Low FPS when planetside

BombFox

I wonder if someone could give me some guidance on increasing my framerate when I am planetside.

This is an example of my framerate:

Spaceborn - 60 fps

Planetside - 20 fps (max)

Im looking to upgrade whatever part of my machine is necessary to give me a boost on this, because im not sure whether it is my graphics card or my RAM.

Any comments gratefully recieved,

Thank you.

Your graphics card is just fine; though you will see a boost if you upgrade. The planetary terrain engine does about 80% more processing than the space engine, so you shouldn't expect to see the same performance rating; especially if you are running at high resolutions, have AA, AF etc on.

Thanks for your input SC, I do run the game on 1024x768 to take advantage of the visuals in the game, so I guess I have to make a compromise.

I have AA and AL both on 2x mainly because this stupid graphics card wont let me turn them off ( I think, correct me if im wrong ). If if I were to set these to "application preference", would UC by default not use them? I have not tried this yet.

But if you say I will get a boost from a better card ill go for that , and ill also get an extra 512mb RAM for preloading

Thanks for clearing this up for me guys

I get 60 in space and 4-5 on the ground, not complaining just adding my own. plus I don't think my radeon 9000 is supported even though it meets pixel and vertex shader requirements for UC.

i run in 1024*32, I have all options set to the best they can be for visuals when on the planet, i.e nothing disabled in config. But I'll play around with the colour depth and settings see if I get higher, I love swooping down on the planet bases with a cap ship.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

I get 60 in space and 4-5 on the ground, not complaining just adding my own. plus I don't think my radeon 9000 is supported even though it meets pixel and vertex shader requirements for UC.

Your profile doesn't show that you have UC

Just as an update SC, I did exactly what you said with AA and AL, and fiddled with a few other settings, and man what a difference . Check this:

Spaceborn - 85 fps

Planetside - 3040 fps

Thats much better, thanks SC

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I don't see why the card won't let you turn them off. Just set them to application preference and that should turn them off unless otherwise turned on by the game (UC does not support AA nor AF settings in-game).

<--ME.

I owe you a beer, SC. For about three months I've been complaining to Gordon about:

[*]My son's computer having "cleaner" lettering in the MP chat box ... using the same graphics card

[*]His computer also having double the frame rate in MP ... with a slower CPU

[*]A lag in single-player when opening any of the options menus (this one really irritated me)

First time I read the above, I kind'a blew it off. Second time I read it (after additional posts), I decided, "what the heck" and checked my graphics settings. They didn't match so I changed them.

Then I launched into multiplayer ...

Then I launched single player ...

Three months I've been trying to figure this out.

Much thanks, Boss.

And, yes, afterward I checked the settings on my son's computer ... they were/are set as you've indicated above.

• 3 months later...

FPS planetside 2.5

FPS Space 50

Hmmmmm, Im having that same FPS problem on planetside. Ive tryed 800X600, messed with AA and AF, messed with in-game detail settings, and ran the Audigy driver downdate procedure, Im thinkin ive just got a bottleneck at my processor, and need to upgrade. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas, or suggestions.

Otholo

• 3 months later...

Since I have been directed to this topic because a semi related problem.

I have no problems with low fps on planets, but I get a complete freeze it would seem when I try to jump into the earth sector(galcomHQ). Everywhere else seems fine, I jumped from saturn to earth and jupiter to earth and got the same results, the game seems to just freeze or go extremely slow (ie one frame every 10-20 secs or so).

I had recently upgraded the game to version 30 RC8 but I have no idea if thats related or not.

I am however wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Your post has nothing to do with planetside issues. It will be deleted.

Once again, your system is sub-par for the game. That "freeze" you are getting, is due to the game loading assets etc etc. Get a faster machine.