GBS III to be released with Universal Combat

Supreme Cmdr

GBS3 (unsupported!) will either be included on the UC game CDROM or be available for download shortly after release.

You can do pretty much everything you could in previous GBS versions and it also includes plugins from MAX 2 to 5 for exporting models to the .3D format.

Depending on the sales of the game, I may spend time creating an export plugin for the freeware Milkshape3D modeling tool.

...in other news, I am talking with Caligari about supporting their GameSpace extensions. This is a cheaper alternative to MAX and more professional (and with more options) than MilkShape3D.

[ 12-01-2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest controllersean

quote:

Depending on the sales of the game, I may spend time creating an export plugin for the freeware Milkshape3D modeling tool.

That is good. Is it possible to mod the universe, to any extent? Like changing planets, systems, galaxies even? If so, this could be the perfect place for my little mod...

Guest controllersean

I need to mod the names, at least, as there's a kinda different universe there, although based on the currently existing (I mean, currently existing in real life). Also, satellites and stations - I need to mod these, too. Any access to the universe properties, at all?

Also, heh - did you fix the "Moon is a few billion kilometers from Earth" thing? The Earth is not even visible from where the Moon is? Is the size realtion right this time?

[ 12-01-2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

I wish to change the properties of weapon effects. I want to make a better variety. I would like to see different types of turret laser colors for each ship and maybe change the main gun effects on heavy ships to something meatier.

I figure you CAN change this, since you can change the textures for models. This is just my opinion though.

Will GBSIII be able to do this? Yes or no and how?

quote:

Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:

I need to mod the names, at least, as there's a kinda different universe there, although based on the currently existing (I mean, currently existing in real life). Also, satellites and stations - I need to mod these, too. Any access to the universe properties, at all?

Also, heh - did you fix the "Moon is a few billion kilometers from Earth" thing? The Earth is not even visible from where the Moon is? Is the size realtion right this time?

1. You can't change the name of the univere entities (e.g. region, moon, planet etc) because they are part of the world dataset. I am not going to release the tools needed to modify and/or create this dataset for a lot of reasons. Don't ask. Don't plead. Don't cuss. I never have and never will do it. Period.
  2. 3D world entities (stations etc) are not part of the world dataset. They are scripted. So, if you want to change the location of a station, you can. The world dataset consists only of the space/planet region data and jump anomalies only. Nothing else. This means that anything added to that dataset (e.g. stations, ships etc) has to be scripted - which GBS3 allows. But go messing around in the system scripts (i.e. change the default location of any assets (e.g. stations, ODS systems etc), you'll soon regret it.
  3. There are no realistic ranges in the game. So I didn't have to solve the distance from Earth to Moon problem. It was never a problem to begin with, since I never set out to recreate it realistically.

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

I wish to change the properties of weapon effects. I want to make a better variety. I would like to see different types of turret laser colors for each ship and maybe change the main gun effects on heavy ships to something meatier.

I figure you CAN change this, since you can change the textures for models. This is just my opinion though.

Will GBSIII be able to do this? Yes or no and how?

There you go again, with your ridiculously silly assumptions. Just because you can change the laser type/color, does not mean you can do this because you can change the textures of models. The two aren't even remotely connected. Don't you ever learn? Here's a tip. Before you post, READ the format and context of other posts (e.g. the one before yours), then, ponder a bit, think some more - find a priest (just to be sure), THEN post.

quote:

There you go again, with your ridiculously silly assumptions. Just because you can change the laser type/color, does not mean you can do this because you can change the textures of models. The two aren't even remotely connected. Don't you ever learn? Here's a tip. Before you post, READ the format and context of other posts (e.g. the one before yours), then, ponder a bit, think some more - find a priest (just to be sure), THEN post.

Please dont hit me

I'm Sawy...

