GBS III to be released with Universal Combat

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

i doubt anyone can do a TC - the GBS modding tools weren't made with TCs in mind, mostly to script missions and add/modify ships AFAIK.

Correct.

Here is what you are allowed to do with GBS-III. If its not in this list, you can't do it.

1. Create new space/planet scenario scripts (ROAM/ACM/IA)
  2. Modify attributes for entities (e.g. weapons, lasers, ships)
  3. Create new planet mzones/scenes for existing planets
  4. Create new (or revise existing) 3D models (e.g. ships, characters etc
  5. Modify fp weapon/ammo attributes
  6. Modify fp weapon/ammo loadouts
  7. Modify specialfx attributes (e.g. explosion density, types etc
  8. Modify specialfx bitmaps (e.g. for lasers, shots etc)
  9. Modify space background skyboxes
  10. Modify existing (or create new) voice and soundfx/music

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by SC: (We will be able to... ) "...Create new planet mzones/scenes for existing planets

Create new (or revise existing) 3D models (e.g. ships, characters etc"

quote:

Originally posted by SC: You can't change the name of the univere entities (e.g. region, moon, planet etc) because they are part of the world dataset. I am not going to release the tools needed to modify and/or create this dataset for a lot of reasons. Don't ask. Don't plead. Don't cuss. I never have and never will do it. Period.

3D world entities (stations etc) are not part of the world dataset. They are scripted. So, if you want to change the location of a station, you can. The world dataset consists only of the space/planet region data and jump anomalies only. Nothing else. This means that anything added to that dataset (e.g. stations, ships etc) has to be scripted - which GBS3 allows. But go messing around in the system scripts (i.e. change the default location of any assets (e.g. stations, ODS systems etc), you'll soon regret it.

I have been studying GBS I in an attempt to prepare for GBS III. I came across documentation for an unreleased tool called "Mapedit". I gather that it was not released because it changes the world dataset, is that right? Is this one of the tools you were referring to in the above quote, or will we have access to it eventually?

Also, per the above quote, does this mean for example that I could model and introduce an alien city to a planet by setting it up as a mzone or scene? I gather that this would not be construed as editing the world dataset, but am I correct?

Finally, you mention in the first sentence of the second paragraph that, because 3D world entities (like stations) are scripted, it will be possible to move them. But in the next couple of lines, you mention that messing around with system scripts (ie changing the default location of stations, etc) will probably get us into trouble. So can we move stations or not?

I understand that I should probably wait for the GBS III documentation, but any info that you are willing to divulge would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,

z

One more question,

The inclusion of plugins for 3DS MAX, Caligari's Gamespace, and Milkshape are all very much appreciated, and will all be extremely useful. It's obvious that you've already gone 'above and beyond' for aspiring UC modders, so I don't want to seem unappreciative or greedy when I ask:

Will there also be plugins for GMax (The free game oriented version of 3DS MAX)?

quote:

Originally posted by zardalu:

I gather that it was not released because it changes the world dataset, is that right? Is this one of the tools you were referring to in the above quote, or will we have access to it eventually?

That tool was retired back in 1999 and was last used in BC3K. It is not used in BCM or later tiles, having been replaced by PTEstudio - which I'm not going to release for reasons I mentioned related to changing the world dataset.

quote:

Also, per the above quote, does this mean for example that I could model and introduce an alien city to a planet by setting it up as a mzone or scene? I gather that this would not be construed as editing the world dataset, but am I correct?

You can't do it without PTEstudio

quote:

Finally, you mention in the first sentence of the second paragraph that, because 3D world entities (like stations) are scripted, it will be possible to move them. But in the next couple of lines, you mention that messing around with system scripts (ie changing the default location of stations, etc) will probably get us into trouble. So can we move stations or not?

Is it not clear that (a) stations are scripted, so they can be moved? (B) that you would get in trouble if you moved them?

quote:

I understand that I should probably wait for the GBS III documentation,

Good idea. GBS-III will be available for download sometime after the game is released.

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

[QB] Good idea. GBS-III will be available for download sometime after the game is released.

Awww that's a bummer. I was looking forward to seeing it on the CD. Oh well. I just hope it's released very soon after I buy UC.

Did you forget that the game was being rushed by the publisher? Where - in all the crap thats been going on - was there time for me to piss around with this [freebie] instead of rushing to get them an RC2 build so that the RC1 build does not ship.

Get a grip.

quote:

quote:

Did you forget that the game was being rushed by the publisher?

I know all that...

It's just a shame.

That's all...

Yeah, I know. But don't go commiting suicide or anything like that. Its only a game.

quote:

Yeah, I know. But don't go commiting suicide or anything like that. Its only a game.

