UC: CC crashes when entering planet's atmosphere

Fist off, I own all the 3000AD games but just registered and I'd like to say "HI". Now, to the problem. Not sure if this is a bug or human error. I've tried to enter various planet atmospheres and after it displays that cool animation of the craft breaking through the stratosphere with all the flams and stuff as soon as it cuts to the planet surface I'm crashed and ship is damaged big time before even given a chance to take control. I followed procedures IAW the manual (target planet, hit shift+9 then yes to enter planet). Any ideas? Thanks for any help

quote:

Fist off, I own all the 3000AD games but just registered and I'd like to say "HI". Now, to the problem. Not sure if this is a bug or human error. I've tried to enter various planet atmospheres and after it displays that cool animation of the craft breaking through the stratosphere with all the flams and stuff as soon as it cuts to the planet surface I'm crashed and ship is damaged big time before even given a chance to take control. I followed procedures IAW the manual (target planet, hit shift+9 then yes to enter planet). Any ideas? Thanks for any help

Not sure what version you are playing but try this:

After the annimation you are in manual control. Hit the '5' on the numeric keypad to level out. Then 'ctrl' E for cals (Computer Aided Landing System) should land you automatically.

Are you playing the new game, Universal Combat ?

If so ,the engress altitude will vary with different craft.As an experiment try landing with a different craft such as a shuttle or a fighter.

Read this first:

How to add your system profile to your forum sig

No support otherwise! In fact, this whole thread, and possibly even you account, will be deleted if you do not fullfill those requirements! You have been warned...

Best regards

quote:

I'm Playing Universal Combat. V. 1.01 I didn't see a more up to date patch but I might be wrong. I cant try your advice because I never get a chance to input any commands or take control. It exits the animation and the craft is already crashed

I should rename my asset to "Value Jet"

OK! 'DONT PANIC' (Hitchhiker's Guide)

Actually I've seen this once myself.I ingresed the planet and was immediately on the ground.However it only happened once for me.Like I said previously each type of craft has a different ingress altitude.(The altitude where they enter the planet's atmosphere)

If this is a reproducible problem (And I mean 100 percent) record your steps and submit it the ... (hangon)...general issues area.

Just for grins exipermint with a different craft.

I vaguely remember a thread where SC said that the speed at which you start your ingress is also the speed at which you'll be when the ingress is done. I noticed a similar thing with regular shuttles. However for me, the more annyoing thing is that the autopilot seems to deactivate during ingress.

Or am I doing something wrong here?

quote:

Originally posted by Werewolf:

I vaguely remember a thread where SC said that the speed at which you start your ingress is also the speed at which you'll be when the ingress is done. I noticed a similar thing with regular shuttles. However for me, the more annyoing thing is that the autopilot seems to deactivate during ingress.

Or am I doing something wrong here?

That is correct. I recently added this to the 1.00.02 manual revision update.

quote:

EGRESS ALTITUDE INDICATOR

The egress altitude is 20,000 feet and not 35,000 feet. Also, the planetfall ingress altitude is set to the max ceiling of the craft. This means that if the craft's max altitude is 3000 feet (see appendix for craft specifications) and you enter the planet while travelling at high speed (e.g. 1500 m/s for the MK1 shuttle), you will crash into the ground because you would be travelling at approximately 4921 ft/sec if you are pitched down and don't quickly take control of the craft and level it out.

This is not a bug. Thread moved.

This happens to me every time if I follow the same procedure you did (which worked fine in BCM)

Start a new roam

Enter AE and craft names, select all defaults.

Launch animation plays

Select Earth

shift+9

Y (Reply yes)

Landing animation plays

Ctrl+E to land

When I do that in UC I take damage and lose all power. I can not get either generator back up.

However - I have found how to do it...

Start a new roam

Go to Tacops

Select a region and place a "proceed to next" for your cc

Go to Bridge

select AP (with or without AI - it doesn't matter)

select Earth

shift+9

Y (Reply yes)

Landing animation plays

Ctrl+E to land

I did, I even tried holding the S key untill the speed maxed out (going in reverse ?)

Maybe I should have been more clear...

