I'm a BC fan and I love UC.

However, playing this game with a joystick simply isn't working for me. The problem is the throttle. Previously with the 0-9 system you could select your thrust profile and then use your joystick throttle to choose a speed between 0 and 100% of that profile. THis was good. This meant you could maneuver and get freaky with your speed with both hands on the stick, not needing to touch keyboard to access basic flight functions.

In UC however, I must have my throttle up and be holding W in order to gain speed. This is bad. I want to go fast, and I don't think I should need to tell my ship that persistently. The problem with this is that I effectively lose a finger whenever I want to go fast(or go at all, really). It's as though 0-9 thrust profiling has been moved to the joystick throttle, and the actual throttling is on the keyboard.

Does anyone actually like it this way? I mean, better than BCM/BCM:G? For me, this is simply not playable. I've been flying with a keyboard instead of having to suffer this. I like the game, I accepted the condescending A is for Apple control revisions because they didn't significantly impede my ability to play(I still maintain that JKL is superior for accessing the screens).

To give you an example of how good the old controls were. I use two joysticks. I have a Logitech Wingman Digital Extreme that has served me well since X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter days and.. my second joystick is a Sony Playstation 2 Dual Shock 2 Analog controller. Guess which one I found better in the previous games? Hint, it wasn't the flightstick.

So, before we had versatile controls that even worked with a freaking console gamepad, now even flightstick and keyboard don't mesh well.

Please weigh in, I have to know if anyone actually likes it this way.

EDIT: I hate pointing out problems and not offering any solutions, so here's one. A small deadzone could be declared at the center of the throttle axis to be 0 and let it take over the full function of w and s, in an analog fashion. I can't really think of another one, but I don't think it'd be that hard to find the sweet spot on the stick's throttle.

(This post was moved from a thread I shouldn't have started; Please ignore anything that seems inappropriate, for I am not a revisionist.)

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

Thank you, sir. Though my Cyborg 3D Gold is weighted, I still need to keep my left hand on the throttle to hold the joystick in place ... else, in the heat of aerial combat, I'd probaly flip my stick into the monitor screen.

...Yeah...I know... I already done it with a TRUST joystick (that gotten dismatled in the crash...) and a SONY 15' monitori (that got crashed as well...)...

If I can remember correctly I was playing the old RED BARON in a dogfight with the german ace Manfred Von Richtofen .... THE RED BARON imself...

[ 02-13-2004, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: dennymala ]

I already said that I was going to revise it in the final 1.00.02 patch, so you babies can quit yammering about it. It won't be exactly as it was in BCM/G, but it will be similar to, if not better than.

And joystick control for vehicles will also be impmented.

Thanks for the intended revamping of speed controls, it's a lifesaver. The problem with the current layout on sticks like the x45 with the rudder and throttle on a second controller is that you needed 3 hands. One for the W key, one for the joystick and one for the rudder (its not on a twist stick on this Saitek stick/throttle combo). But problem looks like being solved. Great service.