Well, sheesh! I am not going to commit suicide or anything. Thats a little too dramitic there sir. Haha But Im glad that the developer is concerned for his fans well-being. Unlike the people over at everquest there, but thats a whole other story...

And to some people here, your battlecruiser series is not just a game sir.

Am I wrong people?

quote:

quote:

Well, sheesh! I am not going to commit suicide or anything. Thats a little too dramitic there sir. Haha But Im glad that the developer is concerned for his fans well-being. Unlike the people over at everquest there, but thats a whole other story...

And to some people here, your battlecruiser series is not just a game sir.

Am I wrong people?

Somewhere subconsciously we realize that, now if you will excause me, I need to brief some marines.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my copy, and spent all night getting my arse kicked : ) This game certainly lives up to my hopes and expectations, thanks DS!

I have been keeping an eye on the forums and I understand the current situation with respect to the release of the game, how does this impact the release of GBS 3, etc? Is that still a go?

quote:

Originally posted by zardalu:

I just got my copy, and spent all night getting my arse kicked : ) This game certainly lives up to my hopes and expectations, thanks DS!

You know where the first impressions thread is, right?

Hello all, first post ...

Derek,

I am working with Blender now for quite some time. It is an open source modeller/renderer/sequencer in one. It actually developed from a small to a very big and quite professional moelling package.

I think, that it is a good idea, to write an exporter for the Blender as well, because its free and is very well done and easy. (for instance, they implemented Python in it so that you dont have to wwrite C++ code for extending the program)

But, please have a look at it by yourself: http://www.blender.org

Of course, everyone else is more than welcome to do that as well - I would be interested in your opinions about that...

-Kniffo

I hope don't mind me asking this. I was wondering how to activate the cheat system in UC. I have tried everything that I can think of. I know the game is new just being out a week but I would just like to see what it has to offer. I just use UC for the roaming around space. I am so tired of having to use a program for blowing things up and killing. It is nice to have a program where it is up the user . I mean there are time when you have to defend your ship and crew. But there is a difference between protecting and killing to be killing. I might some day in the far far future play a compaign but not now. I like to explore and see what is out there. This is a true exploration program, thanks for making it for us. It is too bad that Dreamcatcher has done to DS. But I was just interested in the cheat activation code. User preference as they say. Thanks.

Guest drdespair

A little something that DS said in another post.. but realy should be here:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Mano Faber:

Hopefully GBS-III will be released in the future which will show the possibilities of this game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I just released it to you guys in our Beta program, since you are already familiar with GBS-I and GBS-II. I don't plan on releasing it to the public.

Did SC just say that he WASN'T going to release GBS III!? Because if so, I think I'm going to rant for a bit...

He has been constantly updating the product info to reflect how the game will be on release, and in each and every case, the 'NEW! GBS-III mission builder' has always remained!!!

Now he saying he's not even going to bother!!!?!?

It's been an entire year or so, and he's saying NOW that he's not going to release it!?!? That is just mean!! plain and simple! I thought there was at least, some sort of commitment to us this time.

He didn't release GBS II. This was because of fear from potential n00bie posts asking how to use the damn thing (oh, how scary!). I know it would probably suck answering all those silly posts, the work the extra effort, but you should always expect some morons here and there when something complicated like that comes along. And nobody says you have to answer them, let the beta people help them out or anyone else. This community shouldn't be entirely depended on you when it comes to tech support. And people should stop thinking that, it probably costs a lot of us GBS III.

MAN! Many people wanted to enhance their BC experience during BCM, and couldn't, because of those idiots!

We get shafted back then, and now we're getting shafted again.

I've been waiting for this tool since the stone ages and it's all I've looked forward to when it came to this game, and it gets revoked, simple as that. It's easy, if you want a modding community that keeps the longevity of the game game, you have to release the mod tools!

Arg... ok, I'm done.

You can now flame me...

hey, i was annoyed as hell by that too but you've got to understand the rush UC had and the Dreamcrusher publishers that tried to f*** up the SC down to his very last breath. Remember there was a 99% of these tools being released on the cd but the above reasons f***ed that and some other things if i remember correctly.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr_ Laracuente:

hey, i was annoyed as hell by that too but you've got to understand the rush UC had and the Dreamcrusher publishers that tried to f*** up the SC down to his very last breath. Remember there was a 99% of these tools being released on the cd but the above reasons f***ed that and some other things if i remember correctly.

But it's not like these tools were not developed or anything. The GBS III tool is fully functional, and wasn't under developed because of the whole "rush fiasco". From my recollection, it was already operating even before the name change.

It just never got released on the cd, no problem..

SC could easily have it as a download link then.

To say it was because of this whole dreamcatcher is stuff is just nonsense...

It's sitting, ready to go on SC's hard drive.