Multiplayer patch status

Noticed a lot of radar flicker with player targets making it unwieldy to just hi-light their "blip". I did not have that kind of problem with prior patches.

There is no more text appearing at the top of the screen while chatting unless it is my own. So if I chat the text appears at the top of the screen as it always has, if someone else says something you won't know it unless the chat window is open. I keep the chat window open but notice that the twelve lines (I believe thats the maximum line count visible w/o scrolling) end up encroaching on a good portion of the screen's real estate. I would suggest cutting down the number of messages displayed or removing the black box. The black box allows you to easily read the text so a reduction in the number of lines visible without a scroll should be reduced to say... 9.

I'm going to go in and see if I can recreate a CTD I got coming out of a cloak. Will keep you aprised.

Tak

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are on a poor connection, you will have predicition issues. You have to live with it. Use the . and , keys or menus for target selection if you can't use the mouse. There are several ways to select targets. Pick one.

The chat works as designed. You have to keep the chat box open if you want to chat. In fact, in the final version, NO mp chat is going into the commlink, even if its your own.

The twelve lines for the chat window is scaled to fit the 800x600 display without (the last line) encroaching on any screen elements. So I have no idea what you're talking about. If you have modified the game to run at any res lower than the default 800x600, you're on your own.

The chat window will remain at twelve lines and in the final version, that window will scroll the entire chat log.

I don't plan on removing the background (what you are calling a black box) because it is consistent with other windows (e.g. PLV) and is designed to work regardless of what the background world is (e.g. on some planets, most of the text would not be visible if that box were removed).

I would like to forward this information.

This is with the latest version of RC8.

Tonight (3/22/04) on HOXDNA.ORG,Mr.Werewolf had just upgraded his server to the latest RC8.I joined in around 18:30 and shortly after Mano Faber joined in.Werewolf was already on and as a SF Marine,but he said in chat he lost his command craft.Don't know what happened there,that was before I arrived.Anyway this is what I want to report: Both Mano and myself had problems where our ships would 'freeze' up.In my case I was in orbit around procon in manual control.I tried to move with the standard 'W','S' and numeric 0-9 and nothing happened.I then tried hyperspace jump and nothing happened.In Mano's case he was cloaked and in hyperspace.But he reported in chat he was 'stuck' in hyperspace.That's stuck in hperspace from his perspective,not mine(Of course I couldn't detect him anyway).

I also noticed this same problem last weekend on another server with the first version of RC8.I was stuck,couldn't move with manual control or hyperspace jump.

As far as this latest version of RC8 goes,Chat seemed to working fine and I did not notice any problems with 'twirling' images in the CVD.

Mano,when you check in on 23/3 please feel free to add to this report.

[ 03-22-2004, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Cc ]

Just thought I would let everyone know, I experience a really bad rubber band effect when playing MP. For those who do not know what that means: You are moving foward for 6 seconds then *POOF* you lag back to where you were 3 seconds ago. I have this problem every (Seriously) 3 seconds in MP. NPCs have the same problem, even on the server (How?). Occasionaly they get stuck in HS doing that. I use a LAN server (100MB/s Wire network). Bug or do I need a new computer or network? Just wondering.

Other than that MP is very stable now for the most part.

One more question: Why does It have a bunch of "gc error during QueueMessage" in the server log?

As for how I lost my vessel, I just Alt-E -ed out of it. This worked fine in this new version, however my command craft was gone thereafter.I was floating in space, and checked really thorougly if maybe I overlooked my own ship. It really wasn't there anymore.

Other than that, so far I did not experience crashes anymore. We'll see how the server keeps up today though.

quote:

Originally posted by JCMan:

One more question: Why does It have a bunch of "gc error during QueueMessage" in the server log?

If you're going to post an error, post the ENTIRE error message. THATS why there is a server log. Why is it that I have to spell everything out?

Please post the entire error message so that I can see the error number (it would be a negative number) associated with that error message.

quote:

Originally posted by Werewolf:

As for how I lost my vessel, I just Alt-E -ed out of it. This worked fine in this new version, however my command craft was gone thereafter.I was floating in space, and checked really thorougly if maybe I overlooked my own ship. It really wasn't there anymore.

OK which is it? Did you lose it? Or did you not lose it? And can you reproduce it? I have been doing ALT+E for the past few days (while testing chat) and saw no problems.

To Cc and JCman, that gc error message indicates that packets are queuing up and probably getting dropped (for some odd reason). That would cause the problem you guys are experiencing with not being to move sometimes - or warped back in time.

Guest Remo Williams

Well after playing on the server several hours lastnight here is my impression.

RC8 Rev2 is very stable. The new chat interface is state of the art and working very well. A vast improvement over the orignal interface.

I have notice a few oddities but they are already covered in the VCF I believe. I'll be double checking the VCF against my notes this afternoon.

One thing I'm not sure if is by design or not though is the ability to place waypoints in tacops When you choose the career of an elite force pilot and launch from a starstation in a fighter. I wasn't able to place waypoints the selection in the tacops menu was red instead of the active gold color. As I said though this may be by design such as the transporter and OTS option being disable in the tacops menu for fighters. I need to read up on this more.

Besides that the hyperjump issue noted as #3 in the VCF multiplayer section is the only other issue I noticed this time around.

Well I have to cut this post short I have to run my son to school. I'll Post more on lastnights session later today.

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

The new chat interface is state of the art and working very well. A vast improvement over the orignal interface.

heh, and its still WIP

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

One thing I'm not sure if is by design or not though is the ability to place waypoints in tacops When you choose the career of an elite force pilot and launch from a starstation in a fighter. I wasn't able to place waypoints the selection in the tacops menu was red instead of the active gold color.

Is it also disabled for the PSP career?

