Profile Avatars

Supreme Cmdr

I have enabled the use of custom avatars. You can access your profile and select from a list of 26 avatars.

Though I have 88 avatars in that folder, for some reason UBB only displays 26. Still trying to find out why that is.

You can download and view the list of avatars I have collected from around the Net.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I noticed it when I got onto the forums. Um, the blank.gif image for those who don't have an avatar isn't working.

And how do you set a custom avatar?

Anyway, thanks for the cool updates, boss.

(Edit--Oooh, cool. Just trying on a few avatars.... )

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

Yep I noticed it when I got onto the forums. Um, the blank.gif image for those who don't have an avatar isn't working.

And how do you set a custom avatar?

Anyway, thanks for the cool updates, boss.

(Edit--Oooh, cool. Just trying on a few avatars.... )

oh? I didn't know that I needed to add a blank.gif for the default. The instructions didn't mention it. OK, I will create one now.

To set a custom avatar (like mine) you have to upload the avatar to my server, then I have to update your profile manually. You already know the answer to that one I think: Its not gonna happen.

Once I figure out why all 88 avatars are not listed, there will be more to choose from. And if anyone has avatars they want me to upload, then I'd like to see them first.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

ACK! I don't want an avatar! I keep having the blue thing displayed!

Don't change it to a non-existent avatar again. If you do, I will delete your profile.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Supreme_Cmdr ]

Perhaps you could change the default to a small transparent gif file. (I'm guessing this because blank.gif probably means a blank gif file.......)

Browsing the forums and seeing tons of smurfs is pretty amusing, but.... I think it's best to make it optional. Only IMO, of course.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme_Cmdr:

Don't change it to a non-existent avatar again. If you do, I will delete your profile.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Supreme_Cmdr ]

*sigh* I thought I could get rid of it... That was one thing I liked with those forums... no little annoying image... will there be a way to get rid of the avatar?

Or enter a custom url for a av?

BTW I noticed each time I go and modify my profile I must re-enter my CD-key... is it normal?

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

*sigh* I thought I could get rid of it... That was one thing I liked with those forums... no little annoying image... will there be a way to get rid of the avatar?

Or enter a custom url for a av?

BTW I noticed each time I go and modify my profile I must re-enter my CD-key... is it normal?

#1: Wait until SC replies to my thing above about making the default avatar blank. Or another idea is to set an avatar, "none", which would be a blank one, if SC wants to keep the smurfs as the norm.

#2: On other UBB forums, you upload your pics to the acutal server. SC doesn't have a lot of space & bandwith to spare..... You can't manually change the URL, either.

#3: Don't put your CD-Key in your forum profile. The field shouldn't be there anymore, because anyone who looks at your profile can get your CD key--and that's not a good thing.

Fendi and I exchanged a few PMs a while back, and IIRC, SC deleteted all of the CD-Key things in forum profiles to protect against that security risk.

quote:

Originally posted by Oban:

I cant seem to view them all in my profile update, some are just blank boxes.

Same thing on my end. Also, since SC said that there were supposed to be 83 or so avatars displayed, I decided not to speak up about it. I think he's already aware of this. But when he works out the kinks, everything will be all good.

I chose avatar 4 but it's dead. In the downloaded folder it is avatar04.gif. But right click the dead pic and it is listed as avatar4.gif.

Bet 1 - 3, 5 - 9 are the same way. The double digit avatars (IE avatar14.gif) seem to be working fine.

Like the avatars and all but i thought that worked by someone putting a link from some place then posts it up--

rrrg that didnt come out right

ok the person types in the link

and then when someone looks at the post the pic is loaded

hmm dont think that came out right either