New Forum Registration Rules

Supreme Cmdr

Ok, I'll take a look at ISS... that is, if I could figure out what it is!

Oh, and if you want to talk to me about this, do so in the topic I started in General Fleet Discussions.

EDIT: Oh, my 100th post. No, I didn't notice till I was already 101.

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's my turn now, Nova.

Although I registered about three years ago, and started visiting the site in 1997, I took a long break from the forum between Jan 2000 (I think) and April 2001. Now I have more fun than ever.

*entering flashback mode*

I saw many new names on my return, and I was surprised by how many of those new names were actually veterans who changed usernames (you know who you are ).

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

If there is one thing I'd like to request SC, is for the new forums to have the gender shown in the profile. I remember the time one of these jokers on the board who thought that I was a woman . I can't remember who but it was during one of my failed attempt at humor.

Agreed... I approve of Forum Registration in general... I also approve of other good things such as kittens and puppies... I don't like snakes though.

Not sure what else I can say about it. My position is that we could have an email basis for allowing membership into a passworded forum (similar to the beta test discussions) that is for BCM. All legacy discussions should be archived, or at least a FAQ should be formulated for final bc3k issues out of the discussions.

Basically, you could probably keep UBB, just have to implement it differently. Keep General Discussions open for everyone, as well as RPG and General Fleet Discussion. Everything else should be redone and passworded on a direct basis (not sure if you can have multiple passswords or not).

But basically:

Open to everyone:

• General Discussions

• Roleplay

• Fleet Questions

Open to registered diff pass for each)

• Battlecruiser Millenium

• Galactic Command Online (when available)

• Development & Feedback Forum

• Fleet Recruitment

• so & so fleet (basically each fleets forum with diff passwords for each)

As far as people stealing passwords, etc. You could implement an auto mailer that automails registered members of a forum new passwords and implement an auto ban and deletion of profile for giving out the password.

That's just basic ideas I had.

I have disabled new registrations and won't be enabling it until the game starts shipping and the new rules are in place.

Also, I have deleted all profiles with vanity emails. There were some registered, prior to the rule being in place.

This is going to be painful, but on or around 10/15, I am scrubbing the ENTIRE registration database. There are some detractors on this site and I'd like to get rid of them. This means that EVERYONE would be required to re-register. And if you use your same username, then your previous posts will not indicate that you are not registered.

Without reservation, the only way anyone is going to gain access to some forums, is if you register and own the game (thats what we need the serial number for).

The tech support, demo and general discussion forums will not be subject to restrictions, but you will need to register and be approved, in order to post in them.

This is NOT open to discussion

Thank You

Okay, just so I'm clear on this...

We can re-register on the General forum without the game, to gain access to all other forums we'll need to have bought the game.

I just want to be clear, cause I don't think I'm getting a copy of the game before the 17th, and in case something weird happens with my order, (they misplace my number, they loose it behind a radiator) I would still love to be able to check out the general forum while waiting for my copy.

This makes runing a wing a little harder as im sure some of my members wont be getting the game right off the bat.

Im attemptimg to gain permission to buy the game from my parents but this will take some time....

i wont be getting mine before the second prod run in any case, so are you still going with that known memberts will be allowed to use all forums cause im kinda know i guess

either way, keep up the good work and dont shott me for asking a question im sure several others are going to ask anyways

I am disapointed and a little confused by the posts of some of the vets here. I see posts saying that some of you will only be able to get their copy of the game on a second run. That would be understandable for a newbie that was kinda caught off guard by when the game will be released and didn't have time to pre-order for the first production run, but for a veteran who knew about the game way back when and had almoust 6 months or more to pre-order that's just wrong. Yes, some of us don't have money, but how long does it take to save up $50 especially when you have a year time? I myself am a student, have bills and no money whatsoever and still managed to pre-order a copy because I know how great the game will be and now I see some posts basically saying that look, we had plenty of time but it slipped. What's going on here?

Anyway, what I wanted to say is SC is extremly kind in leting the vets who didn't get the game reregister in the owners only forum. Some developer would just say "Look, you had plenty of time, it was no surprise that the game would be out this summer, so if you didn't get it the first time what makes me think that you will get it later. So sorry but no game no registration".

