New Community Forum

Gallion

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ack, this is what happens when I take a day off from the net. The database has develped a problem and it has nothing to do with being hacked. I'm going to recover it from backup if neccesary, which means we may lose a days worth of posts. Small glitch, nothing to see here, move along.

It might be that my ISP being too slow. It sometimes suffers from time-outs. Can't wait for my cable connection to be upgraded to 1Mb/sec.

But the Cmdr. Community is definately down.

quote:

Originally posted by Menchise:

quote:

This site is hacker proof.

I thought there was no such thing as a hacker-proof site.

Believe me, if Derek says it's so, it is.

The SC could make a killing just providing online Security Services to other businesses.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

This site is hacker proof. The only way they can get in, is to hack into the ISP itself.

has anyone ever tried to do that??

and how many times have people tried to hack your site/forums SC???

Guest Grayfox

hmmm after reading this thread for awhile, i decided to toss my 2 cents in. the only error i EVER got was a flood error or something similar... it said i was posting too fast and to try again in 60 seconds lol

other than that, nothing. everythings been coming up, albeit sometimes its slow during peak hours, but thats to be expected.

Tis fixed. Thanks for being patient. Seems the trouble was more to do with the hosting webserver than anything else, but that wont be an issue for much longer since im moving the whole thing to a different webserver in the next two days. Now I just gotta reach into my pocket and register that domain name. Anybody got any suggestions?

Guest Shingen

I would think it would be rather obvious...

BCC.com

BCC.org

BCC.net

etc...

'nuff said...

P.S. I would be more then willing to financially support the BCC ISP, as the site is a necessity and MUST be preserved.

[ 04-01-2002, 16:08: Message edited by: Shingen ]

Ok chaps, this ones a biggie. I've migrated the entire site from the crappy fasthosts server I've been forced to use over to my companies webserver. Although I have yet to register a domain name and get it set up on my works server, I've set up a tempoary subdomain on the orionfleet.com domain for the time being. The direct access address is at http://www.forum.orionfleet.com but there is a redirection in place at the old BCC forum site so theres no real need to update your browsers until bccforum.org gets set up. It will probably happen by tuesday. I'll post more then.

• 1 month later...

I am going to make it short, sweet and simple.

I no longer post on the Usenet unless it is related to the game or somesuch. Today, I got an email pointing me to this thread.

Then I browsed over to the BCC (where I seldom post) thread in question.

...and read the whole thing.

In this post, I am only going to address this Shingen character. He is the same one whose non-BCM threads I deleted from here. And after getting insulting posts/emails, I subsequently banned him from the site.

What followed, you can see in this thread and this thread.

I have said this time and time again, and I am going to say it for the last f*cking time, posting here on my site, is a priviledge, not a right. As such, I can do what I bloody well feel like. The General Discussions forum is for all manner of nonsensical postings - and which I don't monitor, nor care about.

Other game related forums, I have to spend time monitoring and ensuring that they are free and clear of rubbish. I have zero patience and tolerance of detractors, trolls, crybabies, ****heads and the like. You don't like me, don't ****ing come here. Period.

Now, if you go and disparage me in another forum, thats your problem - but don't think that means I'm going to turn a blind eye when you DO come here, just because you didn't do it here.

If you find that after this posting you can longer post on this forum, you know why. Send me email or private message about it, and I will kill your forum profile and ban you from the site. End of story.

That is all I have to say about this

For what it's worth, let it be known that I have nothing but the utmost respect for Derek and the other forum leaders here and at BCC. You guys are doing an excellent job.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

quote:

Originally posted by Menchise:

Some unqualified advice: start using Apache.

Yeah, you should see my friend's logs.. he got megs of logs from DoS attacks either from people or Code Red-type viruses. That tends to slow down his internet conection... and he has the same as mine (120kb/16kb kilobytes no kilobauds)

Don't know if it's useful but i like snort Intrusion Detection System a lot. Can create big logfiles though if you log all packets. It is opensource and has various rulesets. Detects CodeRed, Nimda, portscan with superscan, nmap etc.

Works on most unix verions an on windows too.

snort

• 7 months later...

As of January 1st 2003 this forum is closing down. A new forum is being set up to replace it and help revitalise the Battlecruiser Commanders Community as a whole. Sadly, the old database is not compatible with the new BB software (phpBB) so everyone is going to have to reregister. The old database will be saved, and if at some time in the future a utility is written to allow me to import the old data into the new MySql database it can be done.

Please note, the new forum will be located at http://www.bccforum.net but wont be available for population until 12pm (GMT) Wednesday 1st January 2003.

Thats all folks!