CTD using Tacops display

Raptir

First, I'm sorry if this has been posted before. I was unable to find it while browsing the boards.

Now, the problem. For the most part, the game runs fine. However, when I use the Tacops menu to observe a planet, and observe any of the bases (or any other locations with many models/NPCs on the planet), the game freezes and crashes to the desktop.

Yes, I have the newest patch. My computer meets the requirements, and everything but my processor meets the recommended setup. Are there any settings I could change to prevent these crashes?

Running on a P4 1.4ghz, GeforceFX 5200, 512mb of ram, integrated soundcard.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ok, this is a solution that I came up with after being told that you have to run the patch from within the folder which contains the .exe.

1)Uninstall UC from the Control Panel, you can make backups of your saved games if you wish

2)Delete your ÔÇ£DreamcatcherÔÇØ folder, it contains files that were patched and may of not been deleted.

3)Reinstall UC

4)Download the v2.00.00 patch and the 2.00.12.01 patch from www.3000ad.com, then move them to the directory which your uc.exe file is in, should be something like "C:ProgramFilesDreamCatcher3000ADUniversal Combat"

5)Run the v2.00.00 patch, and then the v2.00.12.01 patch.

6)If you backed up your saved games, move them to the SAVE folder now

7)Run the game and try and zoom in on a Planetary Base. Good Luck!

Hope this works as well for you as it did for me!

[ 08-26-2004, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Omega ]

quote:

Originally posted by Raptir:

Running on a P4 1.4ghz, GeforceFX 5200, 512mb of ram, integrated soundcard.

Please login to your profile and complete as much information as possible. Don't tell me you don't know what kind of mouse you have. Here's a tip, flip it over

I have found the same problem during MP play and confirmed this in SP also with any given planetary base. Cities do show correctly, though.

I have emailed the info as requested by SC to [email protected]

The solution Omega gives doesn't help me as I have always installed the patches from within the game folder.

[ 08-26-2004, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Mordax Blyrr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mordax Blyrr:

I have found the same problem during MP play and confirmed this in SP also with any given planetary base. Cities do show correctly, though.

I have emailed the info as requested by SC to [email protected]

The solution Omega gives doesn't help me as I have always installed the patches from within the game folder.

The mp world is completely different from the sp world.

If this was a confirmed problem, it would have been picked up by the Beta team and an incident report opened in Area 51.

The email address you quoted above, does not exist.

If you actually POST which regions you are experience the problem in - and then at least ONE other person can verify it, then its a problem worth investigating. If not, no incident report would be opened and I won't see the need to investigate it.

Never in the history of the BC games, has a problem with Tacops observing a planetary scene arose. Go take a look at the VCF for all games. And considering the heavy use of Tacops, if this was in fact a problem, it would have been reported LONG before now.

I assert that the problem is on YOUR end and since you have not provided sufficient information that would warrant an investigation, this is a waste of time.

Uninstall the game and start from scratch. And if you can reproduce it reliably, then post an ACCURATE bug report here. Do NOT send anything to the dev email address unless you are asked to do so. Thats why we have this forum.

I'm running on a laptop and had a problem like this until I found the right graphics drivers. You might want to check the threads here that discuss GeForce graphics issues and driver versions. I'm actually running on a notebook without a pixel shader and it runs (for the most part) pretty well.

The occasional CTD I have is when I'm trying to load a lot of models (spawn a planetary base or two in one of the planet zones when I get in range of them for instance), but even this I could probably get around by pre-loading the models when I launch the game. So my advice (for what it's worth), check your gfx driver version and read the appropriate thread, and then see if you can check the "preload models" option and see if that helps too.

SC, I am sorry about the email address, indeed a stupid error and corrected now in the above post, however you asked me personally to send a report to the (correct) address; here's a quote from your PM to me:

quote:

Thanks, I will look into it but I need more information about the planet, the mzone, the scene etc.

Please document it and send to [email protected]

cheers

Like I said ANY mission zone on ANY planet which contains a starbase resulted in a crash to desktop when viewed in TacOps.

Cities on the other hand can be viewed without any problem in TacOps.

One Rico has had the same problem and I got a PM from Omega reporting the same findings I had, however he seems to have removed the problem on his system.

I did a reinstall already which did not solve the problem as I reported above, however this time I tried a thorough delete;

I uninstalled the game, deleted all files remaining and reinstalled from scratch, redownloaded the patches and updated from scratch...

The problem is indeed resolved. Sorry for being a pain in the ass, but after spotting several users with the very same problem I figured it might be a bug introduced somehow in the latest patch. So I investigated further, isolated the error, reproduced it several times, checked again with others and contacted you.

All in the best of helping the game, though, but appologies for creating a possible misunderstanding.

Yeah, I did try it, but I'm still having some issues. I think it's a system problem, however. The game slows down to a crawl whenever I enter cities. Are there any specifics settings to change that would increase performance in cities? Just not sure what setting would decrease quality and improve performance primarily where I need it.

quote:

Originally posted by Omega:

Ok, this is a solution that I came up with after being told that you have to run the patch from within the folder which contains the .exe.

1)Uninstall UC from the Control Panel, you can make backups of your saved games if you wish

2)Delete your ÔÇ£DreamcatcherÔÇØ folder, it contains files that were patched and may of not been deleted.

3)Reinstall UC

4)Download the v2.00.00 patch and the 2.00.12.01 patch from
www.3000ad.com,
then move them to the directory which your uc.exe file is in, should be something like "C:ProgramFilesDreamCatcher3000ADUniversal Combat"

5)Run the v2.00.00 patch, and then the v2.00.12.01 patch.

6)If you backed up your saved games, move them to the SAVE folder now

7)Run the game and try and zoom in on a Planetary Base. Good Luck!

Hope this works as well for you as it did for me!

quote:

Originally posted by Omega:

Well, it appears that my solution does indeed work then. Perhaps you should try it Raptir.

Wow, a noob like myself actually came up with what appears to be a valid solution!

You could've just READ the FAQ.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i have also had the same problem using tacops,If i tried to observe any planet any mission zone it would CTD,so i uninstalled removed the dreamcatcher folder. Reinstalled moved the rc1 patch to the uc folder,Patched up then did the same with the 2.00.00 patch and 2.00.19 patch and hey presto uc working brilliantly

hope this was usefull