Alienware m-51 CTD

Dr_Nick

Hi Derek,

Well I've been playing the game, primarily, on my home system and have no problems at all. However, when I load it up on my m-51 I get a random CTD after playing for roughly 15-20 minutes. I went through the trouble shooting guide and have checked to see if everything is up to date and I think I have all of the current drivers and directX stuff loaded. I am patched up to the current version. So I went into the ATI control panel and lowered the acceleration by one and then two ticks on the slider. The first time the game ran fine for awhile and then while I was in hyperspace the CTD happened. When I lowered the acceleration again it worked ok, but now the game stutters even with all of the 3D models preloaded. The mouse flickers, but is functional. While it works I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to optimize the game. I have read everything that is posted and I'm guessing my laptop is a specific issue related to Alienware. Any help would be appreciated. Having fun as always...

Running on a laptop, it could be any number of things. The game is not supported on laptops I'm afraid.

Even with that Mobility 9600 chip, you shouldn't have to change anything related to the graphics acceleration. Just make sure you are running the latest drivers.

If you have been messing with the game options, read the FAQ on how to generate a new one. Then go back and only change the absolutely necessary options (e.g. turn music off, set your screen res etc).

As indicated in the config PDF file - you should NOT - use the model preload option unless you have enough memory. Looking at the specs for that M1 laptop, you definitely shouldn't do it.

That's what I thought. I'll try messing around with it some more. Thanks for the help. Damn gaming laptops!! When I ran Doom 3 it locked up HARD! However, Alienware immediately became aware of the issue and released new ATI drivers that solved the issue. The machine rocks for the most part...

Ok, you were right. The solution was not associated with the video card. I set the acceleration on the video to full and slide back the music slider in the Direct X control panel to standard. Then I shut off the music in UC and disabled the model preload option. Runs smooth as a baby's bottom with no CTD's after three hours of play. Nice...

• 6 months later...