UC 1.00.01 Bug reports

Werewolf

I can positively confirm that there's a reproducable CTD related to entering vehicles. It may take some time to reproduce, but it's not that hard:

Transport to random earth base

enter a sam vehicle

drive to a stagat sto

enter sto

drive around base

deploy a marine via transporter to the planet surface

send another marine to SC1

order SC1 to deploy OC at position of teleported marine

drive to a SAM

enter SAM

CTD occurs exactly when pressing /

Another scenario:

Load up IA0014 (Instant Action, Tactical Intercept)

Get into an armed flying vehicle, squash the enemy marines while NOT destroying the downed enemy gunship.

Land, get into the enemy gunship.

Fly back to your base, exit from the gunship, and enter another vehicle.

CTD.

In general, driving from one vehicle to another on one base and repeatedly entering and exiting seems to produce CTDs. While the above procedures don't always produce a CTD, I was able to CTD 10 missions in a row by just entering and exiting vehicles at leisure while doing some random shooting inbetween. After the 5th-10th vehicle I use, the CTD happens. The CTD *always* happens the moment I try to enter a vehicle

Other bugs:

x) Setting Windows Display properties to 120dpi Fonts appears to cause text overflowing the options menu, as well as the bar graph indicators for shields, solar power, etc. in the HUD to be placed at the wrong locations. This is regardless of the resolution the game runs in.

Look here, this is the options screen with fonts set to 120 dpi:

http://toumal.protgp.com/uc/01.png

And this is the options screen after resetting to the default font size and rebooting windows:

http://toumal.protgp.com/uc/02.png

x) In FPS mode, the player's character has a tendency to steer towards 090 degrees. Reproducing this is easy: Just stand somewhere, and turn towards heading 110. Somewhere between 110 and 120 the player will start spinning towards 090 automatically at a slow speed. Same thing when you come from the other side. It's impossible to maintain a steady 080 or 100 degrees heading, as the player will always turn itself towards 090 and stay there.

x) Mouseinvert setting is ignored in FPS mode. (Fixed in 1.00.02 as I just read)

x) Mouseinvert flips the flight controls, but the control pipper is still moving in the same directions as if mouseinvert was off. This is not really a bug, but confusing.

x) Bar graph indicators for shields, solar energy, etc. are positioned wrongly. AFAIK you're already aware of that though.

x) Scenario IA0110 (Naval Carrier Defense)

Exit the craft you're currently in, then walk to a different one and try to take off. You'll find yourself warped to the bottom of the ocean.

Since I'm out in the woods using my laptop, here are it's specs:

Inspiron 8600, Geforce FX 5650 128MB, 1Gig RAM, WinXP Home, latest Detonator drivers.

[ 02-06-2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Werewolf:

[QB]

x) Setting Windows Display properties to 120dpi Fonts appears to cause text overflowing the options menu, as well as the bar graph indicators for shields, solar power, etc. in the HUD to be placed at the wrong locations. This is regardless of the resolution the game runs in.

Can't do anything about it. Don't change your display properties

quote:

x) In FPS mode, the player's character has a tendency to steer towards 090 degrees. Reproducing this is easy: Just stand somewhere, and turn towards heading 110. Somewhere between 110 and 120 the player will start spinning towards 090 automatically at a slow speed. Same thing when you come from the other side. It's impossible to maintain a steady 080 or 100 degrees heading, as the player will always turn itself towards 090 and stay there.

Its not a bug. Its the character's idle animation thats causing that I think.

quote:

x) Mouseinvert flips the flight controls, but the control pipper is still moving in the same directions as if mouseinvert was off. This is not really a bug, but confusing.

Works as designed

quote:

x) Bar graph indicators for shields, solar energy, etc. are positioned wrongly. AFAIK you're already aware of that though.

If you are talking about it being offset in the *supported* resolutions above 1024x768, yes, I am aware of it and it is logged.

quote:

Exit the craft you're currently in, then walk to a different one and try to take off. You'll find yourself warped to the bottom of the ocean.

You are falling through to the ocean because the collision detect disables due that craft (its an intruder gunship with the tailgate I bet) being a support structure. Approach it from another angle and it will work. This is already logged.

ps: please don't use the IMG tags in your posts.

quote:

quote:

x) Setting Windows Display properties to 120dpi Fonts appears to cause text overflowing

Can't do anything about it. Don't change your display properties

Roger, I just wanted to state that this was the reason why it happened.

quote:

quote:

x) In FPS mode, the player's character has a tendency to steer towards 090 degrees.

