Corrupted Save file

i just brought UC on 06/08/04.

I installed and patched the game to the latest version.

For some reason when i try to load the save game it would give me a error; "Save File Corrupt,Missing object marker" i did reinstall and patched the game before this happened,the reason i did that is when its loading i would hear a ding then it would stop loading and i have to hit escape and it goes to windows.

Please help i reinstalled this game 2 times now and i cant load a save game,i only have 1 save game cause i just started this game.

this is what the error log said:

Game terminated due to FATAL error:

Save file Corrupt, missing object marker

[ 06-09-2004, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: SoulTaker ]

Remember, you have to patch to 2.00.00 first before installing 2.00.10. Always copy downloaded patches to the game directory first before starting them (unless they are zip files, in which case extract to the install directory).

I would recommend to deinstall the game first, purge the game directory after that, and reinstall from scratch.

Then start a new game (SNG), play a couple of minutes and save. Check, if you can reload this saved game.

If not, your downloaded patch files may be corrupt. Try to reload them, maybe from a different mirror (if available).

Best regards

quote:

"Save File Corrupt,Missing object marker"

I had this same problem yesterday when running the tutorial.In fact, I was almost finished with it and had to start over.

This is with 2.00.10.I don't believe there is anything wrong with my install.

If you are using the quick save, don't. It is unsupported and ONLY the QS will exhibit this problem. In fact, I'm going to disable this in the upcoming patch, as I should never have re-enabled it to begin with. Saving a live game with things going on, can - and will - cause a problem like this because there is a chance that not all the data will be written to the save file.

Either that, or you have a corrupted HDD

I am on version 2.00.00 and had the same error. I did not use the quick save - I used the normal save and quit option. I also did a scan of my hard drive to see if there were any corrputed files but the scan came up negative. Is there any way to restore the data in the saved game file when this happens?

Send in the saved game so that I can look at it. If its not from the latest version of the game, don't bother.

Also, the full save and quick save both have a distinct signature. If I find that you did use QS in the saved game, you'll regret wasting my time.

Nope i didnt use any quick save i used the normal Exit and save, I did put both patches in the directory like i was suppose to,i reinstalled the game 2 times got rid of what ever was left over etc. Nope my hard drive isnt corrupt either. i did a full system scan for virus's, i did a scan disk i did a defrag etc.

if need be where would ya like me to send the corrupt file? and would you like it ziped or not?

btw this is in roam that this is happening.

Oh btw i should mention when i tried to join a MP game i got kicked out of the server browser,no error messages no nothing,just a cruel CTD.

ok commander its sent to ya. hope i zipped it right.

the reason i asked about if it should be zipped or not is ive had to send a file to another place one time and they didnt want it zipped,they were afraid that it had a virus in it or something,but most company's have some sort of email virus detection software that can scan in zips correct?

This save game contains a saved game marker used by the *unsupported* Quick Save feature. So, you must have used QS at some point and invalidated

your save game.

Nothing I can do about it. If you can reproduce the problem with a future *new* game in which you didn't use QS, I'd be happy to investigate further.

EDIT: I just noticed that several key components of the game are missing from that saved game. This leads me to believe that the game was patched improperly. You are advised to read the FAQ in the section about starting from scratch with a patch and do just that - with BOTH patches.

And while you're at it, please edit your system profile with the correct driver versions that you are using. Failure to do this will result in your profile being deleted. You have 24hrs.

"EDIT: I just noticed that several key components of the game are missing from that saved game. This leads me to believe that the game was patched improperly. You are advised to read the FAQ in the section about starting from scratch with a patch and do just that - with BOTH patches."

i used the 2.0 first and used it while in

directory.

then i used 2.10 and ran it in directory.

I will be trying to reproduce it.

[ 06-11-2004, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: SoulTaker ]

Heya SC i might be speaking too soon but since ive reinstalled for the 3rd time and made sure i dont hit ALT-Q instead of ALT-G everything seems to be working fine now,i may have hit ALT-Q by mistake the last time. So far the game is being a good boy.

Now this is out of the way i was wondering,is it possable to make/build a base? I wouldnt mind haveing my own base.

quote:

Originally posted by SoulTaker:

Now this is out of the way i was wondering,is it possable to make/build a base? I wouldnt mind haveing my own base.

No. Siddown.

(Wrong thread. Wrong subject. And wishlist questions are a sure way to get yourself direct to the airlock and though it w/o any space suit. Be advised - you have been warned...)

quote:

Originally posted by SoulTaker:

Heya SC i might be speaking too soon but since ive reinstalled for the 3rd time and made sure i dont hit ALT-Q instead of ALT-G everything seems to be working fine now,i may have hit ALT-Q by mistake the last time. So far the game is being a good boy.

Quite possible. It is easy to hit CTRL+Q instead of some other key, so that could probably explain how the QS signature ended up in the file. Anyway, I have removed it in the next patch (due out any day now), so thats that.