Guest controllersean

I'm sorry, SC, but isn't your game title a 'Space Simulation'? The great distance between the Earth and the Moon wouldn't bug me so much, if it could be traversed quickly. In spite of this, next question - will we have some godlike abilities to accelerate time? I mean, if you, for example, launch a shuttle to a planet, when you just left a station in orbit (I'm talking of BCMG now), you have to wait for quite a while until the shuttle makes a planetfall. Also, repairs - after a serious firefight, I barely made it to a station, and guess what - time till repair of all primary systems was a few hours of real time. Unless either this is fixed, or time lapse is added, the game will lose some gameplay value.

Ok, got 'a bit' off topic there...

Ok, so much for a custom universe. Next question. Planetary terrain alterations, I suppose at least this is possible (the original Earth is supposed to be bombed out in this). Also, any means to limit player's access to jump points? Like if I want to cut off some areas of the galaxy? Or is this also 'hard-coded'? (I might as well use this expression for anything non-editable)

And one more question: maximum size of in-game objects?

quote:

Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:

I'm sorry, SC, but isn't your game title a 'Space Simulation'?

Your point being what? If you want real distances, go play something like Orbiter.

quote:

will we have some godlike abilities to accelerate time?

Only as a use-at-your-own-risk cheat. The same as in previous BC games.

quote:

Unless either this is fixed, or time lapse is added, the game will lose some gameplay value.

Its not broken, so nothing needs to be fixed

quote:

Next question. Planetary terrain alterations, I suppose at least this is possible (the original Earth is supposed to be bombed out in this).

Once again - perhaps what I said above wasn't clear - you cannot alter the world dataset. And yes, that includes the planetary terrain topology.

quote:

Also, any means to limit player's access to jump points?

No. Again - they are part of the world dataset and that cannot be altered.

quote:

And one more question: maximum size of in-game objects?

There isn't one

Guest controllersean

It is possible to accelerate time in BCM? HOW??!!

Heh... tried to fiddle with the world dataset... you're right, it's indecypherable, at least for me... The navdata.ini file, however, seems to contain valuable info...

Anyways, so it is possible to create a station in shape of a giant metal ring with turrets and dockports around a planet? Good... at least that's good... heh...

Although, as of now, I think I-War2 is better to mod... but we'll see.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

GBS3 (unsupported!) will either be included on the UC game CDROM or be available for download shortly after release.

You can do pretty much everything you could in previous GBS versions and it also includes plugins from MAX 2 to 5 for exporting models to the .3D format.

Depending on the sales of the game, I may spend time creating an export plugin for the freeware
Milkshape3D
modeling tool.

...in other news, I am talking with Caligari about supporting their
GameSpace
extensions. This is a cheaper alternative to MAX and more professional (and with more options) than MilkShape3D.

Guest controllersean

Hmm... okay, this is completely off topic, but I found the ElapseTime1 and ElapseTime2 lines in the config file. They do not work, even if I rebind them to something like Ctrl+B(Ctrl+T is reserved for a func). How do I make them work? Please point me to a thread if this is covered somewhere...

You need to start the game with the cheat parameter to enable the time compression.

to do this edit your shortcut to the game or create a new one and edit the target line to read

"C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Goldbcm.exe" -cheat

and apply the changes.

N.B. the file path must be correct above is the default install path yours may differ.

Now when you launch from a station you will notice the word "Cheat" in the top right hand corner.

try Ctrl+T or Ctrl+Shift+T

I cant remember if this is enabled in the original release I'm not going to uninstall and reinstall just to check it out, it certainly works with 1.01.01 RC7 but then you should be running RC7

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

includes plugins from MAX 2 to 5 for exporting models to the .3D format.

would it to be too much to ask for a simple nod of your head to comfirm whether or not this means i will actually be able to use max 5? just to clarify so i can start getting excited without worrying about getting my hopes up. I thought you had no plans for supporting max 5, and it's the only tool i have any sort of access to.

aww, what the heck...WOOT!!!!

Could all this mean that UC could, someday, become an enormous and gigantic mod community, like some of the other games out there???

