New Forum Registration Rules

Supreme Cmdr

Soback, don't worry. If you pay them money it is not a vanity address.

Juno is the only exception as far as I know. They do have a freebie plan with limited usage. If you exceed that usage they warn you and then invite you to upgrade to a pay plan. It was this way a year ago when I was checking my juno account. I used to use it when AOL went wiggy.

So don't worry. AOL is not a vanity address no matter how much people hate them or which screen name you use.

Menchise: Glad you were vindicated. Welcome back!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

Well, I was actually asking if SC is considering AOL to be vanity or not.

No am not. AOL, have a strict non-nonsense policy. All it takes is one complaint and proof and the entire a/c will be deleted. They get sued too many times, and they end up losing most of the time.

Yeah, I don't blame them (AOL for wiping the whole account if there are complaints). There are some really wacky people that can IM you sometimes. You sitting there, minding your own business, then all of a sudden an IM pops up, something like "Cindy69" "Wanna chat?, or a/s check or some internet address inviting you to visit." It's funy, but sometimes can be annoying, especially when you start wondering that you are paying for.

SC said this other thread was going off topic, so here's my two bits on the creation of Newbie forums under the new system, quoted from that other thread:

quote:

What about multiple newbie forums (one for each major section)? Actually, that may be hard...

Or how about hyperlinks on each major forum's top-level page to a main newbie forum?

Something like:

"Are you a newbie, or have newbie questions that need answered? Post them _here_!"

at the top of every forum where it will be prominantly seen, and then have it link to the one and only official newbie forum?

My .02.

One Newbie thread, big letters, clearly marked, SC already has a perfect introduction all ready written, you may want that 'Read this first!' Right at the top of the Newbie forum. Then it's all good.

Matter of fact, you might want it to read 'If you are new to the Battlecruiser series, read this first!'

Or, 'If you just joined...'

Or whatever.

Newbies are going to need all the prodding and herding they can get. The more they are herded into they're own forum, the less they'll post on others. Again my 0.02.

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Kush ]

quote:

Originally posted by Menchise:

All's forgiven.

phew! close call

No, really, I should never have doubted to. The evidence was just too compelling.

Apart from the vouches from others here (including my inner self ) and my buddy's report, Macon DeWitt sent an entire email that reads like an FBI report (complete with IP info etc), indicating why he doesn't think its you. heh

SC a question my e-maiil address is @iol.ie and I can understand the reason why you want a ISP e-mail address but as far as I know Irish ISP's aren't very helpful as regards complaints etc in fact I have e-mail addresses from other ISP's that I have a while now and despite asking on numerous occassions to have them deleted they still exist. Also the connection I use to IOL is a free dial up account I pay for nothing except my call charges does that mean I will be booted?

Email CAT ([email protected]). Didn't you read the disclaimers on the Register page?

quote:

NOTICE: If you were previously registered but find that you can longer access the forum, send your username to [email protected]. We will investigate and if you are a member in good standing, will restore your old profile. There is NO need to re-register. We DO have backups of all profiles recently deleted in the forum purge.

Nova, over and out.

To support the "read-only" forum point of view :

I have been looking for a successor to an "Elite type"(SF and freedom) game for years. And what convinced me BCM could fit in was not the dev diary, nor the free BC 2.0, but the living community running around that game.

I have been playing to Total Annihilation since 3 years now, so I believe I understand the value of a living community. When you have a living community for years, then there is an interesting game behind.

I do not trust games reviews/preview, but when I did read posts in the forums I just told myself 'well, even if I've never seen such an ill tempered guy , what is done seems worth buying'.

Period. (as would say SC)

So I strongly support to find a technical way to have read only forums (general discussion, hints/tips, stories). If people have to register to write in it, so be it.

But if the forum was closed, and I had only only access to general discussion, I am not sure I would have been interested to the point of preordering the game.

Of course, it is a newbye advice, to take as such, but do someone think I am the only one choosing his games that way ?

PS : SC wrote "I have ZERO interest in newbies. " but newbies may have interest in your games. I can only disagree as everybody in the community started as newbies.

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: Unknown_Enemy ]

To some degree, I agree with Unknown_Enemy that newbies are very important to getting some fresh blood around here, and if we neglect them, they won't come. However, that's what the demo is for, and we should keep the demo forum open to the public as well, and let people who don't own the game yet to partially register so they can post in the demo and general discussion forums. After they buy the game, they can enter their key and be given access to the rest of the boards. But I think SC already has all this figured out and I've already voiced my opinon, so whatever he has planned is all right with me.

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

To some degree, I agree with Unknown_Enemy that newbies are very important to getting some fresh blood around here, and if we neglect them, they won't come. However, that's what the demo is for, and we should keep the demo forum open to the public as well, and let people who don't own the game yet to partially register so they can post in the demo and general discussion forums. After they buy the game, they can enter their key and be given access to the rest of the boards. But I think SC already has all this figured out and I've already voiced my opinon, so whatever he has planned is all right with me.

Indeed

Also, some people are forgeting that there is nobody back here being PAID to monitor this forum etc. A lot of companies either (a) don't bother with their forums (B) don't even HAVE forums © pay a group of people to take care of it.

So, when we spend a LOT of time and money (bandwidth isn't cheap) developing a game, supporting it etc, that LAST thing anyone needs is to clog the forum with either (a) crap or (B) repetitive bullshit.

For me, this place is like a club.

There are rules.

You don't like the rules, clear the hell out.

Period.