Its not a bug. Its the character's idle animation thats causing that I think.

Whatever it is, it's annoying as hell. Quite often I find myself cursing because it throws off my aim - only to go "ah, it's the 090 degree thing again". And since it also happens while running and shooting, I highly doubt it's the idle animation.

quote:

quote:

Approach it from another angle and it will work.

Yes, but do you know that I *can* mount the vehicle and it stays on deck properly - but is warped the moment I try to take off? I thought I'd notify you in case your answer relates exclusively to the collision between player and vehicle.

quote:

Whatever it is, it's annoying as hell. Quite often I find myself cursing because it throws off my aim - only to go "ah, it's the 090 degree thing again". And since it also happens while running and shooting, I highly doubt it's the idle animation.

Yep, I fully understand. heh, thats why you should go into crouch or prone state when wanting to snipe.

quote:

Yes, but do you know that I *can* mount the vehicle and it stays on deck properly - but is warped the moment I try to take off? I thought I'd notify you in case your answer relates exclusively to the collision between player and vehicle.

Not sure what you mean by warped. The carrier is bobbing according to the ocean - and the fighters and gunships on deck do the same thing. I will check it out later this weekend in case I spot something suspicious.

But something has to be done about those gunships. The problem is that the collision detect ray it as the character's feet. Two more (chest and head) need to be added in order to solve this problem. This way, you can't walk under the tail of the gunship (and the precise CD kicks in and allows you to do it) and thereby cause this sort of breach.

By "warped" I don't mean the bobbing motion due to the sea. Just enter one of the little flyers and take off. You'll find yourself at the bottom of the ocean, still in your craft of course. Actually you're inside a building that's down there. And trying to fly out of it damages the craft badly.

well one strange global bug ive encountered is with carriers and their gunships and fighters everytime i look at one (no matter where) i see the whole air wing in the ocean or about to sink something with the AI i persume.

quote:

By "warped" I don't mean the bobbing motion due to the sea. Just enter one of the little flyers and take off. You'll find yourself at the bottom of the ocean, still in your craft of course. Actually you're inside a building that's down there. And trying to fly out of it damages the craft badly.

Which scenario?

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

]Which scenario?

Scenario IA0110 (Naval Carrier Defense)

It's the old mission naming convention. I noticed something about that being changed in 1.00.02

Thanks, will check it out. I think I already know what the problem is.

Installed the game, directx 9, and updated drivers as necessary, I got a low-end system so I turned most of the graphical settings off but the only problem I encountered so far is that when I'm in an instant action scenario or roam mode and I'm shooting lasers at ships they don't seem to take damage, specifically the hull. This is all during space combat.

quote:

Originally posted by Outlaw:

Installed the game, directx 9, and updated drivers as necessary, I got a low-end system so I turned most of the graphical settings off but the only problem I encountered so far is that when I'm in an instant action scenario or roam mode and I'm shooting lasers at ships they don't seem to take damage, specifically the hull. This is all during space combat.

Read the manual about laser effectiveness based on range.

And please don't use someone else's thread to post your bug report. Create your own post if one dealing with the same issue does not already exist.

SC, I can confirm that the 090-bug happens regardless of pose. It doesn't matter whether you're prone, crouching or standing, the player always slowly turns towards 090 degrees once you're about 10 degrees away from that angle.

I will further refine the issue, because it REALY annoys me. The 90 degree angle happens only on East and West (90' and 270'), and it happens regardless of pose in first person mode. It happens within 55 degrees of east or west. It even happens when you're up in the air jetpacking.

quote:

SC, I can confirm that the 090-bug happens regardless of pose. It doesn't matter whether you're prone, crouching or standing, the player always slowly turns towards 090 degrees once you're about 10 degrees away from that angle.

Its not a bug - but I will add it to my list of things to look at.

What character model are you guys experiencing this with?

I don't know what player model that is, but it's easily reproducable in IA0014 (Tactical Intercept - Planet)

I experienced it in ROAM too, so it looks like it's not restricted to one model.

Gee it's not a bug, it's a feature, huh?

Heh, I have a hard time believing you designed some kind of auto-adjust into the game specifically centered around East and West but not North and South. It's happened to me with multiple player models... commander, EF marine, SF marine (in space), and MI marine.