Naval scenes on the terrain

Well, i┬┤m not know if this a problem or exist other explanation. I'm going to majoris (using 2.00.30 rc8) and when i arrives there, the Majoris Planet is the same than earth. I use TACOPS to put a navpoint to land in majoris. The planet map is just like earth planet. I choose a "base" in the middle of the ocean, then when i zoom to surface to put a first nav point (in the middle of the ocean) i see the NAVAL CARRIER and other NAVAL assets over the terrain surface, not over the ocean.

I have the screenshots about every step, and about naval carrier over the terrain.

Please help.

Thanks.

[ 05-17-2005, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing I can do about it because stuff like that can happen, especially on fictional maps which are procedurally generated. The DEM map obviously thinks there's land there and because the topology is different, creates naval assets there. If it ruins your gameplay, find another mzone/scene or planet. There are many.

What mzone/scene is that anyway?

I thought about posting this myself, but with the UC's EOL approaching i thought i'd see if the problem persisted in AWA as well and then report it, but here are my observations:

Subject:

Graphical Problem with oceans

Body:

For 3 days I have deleted, and re-installed UC 6 times. In an attempt to get the naval units on the surface of the ocean in the instant action scenario where you have to defend a naval carrier group (IA0111)

When I re-install a clean version of UC from the CD (1.0.0.01) when playing the instant action scenario where you have to defend a carrier group, the naval group is nicely on the surface of a deep ocean.

I then apply the 2.0.0.0 patch and nothing changed. The boats are still nicely on the surface of the ocean. As seen in the screenshot below:

Patch 2.0.0.0

But when I apply the 2.0.0.30 RC8 patch, everything goes wrong. The ocean is reduced to a small puddle, and all the structures that are supposed to be on the bottom of the ocean now are at the same level as the naval units, one structure is even overlapping the carrier, as you can see on the screenshots below:

Patch 2.0.0.30 RC8

Cockpit view

I managed to find a earlier patch of UC (patch 2.0.0.20) from galcom.netÔÇÖs download section and when I un-install, remove the dreamcatcher directory, reboot, re-install UC, apply the 2.0.0.0 patch and then apply the 2.0.0.20 patch the game runs fine again, the ships are back on a nice ocean and everything looks ok (see screenshot below)

Patch 2.0.0.20.

Upgrading to 2.0.0.30 RC8 after applying the 2.0.0.20 patch will cause the same problem again, like someone/something has pulled the plug out of the ocean and all the water has drained away

Also, after searching the forums for any reference to this problem, I came across 3 other persons who also had the same problem in the UC 2.00.27 Patch Released topic.

This gave me some more insight into the problem, and after getting my hands on the 2.0.0.21 patch, i did note the problem started in the 2.0.0.21 patch and is probably related to DirectX 9.0c. (or at least the interaction between DX 9.0c and my videocard)

And after the last topic I made in the tech support forum, I did some extensive testing before posting this. Making sure I had done everything exactly as I was supposed to do. And doing everything to my computer I could possibly think of.

What iÔÇÖve done to get it to work:

------------------------------------------------

- Complete un-install of UC, first un-installing it though configuration screen à add/remove software, and deleting the Dreamcatcher directory

- Tons of rebooting the pc, every time I change something about my computer I rebooted it, just to be sure

- Re-installed UC (6 times so far)

- Applied the 2.0.0.0 patch and 2.0.0.30 RC8 patch from within the UC Directory (restarting between patches)

- Updated my Videocard, soundcard and motherboard drivers to the latest drivers

- Tried re-installing DirectX 9.0c several times

- Downloaded all of windows updates (for Windows XP SP1) and installed them

- Tried several drivers for my graphics card (Older cd drivers, latest drivers, latest beta drivers)

Furthermore, I consulted with my fleet leader, Ben Zwycky to see if this was a problem that has occurred before or if I had simply mis-read something in the VCF, manual or appendix that caused my problem, he didnÔÇÖt have that problem, nor did he know how to fix it, so there must be something BenÔÇÖs computer has, that mine has not, or has been set incorrectly.

I ran UC with just the default settings on every test I did, I did not change anything in the config screen or to the .ini files that could have messed up UC.

The problem does not only occur on the instant action scenario, every time I start a new game in roam mode, and go to earth in the tac-ops computer, the naval groups are on dry land, with no water in sight. (kind of funny to see animals walk around a naval carrier )

Is there any DirectX or UC log file I can read to see if the Ocean(s) failed to render or something like that?

I hope this is complete enough to give me some feedback about the problem.

Derek dont beat me again but this might have relevance to the issue we're having here(Because since patch 2.00.21 amongst other things I have experienced this too)

PS.I noticed one thing(I dont know if its relevant but..):Everyone reporting this problem is using non-US version of UC..

quote:

Originally posted by Marc Wubbema:

I thought about posting this myself, but with the UC's EOL approaching

Its not approaching. It already came and went. There will be one final patch this month and thats it.

Content issues (which don't affect the game in any way, shape or form) such the one in this thread, cannot be addressed; especially given that they are rare.

As far as your water problem; not only is it completely UNRELATED to AlmostPilot's post, its definitely a problem on your end; which is why nobody else has it.

Below are shots I just took from IA0111

photo001

photo002

photo003

photo004

photo005

photo006

As you can see, everything looks fine. The naval units which are supposed to be above and below water, are exactly where they should be.

If you haven't applied the patches (or your video card drivers) correctly, you only have yourself to blame.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolfheart:

Derek dont beat me again but this might have relevance to the issue we're having
here
(Because since patch 2.00.21 amongst other things I have experienced this too)

PS.I noticed one thing(I dont know if its relevant but..):Everyone reporting this problem is using non-US version of UC..

