splash screen then no load problem solved (for me)

djleo9

Hi SC,

My name is Dan and I have a possible solution for people having trouble getting UC to load or get past the splash screen.

After installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling almost 20 times I had a moment of clarity. I recently partitioned my hard drive with one partition using the NTFS as opposed to FAT16 or 32. I installed UC on this drive and it works with both patches (having checked for stability before applying each patch). Both patches being 2.00.00 and 2.00.31 .

I am pretty sure it's the NTFS partition that did the trick, because nothing worked from the forums nor did anything else I'd tried. I don't even have to kill my other programs that are running, it works perfect. This worked for me and it may just work for you.

Has nothing to do with the the drive partition.

If you had actually read the game's FAQ, you would have figured out the problem in under two minutes.

The ONLY reason it works now is because as part of your reinstalling the OS, the required codec for the intro movie (which is what causes this issue on some machines without the correct codec) was also installed.

With all do respect I did read the faq and I tried everying including the -n method and that did nothing. I uninstalled, deleted the folder and reinstalled on my other drives and nothing did the trick untill the NTFS drive. Not even the clean boot helped. I spent hours on the forums, reading the manuals, and I didn't want to say anything untill I figured it out myself. The only thing that changed between intalls that did work and installs that didn't was the drive it was on.

Maybe it was the codec, but from my prespective I'm doubting it. However, you are the more experienced here. I'll respect your insight, but I do recommend people who are having the same troubles at least try this.

Thanks for posting on this thread SC

I forgot to add this in previous post, I apoligize for any confusion.

I put the partition in with the os before ever trying to install the game. I didn't reinstall the os. Sorry about the confusion SC.

Thanks again for your input.

I have noticed that any game with large data files, not just UC, can be subject to "nasty fragmentation". But this occurs during installation/patching, not general use. The only thing fragmentation seems to affect in those games are performance hits on things like splash screen/video/load times. Things associated with very large files. No crashing/instability, though.

For instance, for me the effect of defragging my HD upon UC was to remove the stuttering of and speed up the opening splash video. However, the video could still run while fragmentted -- no hangs or the like. It just ran ugly (from an aesthetic perspective).

(I suppose on could also reasonably attribute the above to my system not being powerful enough to compensate for the fragmenting by brute force.)