New Forum Registration Rules

Supreme Cmdr

Some of you may have noticed that the forum is no longer viewable to the public. You can try this by logging out and trying to view without logging in.

That said, in the coming weeks, I will be changing the forum software and killing UBB.

From that point on, only owners of BCM, or any future games, will be allowed into the new forum. I will maintain this older forum for viewing purposes only and all the threads made read only.

Unfortunately, I have to go this route because I simply do NOT want people coming to my board if they have NO business being here. So, hopefully by the time BCM actually ships, the new forum will be in place. If not, I will still set this forum to read only. Once it goes online, you will require your BCM registration number (from the game itself) to register. This will be matched against the database and only then will you be allowed to enter this forum to read or even to post.

Yes, you WILL have to re-register as NONE of the older records will be carried over. NONE. So, don't even ask.

This is NOT open to discussion, and the first person to post anything to this thread, contrary to what I have just stated, I don't f*cking care if you've been around since WWII, you're getting banned. Yes, its THAT simple.

If you have any suggestions, (software to use etc, but am planning on use OpenTopic), thoughts etc, as long as they are in line with the plan I have just ironed out, I would be happy to hear them.

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also considering hiring a part-time forum admin person to oversee the forum. Justin is just the web dude and is not suited to that task.

So, if any of you have any experience in this sort of area, send email and an informal resume to [email protected] and I will consider it. Remember, while it is a paying job, it is a part-time one, and which is created to augment the efforts of the moderators.

Open Topic seems like a nice enough software to navigate in. I say go for it.

I also agree with the register using the Product Number itself. It has several advantages like weeding out idiots and also it enables you to identify pirated software. I'm quite surprised why not many developers are doing this already.

If registration for this forum is denied anyone who has not purcached one of your games, how are you planning on handling future demo feedback and technical support? In my experience public forum is the very best way to do this. Gamers can help each other if they run into issues that are not listed in manuals or FAQ's, and anyone with a shred of patience can get an answer to a question for which one already exists.

It is however a good idea to restrict discussion forums for a commercial game as those who pirated the title won't be able to participate.

Hum... and what us that can't get the game before a while? what de we do? It's just a question, I want to be informed... It's the place that gets most of my webhits.

Of course I'm trying to get the game ASAP

And the forums don't look different from UBB ones. I suppose we can only see the difference on the inside. It's not a bad thing.

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Well not all of us have enough money... If I'm lucky I should have the game in early November. If I'm realistic I should have it in mid-november, maybe more.

It's because I fear that I won't have any place to talk with my buddies but the Orion forum, and there is far less people there than here...

quote:

This is NOT open to discussion, and the first person to post anything to this thread, contrary to what I have just stated, I don't f*cking care if you've been around since WWII, you're getting banned. Yes, its THAT simple.

Hey, man, dn't spaz! ur the SC, u can du vhat ever u like...

plz dn't close this forum until like people in cold canada can get there fingers on a preodered copy form like July this year and there fore get the cdkey or vhat ever, reg number....

quote:

I thought most of us here who posted has preordered already so we have nothing to fear.

Yup...

quote:

Well not all of us have enough money... If I'm lucky I should have the game in early November. If I'm realistic I should have it in mid-november, maybe more.

In canada, where E5 and i live the game is gonna be about 90-100 can$ in america it is 60 or so...

I'm sorry I didn't know about the prices and the money rates in Canada so I apologize once again for my post. Here in England the price in BMT Micro is about the average price of any games here so I always took it for granted and never thought of other currency's difference. Sorry.

Ok, I have thought about it, and I have an idea for folks like me, and idea that wouldn't go against SC's idea.

What about keeping the "general discussion" (on the old forum) section open? I mean, that section is for all discussion, NOT related to the game. I and the other people in my situation could still talk with the people, as long as it's not about BCM (ooohh that would be quite hard for me... ), as I eagerly wait for the moment I can put my greasy hands on the blue box from the heavens, and be able to talk about the game.

So what do you think?

It's good to have a heads up on this...

Well, Epsilon you do have AW to continue until you get ahold of BCM, and I think this is an excellent idea for keeping unwanted people out. Um, I am not sure what precipitated the current lockdown, perhaps fear of an impending mass registration by VE idiots.

Anyway, I will kind of miss these boards... but well can't say I thought they would last forever as UBB. Well, would be interesting to see.

quote:

If registration for this forum is denied anyone who has not purcached one of your games, how are you planning on handling future demo feedback and technical support? In my experience public forum is the very best way to do this. Gamers can help each other if they run into issues that are not listed in manuals or FAQ's, and anyone with a shred of patience can get an answer to a question for which one already exists.

