ERROR! CD/DVD emulation software or debugger message at game launch

DennyMala

For my first post, I jus wanted to chime in an say that the Process Explorer util that SC referred to is awesome. I now have it replacing my Task Manager. I recommend it to all. Thx mucho... out.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem and have disabled all except the core software. I will post below what is running based on the process explorer report. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Process PID CPU Description Company Name

procexp.exe 2352 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

explorer.exe 1788 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

spoolsv.exe 1388 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 980 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 880 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

lsass.exe 692 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

services.exe 680 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

winlogon.exe 636 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

csrss.exe 612 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

smss.exe 564 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 540 1 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

System 4

System Idle Process 0 99

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts

DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls

Process: Procexp Pid: -2

Type Name

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I get this same error after applying the new UC 2.00.00 patch (downloaded at 3D Gamers, the first site on the list.) UC ran fine with the RC7 patch. After installing 2.00.00 I get...

CD/DVD emulation software has been detected. Please disable all CD/DVD emulation software and re-start the game.

Process List:

System Idle Process 0 95

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts

DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls

System 4

smss.exe 440 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

csrss.exe 496 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

winlogon.exe 520 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

services.exe 564 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 752 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

msmsgs.exe 396 Messenger Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 804 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 932 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

spoolsv.exe 1020 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

CCEVTMGR.EXE 1048 Event Manager Service Symantec Corporation

svchost.exe 1664 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

NAVAPSVC.EXE 1744 Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service Symantec Corporation

nvsvc32.exe 1780

lsass.exe 576 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

logonui.exe 888 Windows Logon UI Microsoft Corporation

explorer.exe 1192 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

TaskSwitch.exe 1460

ccApp.exe 1484 Common Client CC App Symantec Corporation

procexp.exe 1496 5 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

What I've Tried:

-Uninstalled UC and reinstalled fresh retail copy and applied 2.00.00 patch again, being sure to wait for the "completed" dialog.

- Disabled All running programs including anti-virus.

- Completely uninstalled Nero and Clone CD.

- Applied Safedisc patch located at http://www.macrovision.com/products/safedisc/downloads.shtml

- Updated and ran virus scanner.

- Ran a registry cleaner to remove invalid registry entries. (Last resort before posting.)

I cannot get this patch to run for the life of me. If anyone else has gotten this error with the new UC 2.00.00 patch, and have resolved it, please reply. I've tried everything I can think of. It's a Windows XP Pro Operating System, specs are in the sig.

Thanks in advance,

Eyequeue

quote:

And why do you still have Norton AV running?

I right click on the Norton Antivirus Icon in the taskbar and click "Disable Auto-Protect." I also tried to kill the main Norton Antivirus process in the Process Explorer but it will not go away. The other noton processes will successfully kill and vanish but the main "Autoprotect" one will not even though auto-protect is disabled within Norton. I don't know of any other way to disable Norton other than uninstalling it.

I will get that .NFO file in the email tonight.

To test the theory of something happening to my system in the interim, I've uninstalled UC and Reinstalled and patched to RC7 again and it runs fine. Even to this moment RC7 works very well. I patched again to 2.00.00 and there's the error. I'll try completely uninstalling Norton Antivirus before I send the .NFO file. I want to eliminate any possible cause and avoid wasting your time. I know you're a busy man.

Thanks for your help so far SC.

-eyequeue

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by eyequeue:

Hello All,

I get this same error after applying the new UC 2.00.00 patch (downloaded at 3D Gamers, the first site on the list.) UC ran fine with the RC7 patch. After installing 2.00.00 I get...

CD/DVD emulation software has been detected. Please disable all CD/DVD emulation software and re-start the game.

Read this and send in the NFO file and I'll look into it tomorrow. The RC7 patch and the 2.00.00 patch both use the same version of SafeDisc. So I think that something must have changed on your system in the interim.

And why do you still have Norton AV running?

I'm running into the same problem CD/DVD emulation software detected.... I haven't had this problem with the intial install and the R7 patch but I'm getting it now. The only programs running in the background are Explorer and Systray as usual when I run UC. I will tell you that when I first click on the UC icon I get the splash screen and the game is reading off the CD like mad (as usual) then just as you think the game is going to run the message appears.

BTW: I did think I borked the patch when I first got the message so I uninstalled the game, deleted the directory and any entries to the UC install from the windows98se registry. I reinstalled the game and ran it before patching and no problem. Patched it with this current patch and got the CD/DVD message again. Nothing has changed at all with my system since originally installing UC.

I'll keep playing around with it until I find the culprit causing the problem. Just wanted to let you know.

Just thought I'd chime in again,

I get the same, The splash screen comes up, the CD ROM reads heavily, I get a couple of flashes of an hourglass next to the mouse pointer, then BOOM! Error!

I'll keep trying everything, I'm uninstalling anti-virus and looking for anything else that may be causing it.

quote:

Hmmmm, I've uninstalled Clone CD and still have the issue. I've now since uninstalled Norton and still have the issue. I can't figure this one out.

Then you must have some remnants of CloneCD still on your system.

And you don't need to uninstall Norton because even though AV programs don't trigger this issue in SafeDisc, you should just make sure that you have them turned off e.g. AutoProtect should be off.

In the meantime, I have uploaded non-SafeDisc versions to the registration page. But the next full 2.00.01 patch will have SafeDisc enabled, so you still need to find and fix this issue on your end.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Hmmmm, I've uninstalled Clone CD and still have the issue. I've now since uninstalled Norton and still have the issue. I can't figure this one out.

Then you must have some remnants of CloneCD still on your system.

I agree. I was chatting with him last night thru IM and told him just that. Recommended that he scan his registry and delete any Clone CD entries he finds in there. I also recommended that he try DennyMala's solution (since he has XP also) "uninstalled and reinstalled CLONE CD and the small sheep head returned in the task bar, I unticked the indicated option and boom.... the game starts again." Hope all this helps him out.

(Not a question but a rumination) It's still odd as to why the safedisk is picking up the clone cd this time around though since you have stated "The RC7 patch and the 2.00.00 patch both use the same version of SafeDisc." Curious that but oh well I don't use the Clone Cd that often so uninstalling it is no big deal. I just thank god that it wasn't Nero burner then I would be in doggy poo cause I use that one all the time for file backups.

[ 05-08-2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

I encountered the same problem after moving from RC 7 to the new patch. The problem was CloneCD, and my issue was resolved after I uninstalled my registered copy of Clone CD.

I don't appreciate having to uninstall that program. In attempting to stop software piracy it can be easy to frustrate people who actually buy games. CloneCD is a very good CD burning software program, and I wish I didn't have to uninstall/reinstall it every time I play UC. I'll bet UC is pretty easy to pirate anyways, as there are already CD-Hacks available.

quote:

Originally posted by ddrakath:

I encountered the same problem after moving from RC 7 to the new patch. The problem was CloneCD, and my issue was resolved after I uninstalled my registered copy of Clone CD.

You do NOT have to uninstall Clone CD . Unless of course, you don't know how to use it.

quote:

Originally posted by ddrakath:

as there are already CD-Hacks available.

...and you know this how?