The BCM community...

Baloogan

I have noticed after the release of the game the volume of posts has almost died...

How can we keep this as a viable community with new people everyday like before the release...

your thoughts?

[ 10-30-2002, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Baloogan:

I have noticed after the release of the game the volume of posts has almost died...

I think you're forgetting the most important aspect of how it works around here. People don't have to post if they don't have to. This is not a site where people are allowed to do anything they bloody well feel like. Thats why it is not chaotic like other boards.

The fact that few people post, doesn't mean anything. If everyone who purchased a BC game, posted here, about anything at all, it would be cluttered and the bandwidth cost would be higher than it already is.

The forum is open for viewing and unless you want to post, you don't have to register. And because it is uncluttered, people can find what they are looking for without having to post. If the forum was cluttered - as you seem to think is a mark of a large community - then they would have to post repetitive crap since they won't be able to find the info they are looking for, among the clutter.

Its not how much noise you make that counts, its the quality of the whisper that does.

I for one would care less if anyone ever posted. It keeps my board clean and my bandwidth costs down. Thats why I have very stringent rules about posting and in fact, posting is by approval only.

I don't think its gone to quiet around here. I've been away for a while and have to admit I noticed a slight drop in posts when I returned, but the regulars are still here.

I think SC is right the 3000AD site as a whole is well managed and finding information is very easy, thus a lot of Newbie how do I or I am having questions/problems are reduced.

Knowing how often I post, I can say that the postingf counts are not up to par with my replying abilities *snicker* but then again this forum is browsable, unlike the jossh one, which makes timeouts half the time. It's partially because of the amount of people that go on it (impressive considering how many people think jumpgate is dead) and the fact that it needs a serious upgrade ... but who cares *mumbles*

15 posts left!

OMFG, I was like SOOO thinking this last night. I read this post this morning, and well, didn't have time to reply. But anyways, here I am.

The forums are good. The community is sorta good, although the RPers have seemed to all but disappear.

What I believe the community needs is not a new forum (i.e., BCC), but an actual organized site such as the proposed Starstation Centron that was brought up as an idea AGES ago.

I was looking around, and realized how some of our organization has gone to be upgraded, only to disappear without a trace. We had the RP Timeline of DeSylva's a while back, which was the most thorough RP guide EVAR (lol ). We had the Fleet DB to organize who belonged where, who was what, how everything was organized, and what shipnames were taken.

I'm attempting to make a quick little page to make a mini database of the taken shipnames and owners at the moment, just to serve that little purpose, in case some newbie tries to take someone else's ship.

If I get a hold of Blades and/or DeSylva, I'll figure out what we can do about Centron, and what we're going to make out of it, if the operation is still go. Rumors have been around that Blades is gonna upgrade the BCC Forum (and/or the Orion Forum) to phpBB.

I'm trying to expand my current Newbie Welcome Wagon and PR Officer projects, by reviving old ideas.

IMO, the only thing that's been stunting this community is RL time. Which is far more important than the game, anyway. But, if we can find some of our old vets, and see if we can bring 'em back in time for MP, you just might see a big turnout of new stuff being chugged out constantly by some of the rest of us. I'm trying to put in my share by doing some old stuff I never finished; and I'm also trying to be the monkey on everyone elses back, trying to get them to finish their stuff as well.

No, it's not that the community is dry; it's just the loose ends. And I hate loose ends. And the fact that it's been months since any major RP has happened.

Currently working on the Newbie Projects. Later.

[update: BTW, I'm gonna re-upload the RP Timeline and any old documents I have lying around. The ISS website, which hosted it, is down, so I might as well.]

[ 10-30-2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

No, it's not that the community is dry; it's just the loose ends. And I hate loose ends. And the fact that it's been months since any major RP has happened.

Yep, I agree.

But, I'm patient and quite confident that oncee mp (even the Beta) is out, there's going to be a lot of noise over on the battlecruiser.net lobby and here as well.

