New Forum Registration Rules

Supreme Cmdr

Well, in one way he was kind of joking, but he did indicate that he wasn't interested in abiding by the rules to participate on the new forum, then how important is the current forum for him really?

Well Macon, hope you reconsider when you purchase BCM, and BTW what is your sister's bra size?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

OK Macon, great! You're banned and gone for good. see ya!

I just love threats.

Who's next?

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I'm going to take your damned game and PLAY IT! See if you can stop me! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

And that is exactly the reason why we need private forums for people who bought the game. I for one don't want to bother with some dimwhit who only wants to stir up things and doesn't have anything legitimate to say.

Hey Macon,

I hear ya, I know how you feel, I've been there. I'm not worried.

I actually think it's a GREAT idea from a tech support angle, to have as a part of registration handing over my computer specs. It may become problematic cause I change something in my computer every six months. Sometimes I upgrade the whole shooting match, and I know myself, I won't remember to change my stats on the site. I'll try but I know I won't.

It's still a good idea I think.

And the marketing stuff... well, personally I don't give a damn if he knows my profession unless I'm unemployed. Then it would just bugs me that someone somewhere knows I'm spending my time gaming and not working.

But personally I don't see it as being such a big deal. But I also think that anyone I give personal information to should take it very seriously. It's a delicate thing in this age, to allow someone to know you and yet at the same time know nothing about you is what the internet is all about. Knowledge is power. I have faith that Derek wouldn't do anything un toward with my info, but no one can be sure about someone hacking into the site and taking the info, then what.

Personally I don't think you should be concerned, but I can see why you are concerned.

Imo, read only access for those who have not registered with the game ID # may be a good solution.

I do read a lot of forums before I buy a game. My one mistake was not reading the WW2OL forums...bought the game... and im screwed now.

Back to your regular programming mike...

Enjoy talking to a dead man, Kush?

---

Flushing and having everyone re-register could be a good idea, in the meantime before the new forums are up. At least poor old Shirley's gonna be pissed.

But then, that would sorta affect some lurkers, or those on leave. But they can re-register anyway, right?

I'm not sure it's the best idea, but it's a good idea for now (at least before BCM is out and new forums and all are here). I'm wondering what everyone else thinks.

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

Imo, read only access for those who have not registered with the game ID # may be a good solution.

Well, there's one good idea....

but the problem is that UBB or any forum software, won't allow that. You register, you can post. You don't register, you can't post. And if the forum is read-only, how are you going to post? And if you don't post, how can someone else with read-only access, read?

See the catch-22?

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

Oooh, a plan. Can't wait to see it, SC.

It's a good one. And you probably won't see it until it's already rollin'. And, once in place, all of our online BC lives will be MUCH easier. Especially behind the scenes.

All I can say is that you guys have NO idea how much work Derek puts in to keeping this place clean. I help as best as I can, but he tirelessly works at it.

...and I forgot to mention, and am serious about this:

Flaming of newbies, no matter how stupid the question, WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

Anyone violating this, will be IMMEDIATELY banned. I swear it, no questions asked. Heck, if I do it, I'll even ban myself!

No seriously, I mean it. If you want to have a text file ready someplace or a clipboard program, have a stock message ready and just post that instead. We CANNOT afford to alienate newbies this time around, now that BCM has a lot more non-hardcore features in place.

quote:

It's a good one. And you probably won't see it until it's already rollin'. And, once in place, all of our online BC lives will be MUCH easier. Especially behind the scenes.

Good!

quote:

All I can say is that you guys have NO idea how much work Derek puts in to keeping this place clean. I help as best as I can, but he tirelessly works at it.

I for one, appreciate the work that Derek and you put into it, Aramike. Also, I'm late on responding, but I do agree with the SCs intention of redoing the forum access.

wow what a read folks.

i totaly agree with the new forum.

i am running a board to for fun and i can see how irrating some new folks can be, hehe thats why my nurse is typing and im sitting here wrapped up in a white jacket , catch me drif.

oooh nursie 1 cola to with it please..

[dokters come rushing in , nick come with us]

[ooh boy here i go again]

quote:

Well, there's one good idea....

but the problem is that UBB or any forum software, won't allow that. You register, you can post. You don't register, you can't post. And if the forum is read-only, how are you going to post? And if you don't post, how can someone else with read-only access, read?

See the catch-22?

Well chief, seems its time for you to code your own UBB *grin*

Got a question and I don't know whether it deserves another thread or not.

Anyway here goes.

Will the Fleet database server also require the registration number? In my opinion it should because

quote:

if you don't own it, don't belong in there.

Would be more work now but make it more secure here on out. I think at least.