Attempt 1:

Start a new roam

Launch animation plays

Select Earth

shift+9

Y (Reply yes)

Landing animation plays

Ship is damaged and announced

Manual control returns

Attmpt 2:

Start a new roam

Launch animation plays

Hit the 'S' key until VTOL is displayed next to an indicated speed of 0 (zero)

Select Earth

shift+9

Y (Reply yes)

Landing animation plays

Manual control returns

Attempt 3:

Start a new roam

Launch animation plays

Continue to hold 'S' down until the speed stops increasing (full revers thrust ?)

Select Earth

shift+9

Y (Reply yes)

Landing animation plays

Manual control returns

Attempt 4:

Start a new roam

Launch animation plays

Hit the 'Ctrl+E' (Engine shuts down)

Select Earth

shift+9

Y (Reply yes)

Landing animation plays

Manual control returns

Attempt 5 (the apparently useless one)

Start a new roam

Go to Tacops

Select a region and place a "proceed to next" for your cc

Go to Bridge

select AP (with or without AI - it doesn't matter)

select Earth

shift+9

Y (Reply yes)

Landing animation plays

Ctrl+E to land

No damge is received or announced.

Im having this same exact problem, no matter what speed and or distance I try to establish planetfall. As soon as the ingress animation is finished I've crashed into the ocean.

Happens everytime if I do it this way:

Start a new roam

Launch animation plays

Select Earth

shift+9

Y (Reply yes)

Landing animation plays

Manual control returns

But Farten's solution/workaround works. I just make a waypoint for the CC on the planets surface turn on the auto pilot and hit Shift+9, then the ingress animation plays but now when I regain control im in the sky (like im supposed to be).

But if the rest of you guys do it like I first discribed then you don't crash instantly?

This is same thing I posted yesterday... is it not the same as BCM/BCMG because I never crashed once in either of those - but in UC as soon as the enter planet atmosphere thing finishes I'm slammed into ground/ocean immediately - regardless of my speed - unless I set a waypoint.

I actually can't find that in the updated VCF

(2-16-04) althought I seem to recall reading it before. (please don't shoot me )

The thing is this: I can hot dog it into the atmosphere at max speed or 0 speed... either way I slam into ground/ocean whatever after pressing Shift + 9 and Y.

I can set a waypoint and can hot dog it also and start out at 3000 - 4000 feet up in the air. It only happens when I don't set a WP (and waypoints work just like BCM/BCMG/BC3k etc... they take you to a specified point.) My problem is that without setting a waypoint my CC crashes immediately upon entering the atmosphere of Earth, regardless of speed.

(I much preferred the BCM way of planet ingress with the planetfall established transition upon entering a planet)

• 1 year later...

I also am having a similar issue. Every time I enter a planet area and attempt to land on it, I run into the same type of problem. The only planet that I have been able to safely touch down on is Earth. ONCE in the atmosphere, I can go to tacops and select locations BUT NOT FROM SPACE. I can not use OTS weapons! I can not select my landing spot from space like I could in BCMG. I've seen a few threads on this so far, and all of them not really worked for me. I tried landing on the moon, and crashed into mountains instantly when control was returned to me. Even though I CAN land on earth, I STILL can not see it in the tacops view when I zoom in. The screen just goesd black and all I see is the gridlines. NO FEATURES, NO BASES, nothing. If anyone out there has an idea about what is happening, it would sure make my plunder and pillage attemps a bit more successful and would be greatly appreciated!

thanks, I'm looking into the driver updates, I just have a thought... When I run BCMG it ALL works fine. I have no issue whatsoever on the surface, entering atmosphere, or anything like that. I guess there is jump between BCMG and UC.I'll try looking for updates on the Video dirvers and try again.

OK,

I checked my drivers and they all seem to be up to date.

Patch wise, I installed the game clean from the CD. THEN did the patch to bring it up to 2.00.00. I made sure to get the one for "new game" After that, I did the patch for 2.00.21. Each time I made certain that the patch was installed from the directory/location where the .exe files were.

The only thing that I have modified is the directory where the program was installed. I didn't want it in the program files directory so I created a folder off the root "games" and substituted "games" for "program files" in the installation path. Could THAT be a problem?