GUI Beeping

DrugCheese

I hope I'm posting this in the correct spot. I've been reading these forums for the past couple days and then finally went out last night and bought UC to decide for myself. Withen 5-10 minutes of reading the manual and ROAMing around I knew that I could easily get addicted to this game. The level of depth is awesome and the amount of imagination that it lets you experiment with in the ROAM world ... no words yet ..

The one thing that could possibly stand in the way of my addiction is the very loud BEEP you get between changning to different computers and such on the CC. I love the comm chattr and the sound FX, so after I had turned that off the game lost a bit of appeal. I want the comm chattr and the engine noises and the ship noises, I just don't want the GUI beeps. They're so loud compared to the actual effects of the game. Anyone know if I just replace some beep .wav files with blank wav files to get around that?

quote:

Originally posted by street:

my poor little dog runs for cover!!..LOL

LMAO!!

OK, this calls for a game modification.

1. Go to the GFXSOUNDFXOTHER folder and backup the three files in there by copying them to new .BAK file names. e.g. BEEP01.BAK. Note that the BEEP01.WAV and BEEP02.WAV files are just updated (and louder) versions of the same files contained in the MISC.ZIP file. They were added in one of the patches and since they are newer, the game will use them, instead of the same [older] files in the MISC.ZIP archive.
  2. Extract the MISC.ZIP into a temp folder. Then copy the BEEP01.WAV and BEEP02.WAV files into the same temp folder. Overwrite the older files when prompted.
  3. Using a sound editor (e.g. Audacity), lower the volume of all the sounds you want to change, then save them.
  4. When done, zip them up into an MISC.ZIP file and copy back to the SOUNDFXOTHER folder and the game will use them.

If you ever decided to revert to the game versions, just delete your MISC.ZIP file and rename the three .BAK files back to their original filenames.

*thread moved*

find the sound clip used for it and change it to a clip that has no sound in it, last I checked there was nothing preventing such modifications