Unable to enter name to start new game

rnpoole

I am experiencing the problem described in this thread.

Can't type my name.

I have taken all of the steps indicated in the thread but no joy.

This problem has occurred after I re-installed BattleCruiser MGE, and Universal Combat after a considerable hiatus'. The problem appears in both games.

The keyboard works fine in-game. However I am restricted to Instant Action and that's just not a good thing.

I am at a complete loss. Any assistance would be much appreciated. I need to get my chops back in time for Galactic Command.

I have: Installed all updates. Reloaded all drivers. Adjusted anti-aliasing. Ensured the fonts were loaded to no avail.

I grovel before you. For whatever reason, I am unable to post to the Tech Support General Discussion and the Tech Support thread for Universal Combat is read only of course.

OPERATING SYSTEM: winXP

OS ENVIRONMENT: 32

GAME ENVIRONMENT: n/a occurs at any resolution

GAME VERSION:2.00.30

GAME TYPE: campaign

CAREER/RACE/CASTE: n/a

ASSET/LAUNCH BASE: n/aPROBLEM

Unable to input name or asset name on the Start Game screen.

TO REPRODUCE

1.Start New Game

2.Click an available slot.

3.Attempt to enter a name.

Nothing to do with the game.

Yes, I understand this. My concern is that should I purchase UCSE, I most likely will experience the same problem. I am chomping at the bit, as it were.

If you've been messing with the AA settings for your video card, you may experience this.

As I said in the report I Adjusted anti-aliasing. six ways from Sunday. Maybe seven. So yes, I have been messing with the AA settings because the thread that I referenced said that AA settings were the problem. I reduced AA to the min., shut it off, turned it up full, went back to defaults, sacrificed a chicken, etc.,etc., and no change.

I am running an ATI 850 with the latest driver for Pete's sake. I mean ... good grief. Know what I mean? Anybody else running an 850 out there experiencing a problem like this?

I have been scouring the Internet for days. My fingers are raw and bleeding and I think my wife may have already called the funny farm. I'm what you call ...desperate for an answer. If I may speak freely, well, "It's a pisser" of a problem sir.

What do you calculate the probability of the problem carrying over to UCSE?

Sorry bud, can't help you there. Have you updated to the latest December edition of the DirectX drivers?

Also, do you have the game mode of your mouse enabled? If so, try turning it off. Also take a look if you've tinkered with the pointer settings in control panel.

• 3 years later...
Guest Nathan Brazil

I ran into this same problem. If you use hVidia cards and drivers, like me, the problem is likely your GLOBAL antialiasing settings. For some reason, telling the driver to use custom settings for UC.EXE does not work. However, if you set antialiasing off in global settings, the problem goes away. I suspect this may have to do with the way the game is loaded into memory.

Derek: you may want to add this to the FAQ.

I ran into this same problem. If you use hVidia cards and drivers, like me, the problem is likely your GLOBAL antialiasing settings. For some reason, telling the driver to use custom settings for UC.EXE does not work. However, if you set antialiasing off in global settings, the problem goes away. I suspect this may have to do with the way the game is loaded into memory.

Derek: you may want to add this to the FAQ.

Nothing to add in the FAQ. The game works fine if you don't mess with your video card settings. All settings should be application controlled.