Well, I couldn't figure out a good way to get an existing guestbook system to work for me with updatable information, so I decided to use the AvidGamers clan/community system, with some mods. It's been a long afternoon of chopjob coding. Anyway:

Temporary Commander DB Main Page

Commander Listing

Register into the Database here

Working on tweaking it right now. I mean, it's not gonna be very good, because I'm waiting for hte official FleetDB anywhoo. ^_^

[ 10-30-2002, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Heheh,

I've noticed less posts over time, (and I've not been posting a lot myself, been playing a lot of other games lately, totally hooked on Jedi Outcast).

I've kinda put it down to most of us getting quite used to the game, and not needing to ask as many questions. Also, the patches have fixed most of the quirks and bugs outright. Bugs stamped out = less posts of problems.

I agree with the post above about this being a pretty friendly community, I've been well treated here, (even though there were a few times I didn't deserve it heheh).

This is probably my first post in 3 months, but it doesn't mean I'm not still here, and not still interested.

Take care.

Idaho

[ 10-31-2002, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: Duncan Idaho ]

Sooner or later real life catches up to some of us. And we quietly move to the shadows of the sidelines, only occassionally stepping back into the light. And as we step back, newcomers step forward. The face of this forum is ever-changing.

quote:

Its not how much noise you make that counts, its the quality of the whisper that does.

Well said -- I'd rather see quality over quantity any day (except on my salary ) That's one thing that makes this community different. The noise-to-content ratio is very low, something many of us appreciate.

quote:

The forums are good. The community is sorta good, although the RPers have seemed to all but disappear.

Yeah, I remember Blades, Akuma, Foss. The "Into the Fire" RP. sigh Haven't seen much of that even over at BCC.

I miss all those old vets (non-RP and RP).

Heya,

I've gotta agree with Mr. Schultz here, RL is the main factor for the lack of posts most especially true for me.

For example the last 2 weeks have been a rollercoaster ride, with my company moving to a new premises, first, I lost my net connection and then I lost my modem in the move.

Factor in the chaos of moving a law office (and all its files for the last 25 years) and a construction company and all its plans and whatnots, you see the chaos involved.

And that's just a slight part of the things that I have had to deal with in the last 5 months.

But things are getting better and Intercorp's latest website itieration will be done soon.

Guest Grayfox

i really dont think the number has gone down all that much. since i joined on last year, basically the same people are still here with a few additions, and very few subtractions.

a change in RL atmosphere can change the way some people post, then theres those who do nothing but post even if its gibberish. i try to only post if i see something of interest, or to reply to something said to me, or (if rarely the case) i find something i need tech support on.

ive been here a year (almost) and im nearing 1000 posts... so what? that doesnt mean ill go out of my way to clutter up the boards with horse s*** so i can say w00t OMFG IM AT 1000!!!!!!11!!1!!... i dont think so.

in short, i think the community is fine. almost perfect for a niche title. and like a few have been saying, when MP comes out, there will be more than enough new community members.

remember its not the quantity, its the QUALITY

that goes for community members as well as posts.

[ 11-01-2002, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

w00t OMFG IM AT 1000!!!!!!11!!1!!
... i dont think so.

that goes for community members as well as posts.

i agree with you Garyfox. but im jealous because your ahead of my posts!

{edit{ lol! i mispelled your name Grayfox(remember Greyfox? ){/edit}

[ 11-01-2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Commander Elio Jason ]

It's absolutely terrible... imagine a community without 1000 wish list posts a day, endless flame wars and all the other crap that you see on other developers forums!! How do we ever manage?? I don't know about anybody else, but I find it impossible to hate anybody in this community, even the hippy liberal types

I think it's almost funny, really. I mean, look at the almost endless supply of ignorant people who take any opportunity to flame Derek in other forums and reviews about the way he runs these forums, and really this is probably one of the better communities on the net.

• 3 weeks later...

Litvyak,

Heheh, it's certainly one of the best behaved communities on the Net. Derek may seem strict, but someone should give him credit for keeping this forum in line.

Hell, he's even got ME saying 'Now sit down and shut up.'

Idaho

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

Hell, he's even got ME saying 'Now sit down and shut up.'

Idaho

hehe, I'm contagious like that

nuff said

quote:

I love this community. It's one of the last friendly forums on the internet. I agree that once MP and BCG comes out, there will be more posting. But it's not bad as it is now.

That's just what I was about to say