RC4 Patch Comments

Supreme Cmdr

Good fixes. I like the progress! I like the Idea of the ship engine power settings and the ship speed. It certianly does run better sence rc3 and this one runs a tad bit faster than the last. MP regions load REAL quick now when joining LAN games! Console server works good, but I still need to use the /l1 command to get it to work without "generating errors". MP is better too, Instead of throwing me off the server, everything just kinda stops in place on my machine(eventhough everything is still moving and running on the server). I guess my point is the networking is getting better. Dunno if it was somethin that you did or if I just don't know what Im doing.

Love the game! Keep up the good work!

Srry for spelling errors, im in a hurry,"More UC less talk!".

Guest Shingen

Did the intruder probabilities get raised? I just got boarded by three seperate raiding parties, each containing between 3-5 intruders, within a 10 minute time frame. At one point I had around 13 intruders running around my CC killing every marine in sight.

I remember this happinging in BCM, but it was rare.

Just curious.

quote:

Originally posted by JCMan:

Console server works good, but I still need to use the /l1 command to get it to work without "generating errors".

The console server does not require any parameters except "/s /console" You only need /l if want to log server events. It is an optional parameter. So, what errors are you getting?

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

Did the intruder probabilities get raised?

Let me post this again. If its NOT in the VCF, I did NOT touch it. OK, lemme rephrase that a bit. If you don't see it in the VCF, its beyond the scope of comprehension and is not listed. e.g. if I optimize a function, I'm not going to list it in the VCF. Another example, though I reduced the egress altitude to 14K feet, I also dampened the engine stats so that it doesn't stall easily as it approaches the egress altitude.

[ 02-23-2004, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by SC:

The console server does not require any parameters except "/s /console" You only need /l if want to log server events. It is an optional parameter. So, what errors are you getting?

I Don't really know because right as it gets done loading all the regons and starts the game it hangs up, I get a box in windows that explains "This program has generated errors and must be terminated. An error log is being created." , then the server window just goes POOF! Oddly enough I remember reading back somewhere in the Tech support that this guy uses /l3 and it stops the crashing. I tried it and it works for me too, but without it it does the thingy above.

One other thing is, for awhile now I've noticed that when you make planetfall, as soon as you get controll of your ship your allready fixing to hit the ground in some areas! EX: Just yesterday I made planetfall in the artcic area of earth with a BCMKIII only to have it ram right into a HUGE mountan before I even got controll(or to scream for that matter)! I would kinda like it if I didn't need to worry if there is a mountan that falls past the egress point that my planetfall autopilot is going to smash into every time I go planetbound. Yes, this mountan was above the egress point because I had to take a shuttle down somewhere far away and fly there to see it.

Now if I only knew where windows puts those log files I could post one for you to see......*Runs off to look for the log files*

I had this planetfall issue (is this really an issue ?) too, since i got the game, but it is possible that is due to the fact a battlecruiser which is a HUGE vessel and weights hundred tons cannot have thrust power enough to brake without crashing on the ground, and some planets don't have enough atmosphere density for making this braking manoeuvral safe.

So i stay in orbit:in the star trek movies only shuttles make planetfall, not motherships !

And what is the interest of making planet fall with a CC: transporter is useless in this case.

Perhaps for hiding from an ennemy planetfall is usefull but if you crash on the ground, the best solution is to face the ennemy !

Well what do you think ?

quote:

Originally posted by JCMan:

EX: Just yesterday I made planetfall in the artcic area of earth with a BCMKIII only to have it ram right into a HUGE mountan before I even got controll(or to scream for that matter)!

There's no reward for command incompetence. Use waypoints before entering a planet. Thats why they were developed.

quote:

Oddly enough I remember reading back somewhere in the Tech support that this guy uses /l3 and it stops the crashing. I tried it and it works for me too, but without it it does the thingy above.

The console server defaults to /l1 if no logging is entered. If its crashing without that parameter, then somethings wrong because, unlike the graphical server, the console server REQUIRES some form of logging. So, setting /l3 just determines the level of logging; which means that even /l1 or /l2 will produce the same results, but with fewer items being logged.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

Not sure if this is an RC4 Issue, but on RC3 I turned off the Music, copied the MP3's into a CD and after I got the game going changed the Game CD for the Music CD for better performace. (Figured MP3's require decompression and more CPU time than a Wav file on a CD). At any rate, every time that I would do that, I ended up needing to reboot the Computer for it to recognize the UC CD again, so I figured "forget it" and turned the Music back on after I patched with RC4. Only problem is the Music won't come back on?

On a side note, is there a way to get UC to play Wav files for music instead of MP3'?

(1) did you see ANYTHING in the VCF related to music changes?

(2) WHY are you posting in a tech support thread about an issue related your pissing around with the game's files?

(3) what have I said about hijaaking my threads and taking them off-topic? e.g. your asking about WAV files, when in fact, it is widely known - and documented in the FAQ - that the game only uses MP3 files for music?

[ 02-24-2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

The console server defaults to /l1 if no logging is entered. If its crashing without that parameter, then somethings wrong because, unlike the graphical server, the console server REQUIRES some form of logging.

You just can't seem to accept that there is a problem here.

Well here is the deal:

ucmp.exe 3,584,000 bytes,(size of file same as size on disk),the version sent out with RC4,when run with the following parameters "ucmp.exe /s /console /l1" works and

"ucmp.exe /s /console" generates an exception of type 0xc0000005 right after "LOADING MP_NZONEZ REGION SCRIPT".

So there.

