Particle Ship Trails w/o Ships

I've noticed an odd issue that seems to occur at times during the game. Sometimes, ship contrails will appear out of nowhere on the screen. Just the contrails, no ships there to generate them. It seems to happen when I pres F10 to view another ship that I have targeted, but I have also noticed in TACOPS when I zoom in on a ship. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this issue and I do not know if this occurs with the bitmap particle trails.

FYI, I have reinstalled UC, and reinstalled my graphics driver. I am running the RC 1.00.02 patch, but I noticed this problem in the release version as well. I can provide screenshots, but I'll have to convert them to something other than the 3 meg TGA format because I'm on a dialup.

I could be wrong, but I don't think its cloaked ships. The contrails appear just as I press F10, stay for a few seconds, then disappear. Plus the proximity is always very close to the ship I am viewing. It doesn't appear to me to be a cloaked ship...could just be something screwy with my system or my drivers, but I don't know.