Shuttle at negative waypoint altitude

Cantata

Last night, while I was in the Tyrus2 system, I tried to deploy mining drones to moon-02. 3 of 4 shuttles made planetfall and deployed their drones, returning to my ship as per normal. However, after several minutes I noticed that my 2nd shuttle had not returned to the ship, so I monitored it for a few moments.

The altitude indicator read -180,000 upon first inspection. The shuttle had the second "Deploy Drone" waypoint as it's target, but it was moving very slowly. When I went into TacOps to view the shuttle, I realized it was deep in the planet, and moving towards the second WP, but it would take it days to travel that far at normal speed. Giving it any command changed nothing about it's disposition underground, but it would respond to each change, and then continue its slow egress from underground.

I suppose this has something to do with previously mentioned CALS use by the AI, and a possible miscalculation or some such, don't know for sure.

[ 03-16-2004, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Happens to me too occassionally. Usually I just set new waypoints away from where this occured and it wont happen again. I don't know if this is a problem worthy of fixing or not since usually just changing the waypoints cures it but it'd be cool if shuttles didn't do this.

OK, so I just need to be more carfeul where I place my wapoints. I have not been zooming into the terrain real close when setting waypoints, but that is a habit easily changed.

Thanks for the tips!

Like I said when it happens I just pick another spot and try again... no sweat... I didn't know what was causing it but did notice the probability went up on dark surfaces where I couldn't make out terrain.

I've been around the forums on this game long enough that you'd think I would have read this before *snickers*. Oh hey gotta run, the little yellow schoolbus just pulled up and I haven't even got my helmet on yet!

Later

Actually the waypoint height is irrelevant. So even if your cursor position (where you want to play the waypoint) shows a negative number, it does not mean that the craft is going to go under the terrain at that location. The problem is when you place waypoints on a slope.

I'm getting a feeling of Deja Vu like I've already discussed this before. Somewhere.

• 1 month later...

I've used the "set two waypoints" routine to deploy mining drones and have had mixed results. In some instances it takes forever for the shuttle to land and deploy the drone. Before anyone asks, yes I set the first waypoint with the "proceed to next" command and the second waypoint with the "deploy drone" command. I was able to fly to Alpha Centauri and back to HQ without the shuttle deploying the drone!

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Nicholas Dogris, Ph.D.:

I've used the "set two waypoints" routine to deploy mining drones and have had mixed results. In some instances it takes forever for the shuttle to land and deploy the drone. Before anyone asks, yes I set the first waypoint with the "proceed to next" command and the second waypoint with the "deploy drone" command. I was able to fly to Alpha Centauri and back to HQ without the shuttle deploying the drone!

Check the AI of your pilot/marine/FE (or whatever), it seems that NPC personnel below 20 sometimes have difficulty navigating.

The same thing happens when you put a below 20 NPC into a shuttle and have it to TOW orders. They circle around and around the target and never achieve a tractor-lock.

Best remedy is to do all deployment ops yourself, until your crew has AT LEAST 25(ish) AI.

Also make sure that the distance between both waypoints is at least 10km or the shuttle will keep overshooting - especially if it has to nav across rocky terrain during approach (which is why the terrain/object avoidance kicks in).