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

quote:

The console server defaults to /l1 if no logging is entered. If its crashing without that parameter, then somethings wrong because, unlike the graphical server, the console server REQUIRES some form of logging.

You just can't seem to accept that there is a problem here.

Are you BLIND or just trying to piss me off?

Which part of this statement below, was UNCLEAR?

If its crashing without that parameter, then somethings wrong because,

Since some of you have no goddamn clue what an RC release is, I am no longer going to be releasing them to the public. The RC4 will be last one until the 1.00.02 patch goes final sometime in March, assuming every known issue in the VCF is resolved. Might not be until April, dunno, this is no longer my #1 priority.

Minor suggestion SC. Release the RC's to the public. Stick a big fat unsupported sticker on them. Either that or release them to the public, don't bother responding to the people posting about the issues they're having with the RCs until a beta-tester lets you know that the issue is verified.

I agree that you've got other issues besides every little detail reported on the forums, and that it's a waste of time to read every little post. Although most of it is minor, you're throwing away the chance that with a larger testing pool you might discover an issue. As far as I can see, the above solutions 1. Keep the gamers happy cuz they get fixes. 2. Free up your time. 3. Keep a larger testing pool than you have with just the beta-testers.

And in a couple of hours I'm sure I'm going to get a negative response on this one too.

-Gnowor

quote:

Originally posted by gnowor:

Minor suggestion SC. Release the RC's to the public. Stick a big fat
unsupported
sticker on them. Either that or release them to the public, don't bother responding to the people posting about the issues they're having with the RCs until a beta-tester lets you know that the issue is verified.

Easier said than done. Just watch and see just how many actually IGNORE it.

That stinks, Ive been playing RC3 then RC4 wrote down some of the issues I encountered, then read the updated "Known Issues PDF" realized none of what I encountered was new so left it alone. Im always happy to get some new updated features along with some of the "Known" with no complaints here. You cant let the "few" ruin it for us can you?

err here....

quote:

Originally posted by CrazedOne:

That stinks, Ive been playing RC3 then RC4 wrote down some of the issues I encountered, then read the updated "Known Issues PDF" realized none of what I encountered was new so left it alone. Im always happy to get some new updated features along with some of the "Known" with no complaints here. You cant let the "few" ruin it for us can you?

err here....

I'm suprised those "few" were even able to FIND where the RC4 patches were... don't stop the RC's though SC, thats evily Cruel!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

(2) WHY are you posting in a tech support thread about an issue related your pissing around with the game's files?

Sorry, thought this thread was about issues that we had after we patched with RC4. I'll just reinstall. Didn't mean to tick anyone off.

quote:

quote:

Sorry, thought this thread was about issues that we had after we patched with RC4. I'll just reinstall. Didn't mean to tick anyone off.

You're not ticking anyone off, just try to play by the rules and keep threads in their correct forums.

quote:

err here....

The RC4 patch is available via your registration link.

Im sorry if I've contributed to making you annoyed SC..... Im new to all this and im only posting what I thing might be of intrest. I do know that the RC patches are unsupported (Big red capital words really sitck out), so I hope I didn't kill the RC patches to the public..... If I did something wrong plz go slow.... I really love the RC patches.

On another note, I dunno if the planetfall stuff was designed that way. I do use waypoints. WP1: Proceed to next, WP2: Halt. Each being about 2.00km in distance. If it was designed that way then why do fighters and shuttles do the same thing?

I hope this does not make you mad....

Plz don't kill me! Take Resnig instead!

quote:

You cant let the "few" ruin it for us can you?

He can do whatever he wants. Just think, everyone, about how much SC has already done in support. I dare you, name one other game developer that is this involved in the tech support of their games after they hit the market. Most of them get them out the door, fix any major flaws, and move on. Dreamcatcher said the game was good to go when they released it out the door, and, were he not such a nice guy, SC could argue that his commitment to supporting the game ended when they released it (If it wasn't playable, why'd you release it?). SC has already gone above and beyond the call of duty by being this engaged in the support of his game.

Here's a point for all of you (and one I should probably read a couple times too.) Knowing how dedicated the SC is to this game think about it this way. Maybe not releasing the RC patches to the public will make the game better, in that, all the time he spends chasing our wild gooses, he could be spending making the game better. I.E. the more we post on the forums about less important problems, the less time he has to spend on the more important problems.

That's my 2 cents. (3 cents in Canada.)

-Gnowor

P.S. SC, you can feel free to shoot me down on this post. Actually, don't know why I'm saying this since, you're always free to shoot me down anyway.

Like I, many people walked into the 3000ad forum using the typical internet 'look at me dance' thread/reply.

Being able to post here is worth the paid respect due. Unfortunately, most people only look for 'Post' or 'Reply.' Sorry to see you patience tried so often.

We should all send you to Vegas for a break!

ProX

quote:

We'll see how it goes, right now I've got too many things going on and I don't want to have to babysit RC patches and the forum as well.

Just let the community answer most of the posts, and you just get involved when you see a real issue. This way you don't have to get personally involved with every post. I know that I would rather you work on getting the expansion to UC done, then wasting your time here

quote:

Just let the community answer most of the posts, and you just get involved when you see a real issue. This way you don't have to get personally involved with every post. I know that I would rather you work on getting the expansion to UC done, then wasting your time here

I have mods and admins who do just that. But thats not the point. The point is that I don't like the board cluttered and I have a certain way of doing things. It has always worked and the rules usually get breached every time a new game is released. Eventually the new folks get the message, see the pattern and everything settles down. Until the next game which brings more n00bs.