Inexplicable CTD...

After starting-up the game, given 30 seconds to a minute (1:30, at the very most), the game simply crashes to the desktop. No hanging, no error messages, no warning indicators (...in fact, the game is still present on the taskbar, and so long as I haven't tried to actually start a new career, I can just click the icon to restore it. Once it flips to the desktop after I'm off the ground, however, attempting to restore it via the taskbar will result in a black screen with a broken soundtrack in the background). My graphic card drivers are current, and I've got SP2 for my Windows XP. The crash occurs in every version of the game (I've tried with a fresh install, unpatched, a fresh install with the 2.00.00 patch and a fresh install with the 2.00.28 patch. No dice. Yes, the patches were installed from the game directory, as instructed).

There weren't any graphical glitches that I saw, and the game ran very smoothly. Flipping through menu screens and view did not seem to have any part in the crashes, nor did the appearance of extra assets or exitting / re-entering assets. The only anomaly I noticed was that the Dreamcatcher logo screen would occassionally minimize and play in an 'Active Movie' window (wierd?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just a few shots in the dark...

Check for ex. www.guru3d.com for other drivers for your graphics board. Be sure to really uninstall old drivers while updating (use drivercleaner or any other driver uninstaller tool).

Also, setting hardware acceleration one step back from highest for audio has helped people from time to time.

If you still experience problems, check older versions of the game. Does the game run stable out of the box? A bad patch download could also be the problem...

You did check the FAQ, didn't you?

Best regards