Rubbish. The random placement of planetary bases, which can sometimes result in naval units being on land (because the engine sees the height as low enough to be water based - on a foreign planet) bears no relevance to that thread. Its not a graphics issue; it is a content issue. And as far as that thread is concerned, the patch is fine (obviously). If you are having graphics problems, get a better video card/driver.

FYI, this is your second and final warning. If you take another thread off topic, you will be perma-banned.

[ 05-03-2005, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by almostpilot:

Ok. Is majoris00(Sbase)/scene_nbase01.

Thanks.

I just checked the game code, world editor scripted and ran a scenario that put me in Majoris. I see no

problems there. In fact, it is 99.999% impossible for naval units to end up on land because the generator uses the water level to place them.

Here are shots I took. I took off from the Majoris starbase, set a waypoint to the naval base and flew there.

photo001

photo002

photo003

photo004

Gonna go check observing the planet from space now.

EDIT:

Started a ROAM scenario, jumped to Alpha Majora and observed the planet.

Obviously, the time of day (TOD) on Majora is around dawn. So the lighting of the surface - and the water - makes it look like land. But anyone with half a brain and who can manipulate the Tacops map, can easily distinguish land from water.

I accelerated the TOD to around midday; and sure enough, the naval base IS on water.

photo005

photo006

photo007

Thanks for not only opening a POINTLESS topic but for sending me on a wild goose chase.

[ 05-03-2005, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I'm sorry but this is not a POINTLESS topic. Obviously you was not capable to reproduce the problem, but it's exist in UC.

I try to explain better, so anyone without brain could understand (and see, just keep the eyes open).

arrive in Majoris

using a tacops to zoon to planet

observe majoris and choose the land zone in the midle of the ocean

zoom to mzone and choose the mscene(where go the ocean ???)

Well, the naval carrier and the other assets over the terrain

I can't believe let me put my glasses !!!!

Yes, i think that i can't see any ocean around here !!! can't you ????

I've read the entire topic, and it looks like some people are having the problem and some aren't. I installed 2.00.30 RC8 last night and I spent quite a bit of time playing with naval assets on Earth and had no problem. It might be specific to certain machine configurations and therefore hard to re-create. I know that the SC doesn't need me to stand up for him, but your comments did make it look like he was at fault but not intelligent enough to listen or re-create the problem himself. I apologize if I read it wrong. I'll shut up now.

OK, and about "half brain" part. But it's not the problem. I was ironic just because this. SC made a game that i love and i just try to report a problem to improve the game. I was polite until the already told before. Not Inteligent enough ? I don't (never) said this.

quote:

Originally posted by almostpilot:

zoom to mzone and choose the mscene(where go the ocean ???)

This shot proves my point. That is NOT the height map that Majoris uses.

If you were actually paying attention, you would have noticed this from my photo005 image above and noticed that its totally different from your photo003.

Majoris uses height map MAP03. This is defined in .PTE3PTEDEFS.INI on line 26899

That naval base is ON WATER and is defined on line 26909 as scene_nbase01,44752.10,83330.96

If the height map that is used is incorrect, of course naval units will appear on land.

I just installed a fresh copy of the game, applied the 2.00.00 and 2.00.30RC8 patches and found NO problems whatsoever with this issue.

So obviously either you borked your install, have applied hacks (or whatever) to the game, modified the content etc etc.

quote:

Originally posted by Matchoo:

almostpilot, looking your images it looks like you and maybe some others are having problems, but insulting the SC probably isn't the best way to point them out.

He didn't insult me. English is not his first language, but I got the idea of what he is trying to say.

OK, my apologizes. I'm playing the game with a fresh install (Because i format my HD), cd + 2.00.00+ 2.00.30 rc8, and only get back my SAVES files. But i will try to install again the entire game (later)and start from the older saves. But i can't do this in the next days. when i try again i will post the results.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

How about posting your rig info per this .

I don't have this problem myself,but many others have complained about the same.

The trick is to find the common denominator.

On second thought,since these discussions have a tendency to become 'muddled',let's redefine the the problem:

And the problem is :(please fill in the blank).

The problem is:since patch 2.00.21 the surface of planets have changed(this means areas which were formerly covered with snow are now deserts,no more oceans etc.).

@cealevent:try patching to 2.00.20 instead and let us know what happens.

quote:

The problem is:since patch 2.00.21 the surface of planets have changed(this means areas which were formerly covered with snow are now deserts,no more oceans etc.).

Rubbish.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Rubbish.

You said it more than once but I really wonder how you explain that I did not have any problems with any patch since 2.00.21(IIRC my first patch was 2.00.16),but I started having two problems(one of them is this) with 2.00.21(and ALL of the later ones);downloading the patch again(even though the MD5 report is OK),uninstalling the game as it states in FAQ,even reinstalling windows(after a new format)didnot change anything.Improper patching is not an issue as I knew how to patch this game *before* I bought my first BC game(thats BCMG,roughly a year ago).

Please explain that rubbish statement

@cealevent:This is from Marcs post:"I managed to find a earlier patch of UC (patch 2.0.0.20) from galcom.netÔÇÖs download section ".I dont know if its still there though.

I might have found the common denominator:

Just from this topic alone, looking at the systems specs of everyone who posted, i came to the conclusion that me, Wolfheart, Cealeven and almostpilot all have a GForce graphics card, while SC, CC and Matchoo have a ATI Radeon graphics card and have no problems.

This might indeed have nothing to do with UC itself, maybe just that our Gforce card don't understand how to render certain things like hightmaps, oceans and planetary surfaces using DX 9.0c

While ATI cards have no problems rendering them at all.

Anyway, i upgraded my computer ones for UC, and i'dd be willing to do it again if this could solve the problem.