Which part of what I posted was unclear?

Demo : They are not supported and never have been. So I don't give a toss if anyone wants support for it or not.

Tech Support : This is a non-issue. Obviously if you own the game, then you have access to the forum, hence tech support.

What'd I miss in your post?

As Episilon 5 suggested, I will probably keep the General Discussion forum on UBB open. While the OpenTopic forum will also have such a forum, it will be restricted to registrants only.

If someone don't have the game, they're not getting in. No exceptions. Why? Because that forum is specifically for the game and if you don't own it, don't belong in there. I will, on a case by case basis, make some exceptions - especially in the case of staunch BC community members such as E5.

I have a humble sugestion for the general BCM public.... In a couple weeks there could be a flood of new members... People who have never played BC3000AD or the BCM demo( me ) but have just purchased BCM. They may post Trivial, newbie, generally knob oriented questions. Many of which could be easily looked up. I think Vets. should look at future posts like " im lost" or " i keep flying my BC in to the space station Help!!" with renewed understanding.. That is, an understanding that helping these people make the transition from newbie to "Supreme BC commander" is going to get more people onboard with buying BCM and simialr quality games(GCO!).

I cant tell you how frustrated I am with the current state of games being released ( which i blame on game publishers(bastards!))..People need to support great games like BCM and its Develoment path..This means getting more potential gamers into the fold.. If we could get those people who are about to buy "panty raider" or "deer Hunter6" to buy BCM the world would be a better place.... Ok well maybe this is unrealistic but there are people out there lusting for a game like this but dont know about BCM... There are some who thru word of mouth or future game reviews will here about and Purchase BCM..We need to help those people get over the difficult task of learning the basics of BCM for they will tell others of there BCM experience. Thats one more copy sold, one more dollar in the jar for GCO, and an FU! to the infidel game publishers..ops sorry little Ben ladien anger poping thru

I myself never played BC300ad but I've read the Bc3kman, praticed with the bcm demo, will be reading the BCM manual, other relavent docs., and will be praticing ... If i see a post asking somthing I know about im going to give that post my most detailed reply; even if I feel that poster is just to lazy to look up info readly avaliable.

just my thoughts

Ps. i love the idea of people with ripped copies of BCM not being able to log in to the fourms and asking questions like " I have a ripped copy of BCM and im getting errors HELP!!". BTFG buddie!

quote:

Originally posted by mike:

I have a humble sugestion for the general BCM public.... In a couple weeks there could be a flood of new members... People who have never played BC3000AD or the BCM demo( me ) but have just purchased BCM. They may post Trivial, newbie, generally knob oriented questions. Many of which could be easily looked up. I think Vets. should look at future posts like " im lost" or " i keep flying my BC in to the space station Help!!" with renewed understanding.. That is, an understanding that helping these people make the transition from newbie to "Supreme BC commander" is going to get more people onboard with buying BCM and simialr quality games(GCO!).

Agreed 100%

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Demo : They are not supported and never have been. So I don't give a toss if anyone wants support for it or not.

What'd I miss in your post?

But don't you think that it's a good idea for developer to maintain a public discussion place for a released demo, even if the demo is unsupported? On a public forum gamers can help each other with known but perhaps still undocumented issues as well as provide feedback.

It might be just me though, anything that reduces the amount of redundant incoming email is OK in my book :)

I personally think it's a good idea to make a private forum for those that buy the game. It sure as hell weeds out the majority of the 'idiots' out there, besides it is a forum about BCM, not Panty Raider or Deer Hunter 6. Considering that the primary site will still be here and all the information pertaining to the game will still be available, I don't anticipate this being a problem. I have every intention of buying the game...my "problem" is that I live too far away from EB and have no vehicle, but that's not a real problem, if I want it (I do) I will go out and get it...I just didn't preorder. I have the computer, I have the joystick, I have the 19 inch monitor...I'm ready for it.

quote:

Originally posted by Jukka T. Paajanen:

But don't you think that it's a good idea for developer to maintain a public discussion place for a released demo, even if the demo is unsupported? On a public forum gamers can help each other with known but perhaps still undocumented issues as well as provide feedback.

It might be just me though, anything that reduces the amount of redundant incoming email is OK in my book

I suppose so. So, that is probably be one of the old UBB forums (which would still need registration) which I will leave open.