Guest Remo Williams

I just checked and waypoints are disabled for the PSP career also SC. If you hover your mouse over waypoints in the tacops menu a little white box opens and says "Set Waypoints". If you hover the mouse over transporter; or OTS it says "This option is disabled on the server". as it should.

Werewolf's problem with losing his command craft might be associated with CCs sometimes going invisible. Gordon and I experienced this at various times but could not duplicate it with any reliable success.

About the hyperspace issue mentioned in the VCF: it affects more than just the VDD/VID. It also affects the HUD and all display data for any other ship in the area. Even if the ship leaves the area and comes back, it will appear to occillate between two points: where it entered and where it exited hyperspace. For the ship that actually went Hyper, everything looks normal ... both in hyperspace and afterward.

Noteworthy is the fact that, if you have a shuttle tow you through hyperspace, other craft will see your CC okay but they will see your shuttle trapped until it docks ... at which point, you can launch it again and, to all players, it looks normal. Same goes for any other asset that initiates hyperdrive.

One think I didn't see in the VCF: Command tabs for OCs (ie. Cargo, Crew, Command) are inop. And I can't get the cannon to move with the mouse (but that might be just me).

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

One think I didn't see in the VCF: Command tabs for OCs (ie. Cargo, Crew, Command) are inop. And I can't get the cannon to move with the mouse (but that might be just me).

OK, since I don't want to keep deleting posts and since some you don't seem to get it - the next person to post shady and untested items (in the vein of what I see in cc, JCman and your post), you'll be court-martialed.

No, but that might be just me does NOT qualify as reasonable feedback. You are either sure - through testing - or you are not. Simple.

Super !!! I am on it. ( err ...how about unlocking those test servers? No real test unless someone is playing on them......).

Dude?

[ 03-30-2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Cc ]

Terribly sorry about the HUGE delay! Tragic accidents in real life (Something really bad....) can be a big bummer when they happen....

Anyway, now that I have most of the evil issues under the book, here are the numbers and stuff if you still want them: -101, -112, -123, and -108. All from a server on: Mon Mar 22 17:45:44 2004

All on the RC8 build 2 (I think you called it build 2)

I know it's dated late but please forgive me, real life can suck.

If you want more info I can send the log to you or something because I'm not shure what more I can do. By the way, I was just wondering (and still wondering ) what it ment because I had alot of them whenever I run a sever, and that's why I didn't think about posting the numbers and stuff with it (I guess that's why they say "Think before you do" ). I'll be shure to include more info next time I ask a question that seems harmless to me.

If you do not want me to post any more numbers (or more with more info) let me know, Im here to help!

On another note, I will now begin with build 3 and see how it goes. I will try to test it out and report here, but with some real life issues still to be wraped up please (no really, Please) don't freak out if it takes awhile (Hopefully rare) for me to respond.

Thanks again for your time.

quote:

Originally posted by JCMan:

Terribly sorry about the HUGE delay! Tragic accidents in real life (Something really bad....) can be a big bummer when they happen....

I see.

quote:

On another note, I will now begin with build 3 and see how it goes. I will try to test it out and report here,

No need. I have tasked Prime Fleet and the beta testers with prelim mp testing. So please don't report anything here. All reports will come from Remo or Gordon - since they will most likely be in a language I can actually understand and quite possibly be coherent to boot.

Guest Blond_Knight

Lol well coherent Im not, but Im very pleased with the build 3 .EXE. The position update in first person is better(although an Away team of ten Marines is still a bit too much).

I just cant wait until you turn the SAMs, groundfire, and base CAP back on. Just not sporting when the poor buggers on the planets dont shoot back.

[ 03-30-2004, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Blond_Knight ]

The buildings are whats causing the slow positional update when on planets. They are sending useless information and flooding the packet stream. Its a lot worse on dial up. This is currently being addressed so that it is a smooth as when in space.

I am not going to be turning on SAMs and groundfire in mp because it would be overkill. At some point, I might make it a server side config. Until then, the only time you should see SAM, SAL or similar firing, is if manned by a human player.

mp is for playing against other human players, not for engaging NPCs. For that, you can play the single player game. What you are asking for is basically co-op game mode - which is not and never was, fully supported. But once I make this a server side option, then its up to the server op to enable it (the same why they can enable NPC auto-generation) - and have all dial-up users send death threats (this single option will make playing on dial-up, close to impossible).

[ 03-30-2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Blond_Knight

That makes sense, would be alot of info trying to pour through tiny pipes.

Am I correct though in remembering that you'll turn SAMs and ground fire back ON in the next released UC.EXE?

And since I am running a server, is there anything I can do to help you(aside from shutting up:D) in the MP aspect as far as testing or similar? Im sure Remo has this handled but never hurts to ask.

Yeah, I am going to be turning them back on for single player, in the final 1.00.02 patch release.

I am also going to be disabling NPC fighter launches and making it a server side INI config option (similar to allow_ag).

I have released Build 004 which fixes some critical show stopping issues. With the imminent public release of the RC8 patch and the four public servers, this build version is only available to fleet leaders.

So, if you are in a fleet and have been instrumental in recent mp tests, contact your fleet leader.

Don't even bother to ask them for this build if you were NOT already part of these on going tests.

Guest dnoyeB!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

For those who want to give the work-in-progress RC8 mp patch a quick whirl, it is now available on the registration page. This is only the ucmp.exe file and the updated vcf which lists whats fixed/pending etc. Just backup your existing file before unzipping this file...

Either I can't find the registration page, or there are no files there for me to test out. I want to get some multiplayer goodness, but I am not compatible with the servers that have people on them it would seem I need to get to rc8.

I registered my game, but no linkage

What gives?

Edited to add profile info.

[ 04-03-2004, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: dnoyeB ]