Any way to reduce Choppy ness in gameplay

My game seems to become very incoherent when i try to attack an enemy base..The response to commands and the graphics chop along and seems as though there is little response to walk forward back...ect almost like i don't have the right refresh rate or something.My marines or officers are rocking back and forth looking at me stupidly between upright and diagonal to the ground? The smoothness I have in space or when at a nuetral or friendly base seems to disappear, any ideas on whats going on or how to fix it would be appreciated.

I don't know how to add it like The rest of you so i'll list it

1.7celeron hunk of junk

384mb ram ddr

win xp

soundblaster audigy 2 d ver 5.12.4.522

radeon 9250 d ver 6.14.10.6476

direct x 9.0c

lazer mouse

904 windows managed page file

direct draw enabled

direct 3d enabled

hardware sound full acceleration

does this help any? Is it just my crappy cpu?

You never mentioned what version you are running. The difference in performance from the initial retail release (1.01?) to the latest release is huge. Performance on planets is much better.

Your driver information in your profile should show actual version numbers. "updated yesterday" becomes quite inaccurate when we get to, say, tommorrow?

I have the same problem with choppiness. The planetary instant action scenarios are pretty much unplayable for me. I have tried all different options within the game and none make any difference.

I have defragged my harddrive. I am using the latest patch. I just cannot figure it out.

I have had the same problem from the unpatched version through the latest patch with no real difference.

Any suggestions?

Probably the same problem i'm having: your Celeron processor...it's just a budget version of the P4, with 1/4 of the P4's cache memory, in my opinion, the "Celeron" is not a processor to play games on. As soon as i can afford it, i plan to replace it with a P4

quote:

Originally posted by McSix:

You may be right but I do play lots of other games with higher system specs than this with no problems at all. I will try a new processor at some point as well. Thanks for your reply.

While that may be true, it is irrelevant. ALL games are different and thus have different requirements.

My games are all CPU limited. due to the fact that 50% of the processing is AI based. And even then, the fact that they even run (with such a large game world) is nothing short of technology magic on my part.

Just because you have a high-end video card, and can play Half-Life 2 with everything on, means that you won't have issues with others. Why would a video card to AI processing? (I don't even think it's possible)

My only suggestion is to cut back the number of processes running at the same time.

Halt all programs not necessary running in the background.

Depending on what XP feels like doing,I'm down to 17.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

You may be right but I do play lots of other games with higher system specs than this with no problems at all. I will try a new processor at some point as well. Thanks for your reply.

While that may be true, it is irrelevant. ALL games are different and thus have different requirements.

My games are all CPU limited. due to the fact that 50% of the processing is AI based. And even then, the fact that they even run (with such a large game world) is nothing short of technology magic on my part.

I don't dispute anything that you say. It is frustrating none the less. Maybe my question should be "Is anyone running the game with a Celeron and not having stuttering problems?"

Oh well no worries it is really not that big of a deal. The demo of the new game coming out seems to run a lot smoother for me. I will just wait for that to come out.

"Why would a video card to AI processing? (I don't even think it's possible)"

Wow I don't recall saying or even implying that. Thanks for your help though.

I guess i Could have phrased my question a little better.But one can only learn from his mistakes by help from the more experienced.One day I will probly get a new Processor and take the time to figure out what a driver is and where i find that info and add it to my profile in the near distant future as the game has become unsupported anyway. May even try the new demo and see if i have any problems and if not buy it and enjoy...what kind of restrictions the demo come with? Hate to download a 1 gig file on 56k modem and only be able to play for 15minutes...lol...TY for even responding to this Post as I hear its not too common anymore..

quote:

Oh well no worries it is really not that big of a deal. The demo of the new game coming out seems to run a lot smoother for me. I will just wait for that to come out.

Don't let that fool you. SC released that Demo with A LOT of stuff turned off and in a relatively small universe compaured to the REAL game. If you're having processing problems with UC, believe me, you will have WAY more with UCAWA. Keep in mind that the Naval Assets will be turned on in this game PLUS all the new high poly count Graphics will mean that your processor will need to work DOUBLE TIME on the new one. As a matter of fact one of the main reasons SC is releasing UC Gold Edition is so that the people with Sub 2Ghz machines can have a new game too (Especially the new MP Kernal).

One of the things that I can tell you that made a HUGE difference with me was upping my Memory, when I upped it from 256 to 512 that made a HUGE difference and when I upgraded to 1GB, that also made a big difference, but not quite as big as from 256 to 512. Increasing memory is one of the cheapest ways you can upgrade your machine. Keep in mind that Windows XP OS alone uses almost 200 Megs of RAM, leaving only a little over 100 Megs to run the game, so that means that the game is swapped out to the Hard Drive via Virtual Memory. Since your hard drive works literally almost 1000 times slower than your memory, then you will notice a performance hit.

quote:

"Why would a video card to AI processing? (I don't even think it's possible)"

Wow I don't recall saying or even implying that. Thanks for your help though. [/QB]

Sorry about that... Must have been out of my mind when I posted that.

No problem. I will just have to get the new game when it is out and see how it runs. If it does not run well I will shelve it until I get around to updating my system. Thanks all for your input.