Fix for the Windows key

gnowor

I'm gonna feel really dumb if I'm the only one here who's ever crashed the game by accidentally hitting the windows key when aiming for alt. So I'll post how I fixed it.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 216893

First off, little disclaimer. Don't mess around in the registry unless you know what you're doing. Bad things can happen, i.e. having to re-install Windows.

Couple of revisions to the article to make it accurate for Windows XP (Pro).

Revision to points 4-5 in article

4. On the Edit menu, click New>Binary Value. Name the Value Scancode Map.

5. Right-click the value Scancode Map and click Modify, and type in the following.

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

03 00 00 00 00 00 5B E0

00 00 5C E0 00 00 00 00

Note: Do not use spaces or returns, just type in character by character. Spaces and returns added for readability.

5. (cont.) Click OK.

This will disable the Windows key completely in Windows. If you really do need to use it, you can use the key combination Ctrl-Esc.

Hope this helps.

-Gnowor

quote:

Originally posted by gnowor:

I'm gonna feel really dumb if I'm the only one here who's ever crashed the game by accidentally hitting the windows key when aiming for alt. So I'll post how I fixed it.

First off, little disclaimer. Don't mess around in the registry unless you know what you're doing. Bad things can happen, i.e. having to re-install Windows.

Couple of revisions to the article to make it accurate for Windows XP (Pro).

Revision to points 4-5 in article

4. On the
Edit
menu, click
New>Binary Value
. Name the Value
Scancode Map

5. Right-click the value
Scancode Map
and click
Modify
, and type in the following.

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

03 00 00 00 00 00 5B E0

00 00 5C E0 00 00 00 00

Note: Do not use spaces or returns, just type in character by character. Spaces and returns added for readability.

5. (cont.) Click
OK

This will disable the Windows key completely in Windows. If you really do need to use it, you can use the key combination Ctrl-Esc.

Hope this helps.

-Gnowor

Why go through all that trouble when all you could do is try the low tech approuch?

Just take the damn key out of your keyboard

It is possible, trust me, thats why I no longer have my two windows keys anymore cause I removed them

If you could do that SC, would be awesome. That and just any key-combo that would take you out of the game (I had the Alt-Tab key problem in I believe BCM when i was using afterburners, or something like that. Been awhile since BCM for me).

-Gnowor

I lost 2 hours of game time last night cuz I accidentally hit the windows key while trying to hit ALT-G. I screamed, shut down the computer and went to bed. I'll just have to redo it again tonight

• 3 weeks later...

BWHAHA!!

I love it! You can create a .BAT file to run UC. In the .BAT, you can disable several no-no keys w/ an application called.... err... I will have to look it up again, but when UC closes, the keys will be re-enabled.

SC, I thought there was a way to lock the App from win GUI functions via the DirectX libraries? The libraries I have are from DX5, don't see the function there.

ProX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Papi,

You win with that one.

Now where did you put those chili nuts?

Edit: Another method, for those who fail to set your keyboard options, works most of the time ... it's a good last-ditch effort, anyway.

Try this:

When you hit the Windows key, the game reverts to an icon on your task bar. Before you do anything else, find a blank spot on your desktop then do the following ...

[*]Left click on the icon ... your screen should go blank (black).

[*]In the blind, move your cursor toward that blank spot on desktop ... in any case, move it far enough so it's off the menu bar. You won't be able to actually see the cursor so just guess.

[*]Rapidly click the left mouse button ... keep doing it until the game comes back on screen.

[*]If, after the game comes back, part of the graphics are missing, go to a different screen (e.g. TacOps, rear view, etc.) then back to the bridge view.

It usually (70% of the time) works for me.

P.S. It should also work with programs running on other operating systems ... for instance, if you have BCMG installed on Win98.

[ 09-26-2004, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Marvin ]

If you couldn't get the option to disable your left winkey, it was my mistake. I have a Microsoft keyboard and it supports the fix I sent.

I found a little program called Winkey Killer, if you're interested here's a link. Just unzip the contents to the folder of your choice and run WKeyKill.exe. Running it again ables the Winkey. The program runs behind, so you won't see it start or stop. You can edit the setup with WKKSetup.exe. Creating the shortcut to the desktop makes it easy to use.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

oh dear god.. I do loathe this key.

One time in game I pressed it on accident and quickly reclicked the game at the task bar.. screen came up blank, had sound. I crossed my fingers and screamed at my computer to bring it back.. And it did.

Another time I pressed the key.. I was not so lucky.

lol.. I do loathe that key