Where did you get that in my post? What I said is that SC is overly kind in letting veterans in the owners only forum without a valid game registration. It is his forum and he makes the rules so if he chooses to do that it's fine. What I was basically doing is trying to put some shame into people who knew about the game for a long time, knew it was coming out soon, and now that it's time starting to say things like they didn't pre-order when it was time and that they will get it on the second production run (which strongly believe they will otherwise they would not have hung around here for so long) but still, they should have pre-ordered in enough time to get the game in the first production run and not have the SC make exceptions and let people without a game register.

quote:

Originally posted by Ent1ty:

- remove any possibility of a NEW paying customer from learning about the product from current customers.

- continue to cater to the preadult fanbase who can't scrounge up $50 over a years time so that he doesn't completely lose all of his customers.

- reduce the chance that there is even a playable base of fans to enjoy a multi-player component.

Not trying to be offensive, but expecting to get banned nonetheless.

1st. New comers will be able to learn from the vets because some of the forums that don'e require a game will still be open and vets will be able to comunicate and answer questions that newbies have.

2nd. Some time ago people posted their ages and the average age came out to be around 27 to 30 I believe. So the majority of the fanbase is not young but I believe could be more organized.

3rd. How is the multi player component influenced by this new registration debate? People who have the game and upgrade with a multiplayer patch will play multiplayer if they want to, it's as easy as that.

quote:

I am disapointed and a little confused by the posts of some of the vets here. I see posts saying that some of you will only be able to get their copy of the game on a second run. That would be understandable for a newbie that was kinda caught off guard by when the game will be released and didn't have time to pre-order for the first production run, but for a veteran who knew about the game way back

when and had almoust 6 months or more to pre-order that's just wrong.

I can't speak for every veteran here (I don't think they'd want me to anyway ) but here's my explanation.

Yes, I have known about BCM for a while, but I didn't pre-order because I feel uneasy about ordering anything online or even by mail. I have only ordered a game online once, which was Independence War through Chips & Bits. It was supposed to arrive two to three weeks after I sent my money. It took six weeks for the game to arrive. Considering that C&B (and just about every other store) has a time limit after purchase for returns I was very annoyed.

There's also the issue of exchange rates. The Australian dollar is performing very poorly at the moment (the last time I checked, it was 50 US cents). That means that if I pre-order the game now, I'll have to pay approximately $108!

In any case, with the new forum rules, I'm probably going to pre-order soon. I just need to ask BMT Micro if they accept debit cards or bank keycards (I have no intention of ever getting a credit card).

Well, Ent1ty, I wasn't initially going to ban you. You have a right to your opinion and to express it on here.

Then it hit me -- I couldn't recall ONE thing you've EVER posted on here that was an actual contribution to a discussion. From shitty sarcastic remarks (and in that light, some seemingly innoculous remarks take on a whole new form), to false claims regarding your "purchase" of BCM, you've NEVER contributed positively to ANY discussion.

So I researched your post history. What I found is below. It all makes sense now. Apparently, everyone, Ent1ty is a troll. Each of his posts is linked below.

You decide, but NO flames. And until I think on this more, Ent1ty is restricted from posting here. When I'm finished thinking, he will be either reinstated to post, or (more likely), erased and banned from the board.

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000744

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000750

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000755

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000756

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000760

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000763

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000765

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000767

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000776

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000779

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...c&f=14&t=000127

quote:

2nd. Some time ago people posted their ages and the average age came out to be around 27 to 30 I believe. So the majority of the fanbase is not young but I believe could be more organized.

Heh. Try telling that to Fleet Commander Tac (he's 21, according to his ICQ profile). Or me. (I'm 14.) And these Orion commanders....

Ent1ty, those three reasons were just plain foolish. I've seen Shirly say stuff that had more relevance and ground! Ent1ty, don't worry about getting banned. Just don't re-register once the Reg wipe happens. At least SC doesn't have to take his time out to do so.

(Sheesh. There's always gonna be detractors. Guess I have my work cut out for me. )