*imagines what that would be like*

WOW!! Just think of the possibilities and potential!!

Man, I got some big dreams going on me head right now I gotta lie down, getting dizzy

What are peoples thoughts on this???

If there are modding tool that allow a goods amount of things to be done then there can be a good modding community. Thanks to the SC releasing GBS-III UC will live alot longer than BCM will. At least thats what has been shown to us with all the games there are right now, just ask yourself could Games like Half-life and BF1942 have survived like they have if they could not be modded?

In fact, i had about 50 or so 3ds MAX models that i was planning to add to BCM but since GBSII was not out i dropped it. and used them for creating short space animations, etc.

Anyways, UC will rock with everything its GBS_III will be able to give us.

Cheers

This is all excellent news. Does anyone know if we will have the ability to port animated models into the game, or will they have to be statics? (ie I want to create and import my own wildlife, etc.) Likewise, will the capability exist to create new player/human models?

quote:

Originally posted by zardalu:

This is all excellent news. Does anyone know if we will have the ability to port animated models into the game, or will they have to be statics? (ie I want to create and import my own wildlife, etc.) Likewise, will the capability exist to create new player/human models?

I am nearing an arrangement with Caligari in order that the trial version of GameSpace either be included on the game CDROM or made available for download here on our site. GameSpace is a lot cheaper than MAX or GMAX and a bit more intuitive. Once I get the SDK, I'll have Andrei create a model export plugin. So UC will have export plugins for MAX (assuming I include them), GameSpace and Milkshape3D.

And yes you will be able to export static or animated models.

Adding new models to the game is not as easy as creating as script and using existing models. It is a major undertaking which requires not only hardcore knowledge, but also dedication seen by folks who do high-end mods (e.g. Total Conversions) such as those seen for BF1942 and similar games. Sure you can replace the ZS10 combat rifle with an M16, but without any low level changes, you can only backup several files (e.g. ZS10.3D, ItemMgr.ini) then rename the new models to match. In most cases you simply cannot add new model classes to the game without access to the game engine code. GBS-III does not provide such code access. As such you are stuck with replacing existing models and using their classes instead (e.g. replacing an ICMK1 model with an F16 model).

quote:

I am nearing an arrangement with Caligari in order that the trial version of GameSpace either be included on the game CDROM or made available for download here on our site. GameSpace is a lot cheaper than MAX or GMAX and a bit more intuitive. Once I get the SDK, I'll have Andrei create a model export plugin. So UC will have export plugins for MAX (assuming I include them), GameSpace and Milkshape3D.

Again, this is great news. I, for one, would apprectiate the inclusion of the MAX export plugins (if it remains possible) for those of us who already own the program. However, Caligari makes a great tool and frankly any plugin for any system will be most welcome.

Man, The longevity of this game could be outstanding if were able to mod like half-life and those other games

quote:

Adding new models to the game is not as easy as creating as script and using existing models. It is a major undertaking which requires not only hardcore knowledge, but also dedication seen by folks who do high-end mods (e.g. Total Conversions) such as those seen for BF1942 and similar games. Sure you can replace the ZS10 combat rifle with an M16, but without any low level changes, you can only backup several files (e.g. ZS10.3D, ItemMgr.ini) then rename the new models to match. In most cases you simply cannot add new model
classes
to the game without access to the game engine code. GBS-III does not provide such code access. As such you are stuck with replacing existing models and using their classes instead (e.g. replacing an ICMK1 model with an F16 model).

Ok its understood that itll be difficult to create NEW model classes so therefore it'll be easier to mod whats already there. So will a modder be able to create models for the FPS characters for each given race? We all know that UC uses the same player models for each race in the game.

And since the class or set is already provided in the script, the gammulan marine or the Empirian medic etc etc , will we be able to create a different variety of player models for each race?

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

And since the class or set is already provided in the script, the gammulan marine or the Empirian medic etc etc

Rubbish

quote:

will we be able to create a different variety of player models for each race?

No