You're not gonna kill me are you? *sniffle* I'm kinda confused about all of this but I need you to know that I cannot play the game! It dosen't mean that I don't like it! I think it's awsome and I do follow the progress closely! Unfortunatly my computer won't run it. (My computer sucks and my sister keeps putting MP3's all over it so there's no space...Family Computer ya know...Heh)

I agree with the purging. It just makes more sense. Heck if I have to I'll buy a game! I don't want to leave my friends behind! This is my family!

Oh and... **Pounces her Unky Rattler** I missed you!!!!

Don't kill da kitty...*looks all innosant like and cute* Meow.

If I have to I'll earn my keep by helping out elsewhere...If there's anywhere for me to help out at. I'll do what I can. Just ask!

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Akuma Minako ]

Idea: Just rework it so it needs the registration from the new forum.......... So any future newbies will have to have the game. For now, we're purging inactives, and whatnot. At least we'll know we won't have any non-playing, lurking, fools who just love the fact that they're screwing with us and wasting our space.

For that idea, you might need some reworking depending on changes in stuff with OpenTopic (or not; I'm not sure about any if/how things about using OpenTopic, and I don't know what you're doing with the current Fleet DB.). Then again, Justin always seems to be tight with that stuff anyways.

Anyway, it'd be good, because 1) it keeps non-players out; 2) security really needs beefing up.

Or you can do what Chavik said. Either way is cool.

(Post 500!!!! 0.5k!!! *does a happy dance*) spin2.gifqusans.gifjump.gifcool.gif

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Charles Lindsey:

Got a question and I don't know whether it deserves another thread or not.

Anyway here goes.

Will the Fleet database server also require the registration number? In my opinion it should because

Would be more work now but make it more secure here on out. I think at least.

Yes. It will require client-side authentication. Just like Quake, Unreal etc

Akuma, relax - I already said that regulars will get back in, whether they get the game or not.

I wouldn't have banned Macon, but I just don't like people making veiled threats and I rarely give second chances. Someone disagrees with me, they send me private email. Anyone disrespect me in my frigging forum, and I don't care if they've been here since I first dreamt up the BC series, they're gone.

In fact, folks disagree with me all the time, here in in the forum - you don't see me banning anybody. I think about it, and say yes or no and move on. When I don't want anything to be a discussion, I usually indicate that in my post.

What puzzles me is how anyone could ***** so vehemently about a frigging registration form. Apart from the tech info, which *is* important, the other info is standard on the reg card for MOST games. Go look at one and you'll see. And the tech info is stuff that any game company would ask you for anyway, if you contacted them for tech support. All am doing is asking for it upfront.

This frigging excercise is costing me a fortune. In fact, just today I had to fork out more money to upgrade to TestTrack web so that bug reports can be handled automatically via the web. The current version I have doesn't allow it. You find a bug, you fill out the form in your browser, and it goes directly to the database. It gets fixed, you get notified etc.

Believe me, I'm dead serious about this stuff and I don't need people messing with me. I've got TOO much time, effort and MONEY into this project and I don't plan on losing a nickel of it.

I appreciate the hard work SC, the Team, the Beta guys, and the Admins have been doing. Handling n00bs and stubborn bast@%^$ on a daily basis... Working on the game... Keeping in touch with the forum... *applauds*

quote:

I've got TOO much time, effort and MONEY into this project and I don't plan on losing a nickel of it.

And you're going to get what you paid for, I'm sure. Even more, you'll get (hmm... lets see.. 1, 2, 3, etc.) 1000 nickel's ($50 US) back, per unit! (minus the production and whatnot, of course!) Ahhh, how could you lose?

You'll have my ca$h soon enough; once I have the PC to play it on, though. (And once I get one of my parents to let me use their credit card to order. *sigh* Being 14 sucks.)

quote:

Idea: Just rework it so it needs the registration from the new forum.......... So any future newbies will have to have the game.

That is currently the rule. It's in the Fleet FAQ. Up to the authorizing personnel to check it out though.

quote:

Anyone violating this, will be IMMEDIATELY banned. I swear it, no questions asked. Heck, if I do it, I'll even ban myself!

No seriously, I mean it. If you want to have a text file ready someplace or a
program, have a stock message ready and just post that instead. We CANNOT afford to alienate newbies this time around, now that BCM has a lot more non-hardcore features in place.

Whee!

I can already see this...

"You stupid !"/$??/!%&* moron! You just a f****ing stupid $%&$$ !!!

What was the question again?"

Derek made a very good point here. We have to be supportive with all the newbies that will be joining us very soon. If you don't like babysitting newbies, just don't reply and leave that work to the folks who enjoy it (like myself )

quote:

No seriously, I mean it. If you want to have a text file ready someplace or a
program, have a stock message ready and just post that instead. We CANNOT afford to alienate newbies this time around, now that BCM has a lot more non-hardcore features in place.